The developer was fixing the outdoor part, which they used as a construction area, as part of the BA project The City are dealing with the Cloud Garden - to date no sign of any work on it.

I am uncertain what details they are discussing, it could simply be a legal handover, or something else.........

But Brookfield is talking w/the City about this site currently.

So, on a different note, I didn't offer any real assessment of the design of the new park when I last posted..........

I do have some thoughts.

I don't mind it...........though I have one particular huh? observation..........

First though.........

If you look at the new design the number one thing I will take out of it, is that is mostly designed to avert encampment issues.

The planters are elevated, the grade within them is sloped, and the plants have dedicated lighting.

One could talk about the unfortunate issues w/what I will call 'defensive design'.....but I do understand given issues w/the park before this project began that that thought was on people's minds.

I think the landscape is mostly nice, I'm not a huge fan of bare concrete; if solid stone were not an option due to budget, I'd like to have seen a stone veneer or some other upgraded edging.

The huh? moment is the choice to do that sod as a centerpiece.

First off, though it would certainly be conspicuous and awkward, it's level ground and perfectly suited to a tent..........seems odd given the other design choices.

I'm assuming they wanted something low to make the restored waterfall visible.

But I would have chosen a different ground cover and provided some sort of fixture/art/floral feature in the centre.

As it stands it rates a very solid 'good'...... but if feels just a bit value-engineered, and like it could be a level better than it is.

Cloud Garden update - or not. From the landscape architecture silo @ PFR. Pity they did not get their act together when it HAD to be closed but ....

"I don't know when the conservatory will re-open. I gather that there is some repair work needed to be done on the conservatory building itself first. We tried to coordinate the repairs (a City project) with the re-construction of the park by the developer, but were not successful in the end.

I'm in contact with our Horticulture & Greenhouses group and will let you know when I do have more information regarding the timing for re-opening."

July 18

IMG_1893.jpeg

Not sure if this has been discussed or confirmed until now – but Scotiabank's latest annual report (available on their website) declares Scotiabank North as their new global head office. They remain tenants in Scotia Plaza, but I suppose this new building is HQ now.

"In downtown Toronto, we have started welcoming employees into our new Scotiabank North tower, which will serve as our global head office...Scotiabank North represents our renewed commitment to the vibrancy of Toronto’s financial hub, and is a symbol of the important role that we play in the social and economic fabric of the cities where we operate."
It truly baffles me that Scotiabank would choose to relocate their global head office from the gorgeous one they have now to this smaller, nondescript glass box. I understand they need more modern office space which is fine but why not just hold onto their existing head office (the best of the bunch) while continuing to expand into newer office space?

It truly baffles me that Scotiabank would choose to relocate their global head office from the gorgeous one they have now to this smaller, nondescript glass box. I understand they need more modern office space which is fine but why not just hold onto their existing head office (the best of the bunch) while continuing to expand into newer office space?
Presumably because their execs want newer offices. I sadly doubt they think much about the outside aesthetic of the building.

Agreed. Scotia Plaza (down to its obviously deliberate material colour) was purpose-made to be an iconic head office for a global institution... this new building is every glass box everywhere (and not even a gorgeous glass box like the new Ontario Courts of Justice).

Agreed. Scotia Plaza (down to its obviously deliberate material colour) was purpose-made to be an iconic head office for a global institution... this new building is every glass box everywhere (and not even a gorgeous glass box like the new Ontario Courts of Justice).
Exactly. If the executives want newer office space fine but at least keep your official headquarters where they were meant to be.

I guess some companies just don't care as much about exterior aesthetics as they did back in the 80's. When the original bank towers were built no expense was spared on exterior design.

Exactly. If the executives want newer office space fine but at least keep your official headquarters where they were meant to be.

I guess some companies just don't care as much about exterior aesthetics as they did back in the 80's. When the original bank towers were built no expense was spared on exterior design.
To be fair, CIBC Square is pretty great, as is TD's new 160 Front St W (and as far as we know, that won't be the new TD head office...I sure hope not)... just this new building by Scotiabank is very particularly uninspired.

Agreed either way that none of this matches the original bank towers – from Royal Bank Plaza to Toronto Dominion Centre to Scotia Plaza, etc.

Funds now being allocated for Temperance Street and Cloud Garden Park. Council 16 June. http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2022.MM45.50

1. City Council amend the Council approved Transportation Services 2022-2031 Capital Budget and Plan in the amount of $1,892,000 for the Neighbourhood Improvements Program (CTP422-03) fully funded by Section 37 (Planning Act Reserve Fund) community benefits collected from the following developments to transfer funds to BAC Surface Inc. for construction and related costs to implement streetscape improvements on Temperance Street from Yonge Street to Bay Street:

a. $1,068,597 from Section 37 funds obtained from the development at 102 -118 Peter Street and 350-354 Adelaide Street West (Source Account: XR3026- 3701023)

b. $95,851 from Section 37 funds obtained from the development at 73 Richmond Street West (Source Account: XR3026-3700544).

c. $727,552 from Section 37 funds obtained from the development at 60 Shuter Street and 187 and 189 Church Street - (Source Account: XR3026- 3700961).

2. City Council amend the Council approved Parks, Forestry and Recreation 2022-2031 Capital and Plan to create a new capital sub-project known as Cloud Gardens Park Improvements in the Park Development project, with a project cost of $373,000 and cash flow commitments in 2023, fully funded by Section 37 and Section 45 (Planning Act Reserve Fund) community benefits collected from the following developments, to transfer funds to BAC Surface Inc. for construction and related costs to implement improvements to Cloud Gardens Park:

a. $93,245 from Section 37 funds obtained from the development at 73 Richmond Street West (Source Account: XR3026-3700544); and

b. $279,755 from Section 45 funds obtained from the development at 85 Richmond Street West (Source Account: XR3028-4500213).

3. City Council authorize the City of Toronto to enter into, and the General Manager, Transportation Services and the General Manager, Parks, Forestry and Recreation to execute on behalf of the City, any necessary agreements with BAC Surface Inc. for construction and related costs to implement streetscape improvements on Temperance Street from Yonge Street to Bay Street and improvements to Cloud Gardens Park, on terms and conditions deemed necessary and appropriate by the General Manager, Transportation Services, the General Manager, Parks, Forestry and Recreation and the City Solicitor, and in accordance with City policies applicable to capital projects.

4. City Council authorize the General Manager, Transportation Services to transfer up to $1,892,000 from the Council approved Transportation Services 2022-2031 Capital Budget and Plan from the Neighbourhood Improvements Program (CTP422-03) project to BAC Surface Inc. to fund the City's agreed cash portion for the construction and related costs to implement streetscape improvements on Temperance Street from Yonge Street to Bay Street, subject to BAC Surface Inc. entering into the necessary agreements with the City.

5. City Council authorize the General Manager, Parks, Forestry and Recreation to transfer up to $373,000 from the Parks, Forestry and Recreation's Approved 2022-2031 Capital Budget and Plan from the Cloud Gardens Park Improvements sub-project to BAC Surface Inc. to fund the City's agreed cash portion for the construction and related costs to implement improvements to Cloud Gardens Park, subject to BAC Surface Inc. entering into the necessary agreements with the City.​
Summary
At its meeting on May 23, 24 and 25, 2006 City Council adopted as amended Report 4, Clause 7, from Toronto and East York Community Council to amend Zoning By-law No. 998-88 (as amended by By-law No. 74-93 and by By-law No. 1994-0605) of the former City of Toronto, to permit, among other things, the development of the Bay Adelaide North tower at 40 Temperance Street as a 33-storey office building with a 10-storey podium. The site is bounded by Richmond Street West to the north, Cloud Gardens Park to the east, Temperance Street to the south, and existing commercial uses (353-359 Bay Street) to the west.

In lieu of making a Public Realm Improvements Contribution the owner (BAC Surface Inc.) entered into a Section 45(9) Agreement with the City to design and construct improvements to Cloud Garden Park and Temperance Street in addition to its Site Plan Approval obligations. The total cost of these additional improvements not to exceed an amount equal to the Public Realm Improvements Contribution and the amount of the Cloud Gardens Reinstatement Estimate.

The Owner's consultants and City staff worked collaboratively to prepare and finalize the design. Due to cost escalations greater than estimated in 2019 (pre-COVID) as a result of inflation, supply chain impacts and labour shortages the tender prices for the works are ~$2.265 million (net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries and fees) above the Owner's obligation. Supply chain issues have not all been resolved and some modifications to the design may be required.

This Motion requests authority from Council to amend both Transportation Services and Parks, Forestry and Recreation's 2022-2031 Council Approved Capital Budgets and Plans for projects to implement construction and related costs associated with streetscape improvements on Temperance Street from Yonge Street to Bay Street and improvements to Cloud Gardens Park, fully funded by Section 37 and 45 (Planning Act Reserve Fund) community benefits that have been received and are eligible for these purposes. Authority is also required to enter into the necessary Agreements with the owner (BAC Surface Inc.) and to transfer funds to complete the work on behalf of the City.​

Turns out some of this actually went to one of the first genuinely proper road narrowing at a pedestrian crossing I can think of in the city.

IMG_6676.jpeg
IMG_6673.jpeg
IMG_6672.jpeg
IMG_6675.jpeg
71199493717__2AA5555F-1BFD-47B9-9EDD-683F90AE9810.fullsizerender.jpeg
71199490717__49D61A6C-F31C-4634-B28F-B8AD8CE96228.jpeg
71199494528__A9B765F0-9431-499A-8CAA-F5A40CE6E23E.fullsizerender.jpeg
71199492084__8DC0023D-C1B6-475E-83F4-5EF5D66A1EB0.jpeg

Whaattt - I never thought they were going ahead with this - this is awesome :)

I very much like the road treatment (interlocking that gives a cobblestone vibe)

But I still can't stand the lighting which is just out right ugly in any era and does not match the road treatment at all.

The sidewalk treatment also doesn't fit the vibe of the road treatment..........sigh.

Can we think in complete thoughts, road, sidewalk, lights, seating that all play well together in a cohesive design?

It's still quite nice, but it could be so much better.

I hope MARBL is planning a patio, that would add some much needed vitality.

Last edited:

Back