Roller Boat Park?
KnappRollerBoatPubDomain.jpg

Other than that, I voted for Market Wharf Park in the voting thread. Somehow it's stuck in my head, and I also really like the word wharf. Part of my imagination envisions farmer types and vendors setting up stands, selling local food and craft creations. Some unique food stands would be great too; I'm imagining the vibe of the events thrown over at the Harbourfront Centre tents like the hot and spicy food fest. Market Wharf ties into this quite nicely as a name, which is my justification for its vote.

Market Wharf is the name of the new condo south of the St. Lawrence Market as there used to be a wharf leading up to the market back in the day.

You voted for Merchant's Wharf Park. You're not the only one to mix up the names... see a couple of pages back. :)

Sherbourne Commons evokes a campus setting. This park and area is supposed to be a beautiful jewel of a park for all Torontonians to enjoy and take pride in, not just a lawn for students.

Also, the idea of appealing to the lowest common denominator by not using a historical/native cultural name is not something I would support. Give the name some meaning and allow some interest in local history to develop in at least a few people.

Thanks. I suggested Kanadario Park but I wasn't thinking about a shitty hi-tech company. I was thinking about the people who used to live in the area and took care of the environment by living in harmony with nature. One of the functions of this park is to clean the water and return it to the lake in a rather stylish fashion in my opinion. I can't wait to see that sparkling cascading from those tall fixtures (for lack of a better word). I just thought that a word that acknowledged the people who lived here by using a word from their language would be a fitting tribute. Also, if a small plaque were placed in the park explaining the name....then perhaps we could also educate a few people at the same time. However, no name is going to please everyone. I just hope they pick something that has some meaning. The word "Kanadario" also seems to be a combination of 'Canada' and 'Ontario' and may indeed have been where Ontario got its name. An odd or unfamiliar sounding name can also become quite memorable.

That all sounds very thoughtful. I was just being an ass.

Some of the new name suggestions remind me of the defeated competitors to Kitchener for renaming Berlin back in 1916: Adanac, Keowana, Hydro City, Brock, etc.

Also, the idea of appealing to the lowest common denominator by not using a historical/native cultural name is not something I would support. Give the name some meaning and allow some interest in local history to develop in at least a few people.

Don't agree because this has already been done so many times to no avail. I say if you're going to slap a name on a sign and label a park then go all out and make that park directly relate to it's name. A cultural name without the culture doesn't fly. If the park is being made for the use of many people then why not develop interest in the local history to the audience as a whole?

So I do agree that it would be great to simply do as you say, but that's only going halfway and then you could give it any name and it would generally be irrelevant what that name is.

Waterfront Toronto Directors and staff does not reflect the cultural diversity of this city. Where are the projects that reflect the multicultural make up of this city?. Should'nt the black community and other visible minorty grouns who will be the majority in this city in the next few years have say on what will be developed on the Great White Waterfront? I guess we dont matter, we are not REAL Canadians or Torontonians any way eh?

Waterfront Toronto Directors and staff does not reflect the cultural diversity of this city. Where are the projects that reflect the multicultural make up of this city?. Should'nt the black community and other visible minorty grouns who will be the majority in this city in the next few years have say on what will be developed on the Great White Waterfront? I guess we dont matter, we are not REAL Canadians or Torontonians any way eh?

Great White Waterfront Park ! That's a great name.

Torontoist was much involved in this 'competition" so blame for the very boring selection of names should not only be directed to WT. Of course we do not know the full listing, apparently500 suggestions, nor whether any members of the cultural diversity of the City actually sent in suggestions but the 'finalists' are really rather unexciting. I think I will continue to call it Sherbourne Park!

I cannot think of anything nice or proper to say about this competition and I will most probably end up calling it Sherbourne Park myself like DSC.

Don't agree because this has already been done so many times to no avail. I say if you're going to slap a name on a sign and label a park then go all out and make that park directly relate to it's name. A cultural name without the culture doesn't fly. If the park is being made for the use of many people then why not develop interest in the local history to the audience as a whole?

So I do agree that it would be great to simply do as you say, but that's only going halfway and then you could give it any name and it would generally be irrelevant what that name is.

How many times has this been tried? Our major street names are typically dull names dating back to colonial times, while our subway stations and parks are often named after those dull names. If a public space is attractive and enjoyable, then the name has positive associations. There doesn't need to be a big connection between the name and the design of the park. The name is an opportunity to keep an important person's name or an aspect of local history in the public consciousness.

How many times has this been tried? Our major street names are typically dull names dating back to colonial times, while our subway stations and parks are often named after those dull names. If a public space is attractive and enjoyable, then the name has positive associations. There doesn't need to be a big connection between the name and the design of the park. The name is an opportunity to keep an important person's name or an aspect of local history in the public consciousness.

Keep in mind that I have nothing against naming a park after an important person or a cultural reference. But don't just slap someone's name on the sign and call it a day. I would love for this park to have one of the Iroquanian names if they were to have installations in the park that pay tribute to the people and their history. Otherwise it's just a name and isn't truly in the public consciousness. Sub-conscious perhaps.

The three finalists are up:

Sherbourne Commons
Tkaronto Park
Merchant’s Wharf Park

(Odd that, as of this posting, these are only listed at the above URL, and not on Torontoist's home page or on the Waterfront Toronto site.)

Back