Public spaces should have opportunities for skateboarders. They're just another group of people enjoying public spaces in a novel way. I love to see skateboarders in the Financial District after business hours bringing more life to public spaces that become empty when most of the business people leave.

^I agree... Seeing them is OK... But hearing them is another thing! Can't someone invent a quiet skateboard? Do they have to make so much noise? Rollerblades are quiet.

I'll tell you where a good place to skateboard is .... jail ...

There should be way tougher penalties for this sort of stuff ... large fines / jail time (community service) for repeat offenders.
The fact of the mater is it doesn't matter how many skate parks you are, there are always going to be people who do this sort of things / everywhere ...

I'll tell you where a good place to skateboard is .... jail ...

There should be way tougher penalties for this sort of stuff ... large fines / jail time (community service) for repeat offenders.
The fact of the mater is it doesn't matter how many skate parks you are, there are always going to be people who do this sort of things / everywhere ...

Really? Jail time for skateboarding? Now that is a waste of jail space and taxpayer dollars in my opinion..
Police have better things to do than punish skateboarders for skateboarding.

The problem isn't the skateboarding per se, it's the destruction of the public structures. If they didn't insist on grinding on benches, planters and the like, there wouldn't be an issue.

Skateboarding is fine, but vandalism, even inadvertent, isn't.

I believe I still have this poster somewhere...

skateboarding-is-not-a-crime.jpg

The new lights are okay, but they seem like they'll age fairly quickly...

Wood just doesn't come off as very long lasting, but the poles could very well last for at least three decades. The lighting units look like they can be transferred quite easily to a new pole. Vandalism may become an issue, though.

Don River Park, the new 18 acre park Waterfront Toronto is opening in the West Don Lands, will include a skateboard park. We broke ground earlier this spring and the park is expected to open in 2012.

Back