Yeah, company cafeterias suck though. It'll just be a place for lower-level employees to eat. I'm certain many will get in their cars and drive around, probably to King West or Leslieville area. Overall, this area is still "suburban wasteland" material.

One thing I've noticed, over the years, is the decline of the lunch hour - most of the people in my office eat at their desks and go home an hour earlier. The rest have lunch and the occasional coffee in the cafeteria, or go across the street to the sushi takeout, or to a sports bar, or to the smallish supermarkets nearbye where you can buy sandwiches and salads. The number of people hailing cabs and having company lunches in restaurants half way across town on expense accounts is actually rather few. Assuming they'll have a cafeteria, the Corus employees will have enough similar choices near them to be able to do the same.

Using the LCBO as an example...

Yeah, company cafeterias suck though. It'll just be a place for lower-level employees to eat. I'm certain many will get in their cars and drive around, probably to King West or Leslieville area. Overall, this area is still "suburban wasteland" material.

... it won't be that bad. A friend of mine who works there says he heads to Loblaw's QQ for takeout or Quizno's for a sub and, in the summertime at least, eats down on the boardwalk. Given that SB to SP will have its own boardwalk, there will be lots o' people out in the sunshine.

Doesn't SP has a café penciled into the central pavilion?

True. I hate materialism.

But realistically, it means more Corus office workers driving their cars out of the area for lunch breaks etc. Compared to the LV area, this area is really going to be TTC unfriendly.

Actually, Corus will have two restaurants on the ground floor. Employees at Corus have been part of the process on deciding what kinds of food they want to see in the building.

Now, if everyone cut their sugar consumption, not only would cancer rates go down...

Wait, what? It's not quite that simple. Well, if you like puns it is simple; simple sugars are the ones that contribute to poor health. Natural/organic/minimally processed/pure sugars are necessary and great, I don't think Redpath should have to go anywhere.

Last edited:
Their regular white variety, somewhat, which isn't even as refined as I'm talking about. They also offer brown sugars, organic sugars, and crystallized sugar cane juice extract. These aren't the sugars that directly contribute to negative health effects, except when consumed in excessive quantities perhaps. Most things can become toxic in cases of overconsumption, though.

And no, I'm not a sugar industry spokesperson, though I do work in food processing/science. There are a lot of misconceptions about the foods we eat, and a lot of misguided consumers as well; especially when it comes to "healthy" alternatives as well as the perceived danger of necessary nutrients such as carbs, fats, and even sodium. They're not always the bad guys they're made out to be, it's the laboratory alternatives that are often worse.

Last edited:
Getting back to food choices for that neighbourhood - and workplaces in general - employers have been providing access to fridges and microwaves and kitchens and lunch rooms for decades for employees who bring their own lunches, and I would imagine the Corus building will be no different.

I doubt that Corus employees will have time to make their own lunches. They'll be too busy producing content for the W Network and all their other ridiculous speciality stations.

my pessimistic prediction: sugar beach will become the world's largest fire ant colony

my pessimistic prediction: sugar beach will become the world's largest fire ant colony

And my optimistic prediction: sugar beach will become the world's largest Fire Island colony. "Check out *his* honey pot!"

I have a more practical concern: how are pedestrians supposed to get here? There actually isn't a sidewalk on the south side of the street. I'm assuming there are plans to fix this, but then again, do you really want to walk past a giant sugar factory on your lakeside stroll?

I have a more practical concern: how are pedestrians supposed to get here? There actually isn't a sidewalk on the south side of the street. I'm assuming there are plans to fix this, but then again, do you really want to walk past a giant sugar factory on your lakeside stroll?

The waterfront redevelopment plans include an extensive rebuilding of Queen's Quay. To quote the site: "When complete, Queens Quay Boulevard will be a waterfront destination and not the ugly uninviting traffic corridor it is today." More info: http://waterfronttoronto.ca/explore_projects2/central_waterfront/queens_quay_blvd

^^^Yah, but they are starting construction only on a section of that next year, and it won't be the east section. So, no sidewalk until then?

As can be seen from this image from Waterfront Toronto's East Bayfront web cam they are constructing an asphalt pedestrian/bike path. I'm guessing this will be replaced once the Queen's Quay street scaping project reaches this far east.

You can also see the park pavilion steel structure being erected.

More construction photos can be seen in the May 5th construction update.
http://www.towaterfront.ca/uploads/documents/construction_update_1.pdf

EastBayFrontWebCam.jpg

Back