I agree, we need a building high enough here to block out the Gardiner but not so tall as to block out the Skydome. It would be a good location for a great cultural building, like a museum of modern art or some other major attraction, surrounded by a great, animated public space. We need a few locations on the waterfront that inspire and offer something out of the ordinary. Of course, more stores and restaurants would be nice too, or even a public market.

We are still waiting for our first architectural gem on the waterfront. How can you have a great waterfront without some great architecture?

Last edited:
I agree, we need a building high enough here to block out the Gardiner but not so tall as to block out the Skydome. It would be a good location for a great cultural building, like a museum of modern art or some other major attraction, surrounded by a great, animated public space. We need a few locations on the waterfront that inspire and offer something out of the ordinary. Of course, more stores and restaurants would be nice too, or even a public market.

We are still waiting for our first architectural gem on the waterfront. How can you have a great waterfront without some great architecture?

Yeah, agreed. But read a few posts above--height restrictions here to keep sight lines of Skydome (yes). Unfortunate, but a reality. That being said, I'll take a park over what's there right now any day. Bloody eye sore.

And yes, agreed with other posters above. I love the fact that the waterfront is being redeveloped, but I'm worried that the buildings on the north side just can't keep up with the quality and it's always going to seem lopsided.

I think someone posted previously that it is city land that will eventually become a park. Waiting on money.

I hope this happens. The biggest mistake would be allowing another condo here. Connecting the CN Tower/Roundhouse Park to the lake would be visionary. Now if they would take down the QEW and develop a truly grand Park/thoroughfare through here to the water... awesome! Wow factor!!

I came to realize that's the reasons many people including myself see the waterfront quite negatively - despite all the events and stuff, the architecture and public space is horrendous and embarrassing. The Harbourfront Centre for example, is a pile of cr*p - a community centre in Kentucky will be more pretty than that. We can all boast about the attendance and popularity, but the truth remains that we have very low standard when it comes to aesthetics, and as a major metropolis I think that's crucial, not just for vanity but for the enjoyment of the residents.

The Harbourfront Centre for example, is a pile of cr*p - a community centre in Kentucky will be more pretty than that.

The mandate at Harbourfront Centre was the adaptive reuse of existing industrial buildings. I think we are dealing with a case of unsophisticated taste rather than low standards here. Are you from Kentucky by chance? ("more pretty")

The mandate at Harbourfront Centre was the adaptive reuse of existing industrial buildings. I think we are dealing with a case of unsophisticated taste rather than low standards here. Are you from Kentucky by chance? ("more pretty")

Your obsessive argument about everything is getting very tiring.
Unsophisticated taste, very true; low standard, also accurate. Ugly, certainly. It is reasonable for one to expect more from the major waterfront destination in Toronto. yes, it is mandate is this and that, guess it is a solid justification for being completely forgettable, not if outright hideous.

Last edited:
I came to realize that's the reasons many people including myself see the waterfront quite negatively - despite all the events and stuff, the architecture and public space is horrendous and embarrassing. The Harbourfront Centre for example, is a pile of cr*p - a community centre in Kentucky will be more pretty than that. We can all boast about the attendance and popularity, but the truth remains that we have very low standard when it comes to aesthetics, and as a major metropolis I think that's crucial, not just for vanity but for the enjoyment of the residents.

Oh look it's this post again. I recommend heading down to the next community development proposal meeting and suggesting a Kentucky fried flavour if you're so concerned.

Your obsessive argument about everything is getting very tiring.
Unsophisticated taste, very true; low standard, also accurate. Ugly, certainly. It is reasonable for one to expect more from the major waterfront destination in Toronto. yes, it is mandate is this and that, guess it is a solid justification for being completely forgettable, not if outright hideous.
Obsessive arguments! So now you know how we all feel about some (or many) of YOUR posts. Harbourfront Centre was NOT built to serve its current purpose - it's a repurposed warehouse and they made every effort NOT to change its external appearance too much so that we might remember (or might learn?) about the history of the area.

f1244_it1439.jpg

Attachments

• f1244_it1439.jpg
    f1244_it1439.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 603
Obsessive arguments! So now you know how we all feel about some (or many) of YOUR posts. Harbourfront Centre was NOT built to serve its current purpose - it's a repurposed warehouse and they made every effort NOT to change its external appearance too much so that we might remember (or might learn?) about the history of the

In other words, it is made outstandingly ugly on purpose?
That piece of "history" doesn't need to be remembered. The city and other cities are full of old warehouses for the industrial period. And if I am not mistaken, such history is very well remembered by Redpath plant and other factories on the waterfront already. Do we really need to remember so much not so interesting history? This land used to be industrial- wow so fascinating!

Man, you so don't get it, ksun. It would be atrocious if it weren't so comical. Thankfully there's lots on this board who don't subscribe to your extremist views - ergo, carry on!

IMG_3018.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3024.JPG

From my May 29th Development Tour of Toronto

Attachments

• IMG_3018.JPG
    IMG_3018.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,373
  • IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,355
  • IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3020.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,363
  • IMG_3024.JPG
    IMG_3024.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,357

That's really true. It's like anything goes here in Toronto. Anything is acceptable.

Back