13 May 2012:

122hp.jpg

Nice photos... The choice of cladding, ample mullions and general shape and lines of this building remind me of a truncated version of Aura (which I am quite hopeful for)... Question: There seems to be no shortage of admirers of this project, and critics of the later... Any reasons why?

Personally I like it very much. Architecture, especially contemporary, is a matter of personal taste. Not everyone likes it, which is fine by me. I have noticed that there are some real critical people on this website that dont express much detail in the opinions at all. They just give a word or two rejection without any more insightful views. Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion. Whatever, I like it, and there are a lot of other people that do as well. The location is great, and it appeals to a certain clientelle that Freed knows will like it too, and he's right.

I'm really liking this one....love the greenery. You can hate Freed all you want, but you can't deny that he builds some nice looking buildings.

care of drum118
7186328253_e8affab15d_b.jpg

7371071496_62ec71256c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I like it very much. Architecture, especially contemporary, is a matter of personal taste. Not everyone likes it, which is fine by me. I have noticed that there are some real critical people on this website that dont express much detail in the opinions at all. They just give a word or two rejection without any more insightful views. Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion. Whatever, I like it, and there are a lot of other people that do as well. The location is great, and it appeals to a certain clientelle that Freed knows will like it too, and he's right.

I agree with you, its gorgeous and a great addition to that area...many people that say that they dont like it just because they dont like Peter Freed the man, figure it.
Thanks for the pics TKE

I can't say how much I hate these buildings, especially the taller one.
the window wall is one of the worst i've seen and the mix of brick and painted concrete is horrible (not to mention the concrete thats not painted). Everything about the design looks so last minute.
I live right across the street in 700 King st west in a unit facing east and I wouldn't mind losing my view to decent building but instead i have a view of this dark thing.

I really don't like how this turned out either. I don't like the dark cladding (black brick, dark windows, and dark grey spandrel) against the bright concrete. That, together with the large height difference between the two buildings culminates in an awkward eyesore. The cladding just clashes all over, but hopefully oneeleven Bathurst going up next door will reduce the severity. I really hope Fashion House turns out better than this.

For the record, I'm a big fan of Freed and most of his developments.

I really don't like how this turned out either. I don't like the dark cladding (black brick, dark windows, and dark grey spandrel) against the bright concrete. That, together with the large height difference between the two buildings culminates in an awkward eyesore. The cladding just clashes all over, but hopefully oneeleven Bathurst going up next door will reduce the severity. I really hope Fashion House turns out better than this.

For the record, I'm a big fan of Freed and most of his developments.

You know, dark brick here actually looks good IMO...since there's so much red brick and the area. It's a nice contrast against the red brick building at King and Bathurst. I think dark spandrel/framing looks better with dark brick. How does the cladding clash when it is dark grey? You mean it clashes with the white painted cement?

I will admit the buildings are on the clumsy side, but I'm pretty sure that has to do with height restrictions.

I actually like the contrast of the white paitned cement and the hedge is brilliant. I can understand how some dislike it, but I think it's a winner...oneleven will look great as well as thompson.

Being a resident of the King Building who purchased back in 2007, I'd have to use the word "disappointed" considering the rendition originally presented: a whiter/brighter building with green accents. If I had to purchase in it's current state I probably would shop around first. Freed's 77 Portland project is a good example of my expectations, but King & Bathurst buildings lack the warmth and glow. I guess it's best to wait for the finished project, but I would say in it's current state it's an odd shadow and doesn't fit well in a red brick neighbourhood.

I will admit the buildings are on the clumsy side, but I'm pretty sure that has to do with height restrictions.

I'm curious why you would say that? There are other buildings in the area that do quite well within the height regime for this part of King-Spadina.

Back