News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Toronto is already big enough?

Huh?

I would love if the city were about 5 million (that's the old Metro Toronto: Toronto, Scarborough, North York, East York, York and Etobicoke).

I thought Chicago was bigger than Toronto? Is the 2 million+ number posted above for central Chicago or Metro Chicago?

As for the comment about not letting anymore people in because we can't handle it — yes we can. Ford is a moron with no concept on how to build, develop or run a city.

Do most of you guys simply want a bigger city because that would mean our skyline would grow?

Can we really allow more people at this time? Just curious, but do you drive? Like I said, new arrivals to Toronto are placed out in the burbs, so I guess it doesn't really effect your schedule. If you want more immigrants now then you can build more social housing downtown, aside from Regent Park.

Last edited:
Do most of you guys simply want a bigger city because that would mean our skyline would grow?

Can we really allow more people at this time? Just curious, but do you drive? Like I said, new arrivals to Toronto are placed out in the burbs, so I guess it doesn't really effect your schedule. If you want more immigrants now then you can build more social housing downtown, aside from Regent Park.

To asnwer your questions:

No.

Yes, absolutely we can. Rarely. New arrivals aren't placed anywhere. There is a shit-load of social housing all over the old city....not sure what that has to do with growth or immigration though.

Last edited:

Bigger city equates to more original ideas to inspire creative energy and feed the cultural fabric. A bigger population with more diverse and unique backgrounds provokes healthy competition that forces everyone to strive for greater achievement in all aspects of city life- business, arts, architecture, education, medicine, charity, etc. More to appreciate, more to learn, more to enjoy.

I own and drive multiple vehicles, ride public transit when convenient and bicycle when convenient, though not in frigid, icy weather.

Your comments strike me as tragically xenophobic.

Bigger city equates to more original ideas to inspire creative energy and feed the cultural fabric. A bigger population with more diverse and unique backgrounds provokes healthy competition that forces everyone to strive for greater achievement in all aspects of city life- business, arts, architecture, education, medicine, charity, etc. More to appreciate, more to learn, more to enjoy.

I own and drive multiple vehicles, ride public transit when convenient and bicycle when convenient, though not in frigid, icy weather.

Your comments strike me as tragically xenophobic.

Fair enough, though I don't agree with the arts/architecture sentiment, or it simply hasn't benefited Toronto at least. W'e're very conservative and show little vision in that regard. I agree many things can be learned from other cultures and perspectives can change from having various opinions shared but that can also create tension. I'm really not xenophobic at all. I enjoy talking to all kinds of people. It's not a problem with immigration that I have, but the lack or preparation the city does to accomodate it's new comers. If the city wants to grow in numbers then it also needs to grow its transportation system and roadways. More people equates to more over crowded buses, subway trains and roads. We already have one of the slowest commutes in the world and having more people in the city is going to augment that problem, unless we start hang gliding to work. Do you not agree with that part? I don't know how that could be denied? But like I said earlier, I think Canadians need to have more babies, and yes, that would also mean we would need the same infrastructure upgrades to support that. I sometimes think we just want to be as diverse as possible for the sake of standing out and so we can be a benchmark of tolerance for the world, which is maybe a sign of our general insecurity, passiveness. Maybe people think it's good karma and they'll be rewarded for giving the less fortunate a better living in Canada.

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder if John Revolta is someone who is familiar to this forum. In any case - he was banned by SSC and I am watching - closely.

AoD

just a question: if the immigrant is from Ireland or UK is he allowed ?

No. It has nothing to do with race. I was very shy growing up so most of my friends have always been immigrants or people who's parents came over from Asia. I've always related to them more than fellow white Canadians because I was an outcast in my school days and it was easier to talk to them. I've also dated Asian girls, and like exotic girls in general.

Last edited:
Immigration is hugely beneficial. Between subreplacement fertility, and Ontario's net loss of population to other provinces, Toronto would quickly get hollowed out were it not for significant immigration.

Do we take on too many? Maybe. Maybe not. The total numbers are appropriate for Canada as a whole, however they do tend to settle in the GTA. There is not much you can do about that, though they're increasingly spreading out across Canada rather than just Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal thanks to various incentive programs and more favourable economic conditions in places like Saskatchewan than in the bigger provinces.

Unless the regional economy picks up and overcomes the loss of manufacturing, and somebody does something about the traffic, I suspect the GTA's growth will drop off naturally on its own.

Certain people within all cities, yes. Some would prefer numbers to remain close to what they already are. I'm not pleased about all the condo development going on in my neighbourhood as it's already fairly busy, but still pretty peaceful and quiet in spots. That's all about to change. I forget the exact number, but I think it's something like 6000 people that will be moving into my neighbourhood within the next few years. It's going to get a lot noisier and there's going to be a lot more litter, and I can't even imagine how much worse the traffic will be.

Certain people within all cities, yes. Some would prefer numbers to remain close to what they already are. I'm not pleased about all the condo development going on in my neighbourhood as it's already fairly busy, but still pretty peaceful and quiet in spots. That's all about to change. I forget the exact number, but I think it's something like 6000 people that will be moving into my neighbourhood within the next few years. It's going to get a lot noisier and there's going to be a lot more litter, and I can't even imagine how much worse the traffic will be.

May I suggest Hamilton?

Back