I'm fairly certain that the Delta Chelsey is one of the largest hotels in the British Commonwealth, and that the proposed tower at Bremner would not be a suitable replacement building in terms of its proposed number of units. Besides, we can only assume that demand for hotels will increase in the medium to long-term, as opposed to decreasing or remaining static.

99 percent of hotel guests are not skyscraper snobs like most of us and they care less about the 70's slab apartment-like look of the Delta's exterior than about their experience and stay at the Hotel. And that Delta consistently ranks in the tops for customer satisfaction, and is almost always fully booked. So unless those factors change dramatically... it ain't goin' nowhere.

However, I could see the North section getting a re-clad in the near future, along with a new wing opening on the empty lot at Bay. Perhaps they will build a new point tower on that lot and when it's open for business, they can shut down the Gerrard tower for a retro-fit. Something really tall with condos on the uppermost floors seems about right for that lot.

99 percent of hotel guests are not skyscraper snobs like most of us and they care less about the 70's slab apartment-like look of the Delta's exterior than about their experience and stay at the Hotel. And that Delta consistently ranks in the tops for customer satisfaction, and is almost always fully booked. So unless those factors change dramatically... it ain't goin' nowhere.

The Delta can overcome its exterior architecture by making up for it in other ways. It doesn't mean that no one cares. All things because equal in a competitive market, architecture can grab the attention of potential guests and make a positive first impression about quality. It's definitely not the only meaningful factor, but it's not meaningless either.

Last edited:
I hate to tell you guys, but give it 5-10 years and Delta hotel block will be history..that whole south part of Gerrard from Yonge to Bay is a dead zone and needs help.

And what do you propose will replace it? I do need a good laugh but, please do consider the magnitude of redeveloping the existing Delta. It's 27 storeys with a high percentage lot coverage and 1600 rooms.

Not to mention that you don't redevelop an entire block because "it's a dead zone and needs help". You don't seem to understand all the nuances of real estate development in the capitalist world. And, what's more is that there are plenty of ways to make changes to the block without it "becoming history".

That said, there are also a million good reasons to take down a dated 27-storey building with 1600 rooms. Say, for instance, if it meant being able to replace it with 35 storeys of hotel rooms, 25 storeys of condos, and some convention/event space below, all with new PATH connections to the Atrium and Aura. Oh, and an upgraded indoor waterslide. Really, with Sick Kids and the rest of the Discovery District right across the street it seems like an obvious space to have a massive conference facility.

However, I could see the North section getting a re-clad in the near future, along with a new wing opening on the empty lot at Bay. Perhaps they will build a new point tower on that lot and when it's open for business, they can shut down the Gerrard tower for a retro-fit. Something really tall with condos on the uppermost floors seems about right for that lot.
That's not entirely true. People definitely judge the outside appearance of a hotel when they're picking a hotel to stay in.

You both make valid points, but I think the key question here is: what hotel has a better location for tourists at this price point?

This place is essentially a printer for money, and the demand will only go up, not down, the more the area gets built up and redeveloped.

That said, there are also a million good reasons to take down a dated 27-storey building with 1600 rooms. Say, for instance, if it meant being able to replace it with 35 storeys of hotel rooms, 25 storeys of condos, and some convention/event space below, all with new PATH connections to the Atrium and Aura. Oh, and an upgraded indoor waterslide. Really, with Sick Kids and the rest of the Discovery District right across the street it seems like an obvious space to have a massive conference facility.

It's not just the redevelopment costs but, the lost revenue of having a closed site for up to five years. I just don't see 35/25 storeys cutting it over renovations that allow the property to remain in use. Condos are an easy sell and the payout is immediate but, that's it. It's a one time modest payout. It can be a good good fit for a stuggling property with major upgrades needed but, that's far from being the Delta. Such a situation is usually accomplished through conversion over complete re-development.

Anyhow, I don't see anything smaller that a 40 storey office tower with 700,000 square feet and a 70 storey mixed condo /hotel tower with 1200 combined units as a possible replacement for the Delta. Of course, the site is likely too small for such a proposal.

Anyhow, I don't see anything smaller that a 40 storey office tower with 700,000 square feet and a 70 storey mixed condo /hotel tower with 1200 combined units as a possible replacement for the Delta. Of course, the site is likely too small for such a proposal.

Hahaha:D maestro...i just knew that deep inside you have a bit of skyscraper love.
e5000533.gif

The parking lot on the west side is big enough for at least a 50 floor hotel/condo.

Maybe a good go between whilst they redevelop the rest of the site.

Redevelopment is pure speculation at this point. The building fronting Gerrard does, at least, need to be reclad. The hotel rooms could benefit from the extra space they would gain if the balconies were made part of the interior.

I hate to tell you guys, but give it 5-10 years and Delta hotel block will be history..that whole south part of Gerrard from Yonge to Bay is a dead zone and needs help.

Extremely doubtful. I will believe it when I see it.

Redevelopment is pure speculation at this point. The building fronting Gerrard does, at least, need to be reclad. The hotel rooms could benefit from the extra space they would gain if the balconies were made part of the interior.

Agreed. You can't even open the balcony doors more than a couple inches anyway (I tried a couple months ago when I had a north-facing room, I was trying to take some pictures of Aura. I had to squeeze my arm out the door and then hope that I got a decent picture when I was reaching out as far as I could).

And yes, I can definitely see a 40-50 storey tower going in on the parking lot at Bay and Gerrard.

Back