Although presumably you would know you're on the Yonge line, and I'd imagine more people would know where Yonge and Dundas (the intersection) is then Dundas Square. I think sticking to street names as much as possible is the best way of naming stations.

One important purpose of subway station naming is for people unfamiliar with the system to know where they are heading, don't you think so? For daily commuters, they are unimportant. You can call it station A B C or 1 2 3 and there is no problem. But you can't assume everyone taking the Yonge line knows that all the stations are on Yonge street, and for the Spadina line, most stations are not even on Spadina Ave. When you are at St Clair West, you are at St Clair and Bathust, not Spadina.

If Dundas Square station makes less sense, then why High Park station should called High Park, not Quebec station, and Museum not Queens Park? A station named after a very long street such as Dundas and Queen makes very little sense in helping people to locate themselves. You are defending them only because you are used to them and think they are 'fine". But for someone new, they are extremely confusing. Even something like Eglington West is wrong. What is a new line is constructed that crosses Eglington West? Call that Eglington West West? More than a couple of times visitors asked me which station to go to in order to get to the Eaton Center, because "Dundas Station" provides extremely little information.

I think sticking to street names as much as possible is the best way of naming stations.

That only works for cities with no more than three subway lines. In a big city, an important main street may have different lines crossing at multiple points, what are you gonna do?

If Dundas Square station makes less sense, then why High Park station should called High Park, not Quebec station, and Museum not Queens Park? A station named after a very long street such as Dundas and Queen makes very little sense in helping people to locate themselves.

The "High Park" in High Park Station refers to the Avenue and not the park. As for Museum, there already is a station called "Queens Park." Station names should be kept as simple, concise, and geographically relevant as possible. I just don't see the point in re-naming the stations now (except for Downsview). Lost tourists are not a huge problem in this city, and certainly not high on the TTC priority list. If you don't already know that the Yonge line runs straight up and down Yonge Street, you'll probably have to ask for directions regardless of the stations' names (how would renaming Dundas to "Dundas Square" help anyone looking for Ryerson or the bus terminal or the Eaton Centre?).

The "High Park" in High Park Station refers to the Avenue and not the park. As for Museum, there already is a station called "Queens Park." Station names should be kept as simple, concise, and geographically relevant as possible. I just don't see the point in re-naming the stations now (except for Downsview). Lost tourists are not a huge problem in this city, and certainly not high on the TTC priority list. If you don't already know that the Yonge line runs straight up and down Yonge Street, you'll probably have to ask for directions regardless of the stations' names (how would renaming Dundas to "Dundas Square" help anyone looking for Ryerson or the bus terminal or the Eaton Centre?).

I not proposing name changing. I am just saying the current names don't make sense.
High park station is not really on High Park St. And High Park St is more than likely named after high park.

What would you propose to call a hypothetical station on the DRL at Lawrence and Don Mills? We already have Lawrence, Lawrence West and Lawrence East.

As well consider Dundas West station on the Bloor line. Dundas intersects Bloor twice, and both places have a subway station (the other one's called Kipling).

All good points. My main point though was that more people are probably familiar with major streets and where they intersect then of landmarks such as Dundas Square (which is relatively new) or the Eaton Centre (it's location, not the mall itself). I'm not against naming a station against a landmark, but in a case where most people know that the Yonge line goes along Yonge st, using cross-streets is the best overall way to name stations. This of course is not perfect, for those odd cases such as Dundas West as another poster mentionned.

I think in addition to street names, naming stations for the area is also a good idea. High Park is common name for the area, not just the park, so I think it's a good name, whether that was the original intention or not. The DRL would of course be a different case, and so names such as Liberty Village, CityPlace, Roncessvalles, Sunnyside etc are all good options that lets commuters know where they're going.

Getting back on topic, I also think the Spadina Subway extension station names being chosen are the right choices.

One important purpose of subway station naming is for people unfamiliar with the system to know where they are heading, don't you think so?

I don't. People unfamiliar with the city do not get on the subway with the hope that they will randomly find the station they need. They will already know exactly what station to go to by looking at a map or asking someone before hand. It is non-sensical for anyone to board the subway without doing so. This city's station names make perfect sense and are steeped it's history. Your ignorance of it is not a reason to change it.

All good points. My main point though was that more people are probably familiar with major streets and where they intersect then of landmarks such as Dundas Square (which is relatively new) or the Eaton Centre (it's location, not the mall itself). I'm not against naming a station against a landmark, but in a case where most people know that the Yonge line goes along Yonge st, using cross-streets is the best overall way to name stations. This of course is not perfect, for those odd cases such as Dundas West as another poster mentionned.

But that's the beauty of "College Park" and "Dundas Square". They provide the best of both worlds: street name and landmark.

Getting back on topic, I also think the Spadina Subway extension station names being chosen are the right choices.

I do too. It's really great the TTC was able to stand up to the city of Vaughan and choose what was clearly the better name.

I do too. It's really great the TTC was able to stand up to the city of Vaughan and choose what was clearly the better name.

Bad news - they didn't.
A decision was deferred, again. More consultation!

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1250083--subway-naming-delayed-again

Subway naming delayed again

People trying to convince the TTC to change its mind on the name of Vaughan’s final subway station have lived to fight another day once again.
At its Wednesday afternoon meeting, the commission deferred its decision on what to call the Spadina subway extension’s new stations, particularly the one to be located at Jane Street and Hwy. 7.
York Region, the City of Vaughan and its mayor have fought for the station to be called Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, while TTC staff recommended going with the shorter Vaughan Centre.
Calling the station Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is integral to the city’s strategy of creating a “vibrant, avant garde” downtown near Jane Street and Hwy. 7, Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua said Tuesday.
His opinion appeared to be in the minority.
The TTC hosted an online survey earlier this year, attracting 3,600 respondents, and 80 per cent favoured Vaughan Centre. Only 9 per cent were on side with Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.
The survey targeted Toronto residents who wouldn’t know or appreciate the scope and ambition of Vaughan’s efforts, Councillor Sandra Racco countered.
While some might ask, “What’s in a name?” Ms Racco thinks it makes a big difference.
“I think it’s quite important. We took the time to name that area and brand that area,” she said. “Vaughan Centre doesn’t tell you anything.”
The city and region argued Vaughan Metropolitan Centre was the “brand” for Vaughan’s new downtown, voted on by its residents, and riders could confuse Vaughan Centre with the new civic centre, several kilometres away.
The TTC countered the name was unwieldy and the shorter name was similar to other system names, like Scarborough Centre and North York Centre.
“The TTC does not select names to promote or advertise nearby developments or corporate or commercial enterprises,” the commission’s report said.
“(Vaughan Centre) effectively and simply describes the general station location as a major regional hub.”
The former point is one that has irked local officials, since neither Vaughan Metropolitan Centre nor its prior name, Vaughan Corporate Centre, is a specific project, but the name of the larger district.
It’s frustrating because the city has been consistent and emphatic in its position, Ms Racco said.
The issue of the name first arose more than a year ago.
A decision was pushed off so the public could be consulted, leading to the survey.
Vaughan and York Region, via its Rapid Transit Corporation, made their preferences official in September 2010.
They kept up that message, right through to a letter sent to the TTC by Mr. Bevilacqua last month.
“Adopting the name Vaughan Metropolitan Centre ... will help identify to the rider a location filled with choice, a location of diversity, a destination of business and resident, a cultural hub,” very different from a commuter parking lot, he wrote.
Mr. Bevilacqua said TTC chairperson Karen Stintz understood the city’s position and Vaughan staff would be at the meeting to make their case. They would get a fair hearing, he said.
Instead of rendering a decision, the commission opted to postpone it for the time being to consult further both with Vaughan and the public.
Other changes are proposed further south along the subway line.
The current terminal station, Downsview, will be renamed Sheppard West. A new station to the west will be right at Downsview Park and named after the park.
Other names are more straightforward: Finch West, York University, Steeles West and Hwy. 407.
In each case, the names were those preferred in the survey.
In the meantime, subway construction is proceeding full steam ahead and on schedule. Cranes can be seen where the stations are being built, such as at Millway Avenue and Hwy. 7.
That provides at least a little comfort for people concerned about the details of the execution.
“It really hits you,” Ms Racco said. “It’s actually coming along.

Call it "Vaughan Gravitational Centre". It would be just as true, but even more attention grabbing.

Calling the station Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is integral to the city’s strategy of creating a “vibrant, avant garde†downtown near Jane Street and Hwy. 7, Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua said Tuesday.

Why? Metopolitan means "city-region", not "city centre".

In the meantime, subway construction is proceeding full steam ahead and on schedule. Cranes can be seen where the stations are being built, such as at Millway Avenue and Hwy. 7.

Would anyone care to go and get some pics of said construction? That's what is what this thread is all about, after all. :)

That is hilarious. I couldn't restrain myself so on the TTC website to name the subway stops I put in something like "Vaughan penis-envy dick-measuring huge girth" station. Couldn't help myself, really.

"Vibrant, avant garde"? Wow. It's going to take a lot more than a name to create that. Like maybe another 200 years?

Would anyone care to go and get some pics of said construction? That's what is what this thread is all about, after all. :)

I can. I live 10 minutes from the site at Weston and 7.
But I have a crappy point and click, so don't expect art! :)

@Alvin - Vaughan is shelling out money. More specifically, York Region is paying the municipal 1/3 of costs for everything north of Steeles so taxpayers in Vaughan (and Markham, and Georgina, and Newmarket etc.) are paying.

And @Joe - I'm sure P&S shots will be fine. We're not looking for Edward Burtynsky stuff here.

Back