Could the fatality at the York U site have been the cause of some of the schedule loss, or was that a different zone? I think they were shut down for quite a while there.

As for "24/7 construction", the restrictions on Metrolinx at West Toronto Junction should give pause to all the "why can't you just" people who complain about how slow construction goes. In some countries, yes, people will be told "it's only for a short period so too bad". Canada doesn't work that way. Most of the time, that's a good thing.

Optimistically it will open sometime in March 2016. Pessimistically, November 2016.

It would have been great if they could phase in the construction and open up the portion up to Steeles in time for the Pan Am games.

I'm not sure a temporary opening of a couple of stations for the Pan Am games is precluded. Trains should be operational on the track by then anyways.

With some pretty high profile sports calling York U home at the Pan Ams....you would think that is something everyone would be looking at.

With some pretty high profile sports calling York U home at the Pan Ams....you would think that is something everyone would be looking at.
You would ... though I don't wonder if the signals contract or something, would preclude it, as they'd likely want to do that in one shot, to save money.

You would ... though I don't wonder if the signals contract or something, would preclude it, as they'd likely want to do that in one shot, to save money.
And the delivery of the extra TRs, and the hiring and training of drivers, the contracting of additional spoil removal capacity and and and - plus where's the money for this acceleration coming from? Ontario is so broke they keep pushing 5-in-1 projects to the right, there will be no more money from Harper. It's not a question of money (although it will be more) as much as cashFLOW.

I probably should have replied to #2710 rather than #2712 there. I thought the TR delivery window stretched a bit further than that - my mistake. As for running to a single station at York - I think that would have to be Finch West since that's where the mid-alignment turnback is - but given Metrolinx' resistance to a partial opening of Eglinton TTC might similarly resist commissioning the signalling in part.

I can see many things that would make early temporary operation of a single station at York U impossible. The schedule called for trains to be operable by summer 2015 anyways. If they meet the schedule, they'd be in the ironic situation of running test trains underneath Pan-Am venues during the games. How many months were Sheppard trains running before the November 2002 opening? I seem to recall being in the cinema at Bayview sometime that spring, and you could hear them running underneath.

How many months were Sheppard trains running before the November 2002 opening? I seem to recall being in the cinema at Bayview sometime that spring, and you could hear them running underneath.

I want to say that they need 8 to 9 months of pre-opening testing to ensure that all of the bugs are out of all of the systems, and even then they may still have to rush the opening. As an example, the first subway passed over the Bloor Viaduct 8 months - late June, 1965 - prior to the opening of the Bloor-Danforth Subway on February 28th, 1966. The first train on the Sheppard Line was in late February 2002, and yet when they opened the line 9 months later many of the escalators, elevators, and even fire safety systems were not fully de-bugged and operating.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I want to say that they need 8 to 9 months of pre-opening testing to ensure that all of the bugs are out of all of the systems, and even then they may still have to rush the opening. As an example, the first subway passed over the Bloor Viaduct 8 months - late June, 1965 - prior to the opening of the Bloor-Danforth Subway on February 28th, 1966. The first train on the Sheppard Line was in late February 2002, and yet when they opened the line 9 months later many of the escalators, elevators, and even fire safety systems were not fully de-bugged and operating.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They may have been able to run the trains earlier than the official opening, but finishing touches to the stations (tiling, glass, signage, etc.) were probably going on at the same time.

It seems that the finishing touches to anything can take a long time to complete, be it a Subway, office building, or house.

I can see many things that would make early temporary operation of a single station at York U impossible. The schedule called for trains to be operable by summer 2015 anyways. If they meet the schedule, they'd be in the ironic situation of running test trains underneath Pan-Am venues during the games. How many months were Sheppard trains running before the November 2002 opening? I seem to recall being in the cinema at Bayview sometime that spring, and you could hear them running underneath.

I know this is an odd thing to say, but is it possible to run without testing. If traffic lights are out of commision, or if construction is blocking a lane, police or flaggers can be used to provided limited service. Can something similar not be applied here? Maybe I am just thinking of things wrong. Civil Engineers ussually do not have the benefit of testing.

I know this is an odd thing to say, but is it possible to run without testing. If traffic lights are out of commision, or if construction is blocking a lane, police or flaggers can be used to provided limited service. Can something similar not be applied here? Maybe I am just thinking of things wrong. Civil Engineers ussually do not have the benefit of testing.

Civil engineers absolutely do have the benefit of testing. They test materials in batches as it arrives to the site, they test designs and modify them as such prior to construction, and they have to test the equipment after it has been installed and before it is opened to use.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Civil engineers absolutely do have the benefit of testing. They test materials in batches as it arrives to the site, they test designs and modify them as such prior to construction, and they have to test the equipment after it has been installed and before it is opened to use.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Oops, I meant post construction.

When a building is built, they do not bring out giant fans to test to see if it can survive 100 km/hr winds, nor is occupancy delayed until a hurricane (or tropical depression) comes to prove it can withstand the design forces. I don't see all the snow gathered up from hockey arenas to confirm that buildings can withstand snow loads. A bridge does not have test trucks drive over it before it is opened to the public.

Any other piece of infrastructure that had 9 months of testing would not be accepted by the pubilc. Since this is underground, the public would not know. If a highway sat empty for 9 months of testing I am sure it would be viewed as a boondogle.

Does median LRT (i.e. Sheppard) need similar testing?

Back