Just thinking aloud here but do you think that the Vaughan station could be the eventual final terminus of the University-Spadina-Vaughan segment of the line?

I don't think anything north of Vaughan station warrants an extension of the line regardless of how much Vaughan intensifies in the core. If there is a demand for it to be extended, wouldn't a much cheaper connecting LRT route from the north ran and operated by York region be much more appropriate instead?

I hope so, in our lifetimes.

Considering how much transit demand we need to provide service to, packed streetcars, buses and subways everywhere in the city, I hope we don't build subways into farmland :)

As I said above, I think this extension is at least mostly justified. However, I feel we need to satisfy existing transit demand within the city, like King Street, before trying to create new downtowns for small cities. Provide transit where there is existing unserved demand, and there is plenty of that in our city, before building subways into empty lands and hoping for a brand new city in my opinion.

King City Seneca Campus can get a station, but with how big they build stations these days, the campus would be a tenant within the station, even if that's the only reason to go there.

I believe that Kirby will be the end of suburbanization in the foreseeable future (no, not the video game character!).

I bet that by the time the subway reaches Kirby, the walls of that station would be pink (Kirby the pink video game character would be extremely likely to be in the public domain by then). The ghost of Paul Arthur would give Kirby station a pictograph of the video game character.

Last edited:
Just thinking aloud here but do you think that the Vaughan station could be the eventual final terminus of the University-Spadina-Vaughan segment of the line?

I don't think anything north of Vaughan station warrants an extension of the line regardless of how much Vaughan intensifies in the core. If there is a demand for it to be extended, wouldn't a much cheaper connecting LRT route from the north ran and operated by York region be much more appropriate instead?

Of course it won't be the final terminus. Our city is growing and eventually an extension will be warranted.

However I'm not expecting that there will be a pressing need for an extension anytime soon. Finch (the longest serving terminus) has gone without an extension for 40 years. 35 years after Kennedy Station opened, it is just now about to lose it's terminal station. And this is for an extension that is nice to have rather than "needed". And we've still yet to see any subways into Mississauga. If this pattern holds I'd say that we're at the very least 40 years and likely as long as 70 or 80 years from seeing any extension north of Vaughan Centre.

I wouldn't expect an extension for many decades. Too many other places to extend to and Canada's Wonderland is hardy a good reason for a station. Its closed more than its open.

I believe that Kirby will be the end of suburbanization in the foreseeable future (no, not the video game character!).

I bet that by the time the subway reaches Kirby, the walls of that station would be pink (Kirby the pink video game character would be extremely likely to be in the public domain by then). The ghost of Paul Arthur would give Kirby station a pictograph of the video game character.

Kirby the character would be pretty good at tunnelling, I bet.

Vaughan is far enough north for a subway system nominally intended to serve Toronto. Anything else should be filled in by transit provided by Vaughan, Markham, etc.

I wouldn't expect an extension for many decades. Too many other places to extend to and Canada's Wonderland is hardy a good reason for a station. Its closed more than its open.

But Vaughan Mills is a year-round place and there's a hospital going in just to the west and actually a surprising amount of density coming around there. I don't quite know it's worthy of a subway and I think Highway 7 is plenty adequate for now but if the question is, "Really, how far north should a subway go?" I think Major Mac is the furthest you can justify. There will be employment along the 400 and more housing further north too, but not with any kind of density, nor any major destinations.

But the area near Vaughan Mills seems to be turning into "VMC North" with two large proposed condo projects and a hotel or two already there. So it could be (relatively) sooner rather than later...

But the area near Vaughan Mills seems to be turning into "VMC North" with two large proposed condo projects and a hotel or two already there. So it could be (relatively) sooner rather than later...

I'm willing to bet that within 5 yrs of the subway extension opening that the proposals for an extension to Vaughan Mills Mall, and the new Vaughan hospital will pop up.

I feel like a connecting LRT route would handle the demand much better than a subway extension, and do better for Vaughan's densification.

An LRT can have more stops and have more development surrounding it.

If the line were extended that far, we'd have a "Jane Subway"...in York Region only!

How about we tunnel a U turn at VMC station and start tunnelling south on Jane until we hit Bloor. Cause that would make way more sense to me than going North of Highway 7 on Jane! :) Line 1 would be a big Z instead of a U and be called: Line 1, Yonge-University-Spadina-Vaughan-Jane

VMC will be the terminus for at least as long as Finch has been the Terminus for Yonge.. a very long time. The current Jane bus (which runs along the corridor the subway would take) currently only gets something like 2,000 daily trips. The next subway extension, if it ever occurs, that will go into York region will be another Yonge extension up to Major Mack or something.

Yeah I would probably choose any other possible extension over extending Spadina again:

Yonge line north to Steeles or Highway 7
Bloor line east to STC (the current plan), or further north on McCowan
Bloor west somewhere into Mississauga
Sheppard east to wherever or west to Downsview station
Eglinton west to Airport

Back