But the area near Vaughan Mills seems to be turning into "VMC North" with two large proposed condo projects and a hotel or two already there. So it could be (relatively) sooner rather than later...

There's a whole bigger discussion there about how it's cheaper and easier to develop land juuuuust outside the growth centre (thereby undermining the whole point of having it in the first place) especially since they can build now, but yeah, for people who don't go up there often, you'd be amazed how much is going on at Major Mac right now.

Yeah I would probably choose any other possible extension over extending Spadina again:

Yonge line north to Steeles or Highway 7
Bloor line east to STC (the current plan), or further north on McCowan
Bloor west somewhere into Mississauga
Sheppard east to wherever or west to Downsview station
Eglinton west to Airport

I'd rather extend that billion-dollar-hole-in-the-ground known as "Sheppard Boondoggle" east to STC than ever consider extending Spadina.

I feel like a connecting LRT route would handle the demand much better than a subway extension, and do better for Vaughan's densification.

An LRT can have more stops and have more development surrounding it.

It would. An LRT is also far more extendable. The subway isn't justified north of VMC. The LRT could be justified much farther north.

It would. An LRT is also far more extendable. The subway isn't justified north of VMC. The LRT could be justified much farther north.

There's already the Highway 7 BRT which as far as I know connects to VMC station. I heard they aren't even running many buses along it though (can someone confirm?).

LRT seems completely unnecessary and a big over-build to me on Jane north of Highway 7, buses should be fine. I mean, to be honest I don't know much about Vaughan, but I'll be really really surprised if a normal bus line isn't sufficient for Jane north of highway 7.

One could use the Barrie Line with extra stops that would also provide express service to downtown once you pass south of Downsview Park.

Kirby the character would be pretty good at tunnelling, I bet.

Vaughan is far enough north for a subway system nominally intended to serve Toronto. Anything else should be filled in by transit provided by Vaughan, Markham, etc.
Animal_Art.PNG

250px-KEY_DrillForm.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the Jane LRT was to terminate at Pioneer Village station but Vaughan wanted them to extend it to the Vaughan subway station. It would be better to extended to Jane and Major Mac where you have Wonderland and the new hospital and it could also make getting to Vaughan Mills much easier.

The Jane LRT could have extended from a Steeles W/Black Creek Pioneer village subway terminus North to Vaughan Mills Mall on opening day. Never understood why this option was never pursued. Wait I do understand why $$$

Of all the places where a subway could be extended based on where current subway lines end, an extension of the Spadina subway further into Vaughan would be - by far - the worst possible choice. There is nothing to indicate that this land will ever support the ridership needed for a subway for the forseeable future.

A localized Weston corridor and the Eglinton LRT may make the need for a Jane LRT not as worthwhile, particularly if some of it would have to be underground.

Of all the places where a subway could be extended based on where current subway lines end, an extension of the Spadina subway further into Vaughan would be - by far - the worst possible choice. There is nothing to indicate that this land will ever support the ridership needed for a subway for the forseeable future.

don't ya think that's a little dramatic saying "ever"? lol

Back