How on earth did civilization get by before routes had numbers?
By keeping slaves and raping their spouses?

What does the ancient past matter ... I'm hard-pressed to think of a city with over a million people that doesn't have route numbers/letters. Is there a good example, and can you explain why it works better in that city?

All routes have both a name and number. 2 - Bloor-Danforth; 22 - Coxwell; 502 - Downtowner. What range of numbers would you use then?

Maybe a lettering system? A, B, C, D, etc. An example for a tourist wanting to leave The Ex:

-“take the Harbourfront H Line to Union, then Line 1 northbound to Line 2 Eastboundâ€
-“But both Line 1s go northbound to Line 2â€
-“Go on the one that goes like this *points to left*, not like this *points to right*â€
-“Huh?â€
-“K, maybe just take the Bathurst B Line insteadâ€.

And with the 500-series, it might get more confusing when Line 5 (Crosstown) opens. Some might think that, say, 502 is a branch of 5.

How on earth did civilization get by before routes had numbers?

16184378993_12d138deec.jpg

Maybe a lettering system? A, B, C, D, etc. An example for a tourist wanting to leave The Ex:

-“take the Harbourfront H Line to Union, then Line 1 northbound to Line 2 Eastbound”
-“But both Line 1s go northbound to Line 2”
-“Go on the one that goes like this *points to left*, not like this *points to right*”
-“Huh?”
-“K, maybe just take the Bathurst B Line instead”.

And with the 500-series, it might get more confusing when Line 5 (Crosstown) opens. Some might think that, say, 502 is a branch of 5.
I don't think that will confuse anyone. Though GO was using A through G until quite recently for GO Trains.
GoTransitMap.jpg

I don't see any need to create confusion by unnecessarily reinventing the wheel.

Attachments

• GoTransitMap.jpg
    GoTransitMap.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,222
I quite like the lettering system for the streetcar routes actually. Succinct, classic, and maintains sufficient differentiation from bus routes.

Argh, that GO map reminds me of the bad old days of GO :p

Why? It looks not that different than the present

The map aesthetics are not the greatest and it's a little clunky, but that's not what I mean. The bad old days of GO are the days of even less service than the present; no train service to places like Kitchener or Barrie or (off-peak) Oshawa, and the system being so chronically underfunded by successive governments (Harris...) that the threat was pretty real that the system could close down entirely. Melodramatic maybe, but it was a worrisome time.

The map aesthetics are not the greatest and it's a little clunky, but that's not what I mean. The bad old days of GO are the days of even less service than the present; no train service to places like Kitchener or Barrie or (off-peak) Oshawa, and the system being so chronically underfunded by successive governments (Harris...) that the threat was pretty real that the system could close down entirely. Melodramatic maybe, but it was a worrisome time.
you get all that from that map? Sure Kitchener extension is not there...Barrie is .....and you can't tell which lines have pea or off peak service.

you get all that from that map? Sure Kitchener extension is not there...Barrie is .....and you can't tell which lines have pea or off peak service.

Well no I didn't get that all from the map...I remember it or have read of it for the most part. It's the aesthetic that looks a little dated, which I remember seeing from "back in the day", that reminds me of said bad old days.

Line 1 is the simple name that I like. There's nothing to explain. You're at Union? You're either headed towards Downsview or Finch, which is what the trains say on the front as they arrive.

i agree, although I don't see how special or more confusing union is. At any stop, there are two directions going towards Finch or Downsview. Union is Not a terminal station and its southern most location doesn't make it any different. There is only one line here, and applying two different names is what makes it confusing. So if I am at dundas station and goes to Queens park, does that mean I take the Yonge line and then the Spadina line as if there is a connection? Isn't is exactly the same as if I travel from Dundas to Shepard, or from Chester to Bathurst?

We don't call line 2 Bloor line and the Danforth line separately, do we? I fail to see why line 1 is any different and deserves all t his extra fuss.

Last edited:

Of course you get it from that map. It's the "style", not that one actual map. That style represented GO through that era of retrenchment, and endless service problems. Seeing that service map shrink, all while GO was plagued with constant breakdowns, terrible customer service (or zero customer service), dilapidated facilities, and municipal governments who wanted hated funding it, is linked in the mind of anyone who used the service through all that shit. GO was one of the hot button political issues across the whole GTA that helped finally torch Mike Harris. That map instantly reminds me of those dark days.

Last edited:
i agree, although I don't see how special or more confusing union is. At any stop, there are two directions going towards Finch or Downsview. Union is Not a terminal station and its southern most location doesn't make it any different. There is only one line here, and applying two different names is what makes it confusing. So if I am at dundas station and goes to Queens park, does that mean I take the Yonge line and then the Spadina line as if there is a connection? Isn't is exactly the same as if I travel from Dundas to Shepard, or from Chester to Bathurst?

We don't call line 2 Bloor line and the Danforth line separately, do we? I fail to see why line 1 is any different and deserves all t his extra fuss.

I guess you have never looked at a compas before.

That being said, it is still one line since it is continuous - but with a slightly more confusing direction guideance requirements.

I guess you have never looked at a compas before.

That being said, it is still one line since it is continuous - but with a slightly more confusing direction guideance requirements.

No, the passenger only needs to know which station to exit. I don't think the U shape matters at all. It is one simple line. Nothing confusing about it.

That map I'd describe as pre-Metrolinx, but definitely in the expansion era. Though it is a terrible map - difficult to follow, cramped, hard to read, weird, irregular angles.

The cuts came the Rae and early Harris governments (the loss of the Bradford-Barrie runs, the train to Guelph, the midday trains to Erindale, etc.), but the Whitby-Oshawa rail expansion opened in 1995.

Though even in the Harris years, there were some expansions. Note the 407 services to York University on that map above; the first York U bus route, between Oakville, Square One, Bramalea, York U, Langstaff and Unionville opened in September 2000. New branches to McMaster University and Hamilton GO Centre, and to Oshawa/UIOT, and to Streetsville and Meadowvale. The Highway 401 service to University to Guelph is depicted in that map.

Here's what the 1998 GO map looked like, entirely focused on Union Station:

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/maps/GoTransit/gotransit-1998-map.pdf

In 1999:

go99.gif

Attachments

• go99.gif
    go99.gif
    128.3 KB · Views: 3,057

Back