I actually love the trend of naming places and infrastructure after aboriginal names. We get so caught up in modern culture that native Canadian history gets erased. Preserving it place names (Niagara, Spadina, Seneca, Mohawk, etc) is great. Someone might ask themselves... where does that come from. And there you go, opens up a huge part of our history for people to learn about. I do lament the loss of the Spadina name for that reason. :(

wouldn't the appropriate name be Yonge-Universities? If we are referring to the combination of the 3 schools and the road that is 4 different Universities not one University. ;)

wouldn't the appropriate name be Yonge-Universities? If we are referring to the combination of the 3 schools and the road that is 4 different Universities not one University. ;)

We'd have to change the name from Universities to University and then back whenever they decide to strike. ;)

WRT the Evergreen Line, it proceeded as a Design Build partially Finance contract.

Here's the Partnerships BC analysis of the contract (click "Project Report"):

http://www.partnershipsbc.ca/projec...ruction/evergreen-line-rapid-transit-project/

A redacted copy of the DBF Contract and schedules is at that link under "Procurement Documents".

Here are the excerpts from that report which states that the private contractor accepted tunnelling risk
and will pay a financial penalty for each day that substantial completion is delayed past July 29, 2016.

The recent unexpected problems with soil conditions while tunnelling - which will delay the project
- are the responsibility of the private contractor consortium.

Note that the private contractor is building a single bore tunnel - which is an "innovation" versus
the Province's reference plan which was for a twin-bore project. This was said to speed up the schedule.
So in this case, had the Province proceeded with its own plan, the soil condition delays may have been encountered twice,
with a twin bore, rather than once with a single bore.

The current projected opening date is in Fall 2016
(Construction started in February 2013, with property acquisition and utility relocation undertaken by the Province before that.)
The contract requires TransLink to open within 1 month after substantial completion
- so backtracking 1 month to substantial completion, the contractor's penalties are for at least a month.

Here's the Press Release about the delayed opening and that the Contractor is responsible for the cost of the delay:

http://www.evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/documents/NewsReleases/2015TRAN0016-000182.pdf

http://www.partnershipsbc.ca/files-4/documents/PBCEvergreen.pdf

http://www.partnershipsbc.ca/files-4/documents/PBCEvergreen.pdf

Last edited:
And I don't know why there's so much hate on for having Spadina in the name of Line 1. I'd personally rather we get rid of the boring University part, and make it the Yonge-Spadina line. We're probably the only city in the world to have a First Nations / aboriginal word as the name of a rapid transit line.
Ask a Vancouverite (I know a few personally, despite me not being from Vancouver). That city has a rapid transit line called the Canada line, with the name of that line being from an aboriginal word for "village."

Ask a Vancouverite (I know a few personally, despite me not being from Vancouver). That city has a rapid transit line called the Canada line, with the name of that line being from an aboriginal word for "village."

Ah, touche. Didn't think of that.

Maybe follow what the retailers do, and just add an "s" without changing the "y" to "ie". "Universitys"? Nah.

I actually love the trend of naming places and infrastructure after aboriginal names. We get so caught up in modern culture that native Canadian history gets erased. Preserving it place names (Niagara, Spadina, Seneca, Mohawk, etc) is great. Someone might ask themselves... where does that come from. And there you go, opens up a huge part of our history for people to learn about. I do lament the loss of the Spadina name for that reason. :(

For Ottawa's new Confederation Line, the LeBreton Flats station name is being changed to Pimisi, which reflects the Algonquin name for the area around the falls on the Ottawa River. And then of course you get names like Tunney's Pasture, which was only briefly owned by a Mr. Tunney and wasn't very good land for a pasture...

Dang, I wish I had a way to make some money off this. I wonder if it's too late to buy one of those rundown auto shops in Langstaff? Anyone want to go in with me?

(More seriously, it's kind of sad/interesting Markham has arguably done better/more ambitious planning for their non-existent subway than Vaughan has for their nearly-there subway. They probably "need" the Spadina extension more than Toronto [except the university] but I haven't seen any media asking Vaughan how they feel about this FUBAR.)

But as you've been so eager to show us, all of that land will be redeveloped into hulking skyscrapers worth millions... it's in the plan... it's set in stone... it's gonna happen. Vaughan has what we call "little city syndrome" and one could argue Richmond Hill does too. All of these grandiose plans to justify profligate ego spending is the reason why York Region is broke as hell and well on the verge of becoming the next Greece.

To be fair that is much more likely a reference to our nations name.. Which is indeed a first nations word. Originally spelled Kanada however.

I am sure the first nations don't use the Latin alphabets, so whether the British took it as a k or c is irrelevant.

I am sure the first nations don't use the Latin alphabets, so whether the British took it as a k or c is irrelevant.

Traditionally, native languages in Canada are oral only. Meaning they have no written form and thus no spellings.

In modern times, alphabets have been devised for native languages. These typically adapt the Latin alphabet to match the phonetic patterns of the language.. resulting in words that are pronounced differently than how we'd pronounce them. The modern spelling of the word Canada came from, using the new alphabet devised for the Iroquoian languages, is Khahnahda'.

Back