I thought/hoped he was just being ironic with his yawn. If you proposed that development near any Danforth subway station the residents - living along a subway line with a-few-minutes-access to downtown Toronto - would lose their minds.

That Vaughan is doing it on the site of an ugly-ass concrete plant, in an area with literally zero residents is obviously impressive. We could quibble about the design, once it's revealed, but this thread is always amusing for people insisting that the "subway to nowhere" won't work in terms of generating density etc. That single project is an impressive scale and, like Expo, it's on the fringe of VMC. It gives you a sense of what you're likely to see in the core, once things get going.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the concrete plant is actually across the street (ie, east of Maplecrete drive). The site in question is actually a single story building.

Some jurisdictions are adding storm-water features such as this:
Stormwater_Planter.jpg
I stumbled on the VMC's own streetscaping, landscape, and open space plan.
They have a few "blue" streets where they're basically suggesting to do this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the concrete plant is actually across the street (ie, east of Maplecrete drive). The site in question is actually a single story building.

You might be right. Either way, it's rather an upgrade any way you want to slice it. That's an ugly stretch of road. And, as I wrote above, one can infer you'll see even more density when the lands west of Jane get going.

Interesting the talk of "generating" density around subways when one of the densest areas for both employment & residential has no subway and badly needs it: King St West from Spadina to Liberty Village.

I don't think it's that interesting in that they are two totally different issues. Forgetting about Toronto (if possible, for just a moment) lots of people are moving to Vaughan and I think we'd all like them living in a walkable transit oriented community instead of 4-car-garage homes north of Kleinburg. As you point out, downtown is already dense and Vaughan is not so "generating" density that would otherwise be sprawl seems an obvious plus.

Whether Liberty Village has a subway or crappy streetcars or Uber is not mutually exclusive. There's more than one problem in the GTA and it's OK to solve one of them, even if there's another one you care about more.

Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station

CYdyZYjUMAA2D53.jpg_large.jpg

Posted on the city of Vaughan's twitter feed

Attachments

• CYdyZYjUMAA2D53.jpg_large.jpg
    CYdyZYjUMAA2D53.jpg_large.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 870
They look pretty big still.. Look at the porta potty in Salsa's pic. VMC still looks massive.

There are some additional updates floating around on Twitter that shows construction that is much further along at VMC and York U - the entrance pavillion at the latter is far, far more impressive.

See the Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/jmsker

AoD

I wonder how well these stations will age. Downsview hasn't aged a day since it opened 20 years ago, while Kennedy Station, which is 16 years older, is in decrepit condition.

Photo updates from the link.
Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at Tuesday Jan 12, 2016 1.56.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at Tuesday Jan 12, 2016 1.55.40 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at Tuesday Jan 12, 2016 1.56.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at Tuesday Jan 12, 2016 1.56.28 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,052
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at Tuesday Jan 12, 2016 1.55.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at Tuesday Jan 12, 2016 1.55.40 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,049

Back