Yes, this is the folly of endlessly extending subway lines into the suburbs. Subways aren't meant for long distance travel. That niche should be filled by commuter rail/RER as demand warrants.
The people that continuously push for these subway extensions probably don't ride from Kipling to Bloor, or Finch to Union on a daily basis. Sounds like a nightmare scenario to me.
I wonder what percentage of the people who get on at VMC will travel south of Bloor.

You're answering your own question - which has been mentioned and answered here about 500 times on this thread - the subway IS NOT designed solely (or even mostly) to shuttle people between VMC and Union Station. How many times does this straw man need to be burned at the stake? (This all applies, obviously, equally to the Yonge extension, which people think they can undermine by pointing out provides GO provides the same service. It doesn't.) The subway does not need to carry its riders from terminal-to-terminal to justify its existence. Even with RER, the thing that differentiates a subway (obviously, I think) is that it stops many times in between.

I wonder how many people take the 401 from Windsor to Montreal every day!
No, I don't.
I wonder how many people will be thrilled to take the 50-minute subway ride because right now they're doing the exact same commute but sitting on a YRT bus (or car!) in mixed traffic until they get to Downsview so they can take what I guess is a "normal-length" subway ride, despite a way longer total trip time.

There are 1000s of people who ride Finch-Union every day - and then they get on a bus at Finch and walk, or get off at Union and get on a subway and/or streetcar before they get to their office or home. A commute of 45-60 minutes is standard for many people in this region.
Maybe it is a nightmare scenario, but it's definitely the status quo in the GTA and has been for some time.

Last edited:
Oct 19
Late to the party, but just got these on line now and a lot more up on site
31178752352_af27cc288d_h.jpg

31286467966_c46617f894_h.jpg

30515304113_501817a467_h.jpg

30515299673_1f846ef584_h.jpg

31322269475_3cf6315a81_h.jpg

30514866023_c0aa5d4642_h.jpg

30954164340_638ce0c785_h.jpg

31207473401_9399f4bce1_h.jpg

30514917973_03139ff11d_h.jpg

30514940943_f7260e3ecc_h.jpg

30499432574_5391b8fe0a_h.jpg

30499436984_19d2aeded6_h.jpg

31177588402_e204569523_h.jpg

30514089083_00644421ef_h.jpg

30514092543_1eb1efe63d_h.jpg

31285409346_53ffcd6f91_h.jpg

31177605652_b21809355c_h.jpg

that overhang at pioneer station is simply MASSIVE...... maybe too big to my liking tbh.....
whats the concept behind this unless they plan on having double deckers serve this station........

York University Station.

york-university-subway-station.jpg

Where's the platform screen doors? Will they be installed in 2017, or were they cut by former Mayor Rob Ford?

York University Station.

Where's the platform screen doors? Will they be installed in 2017, or were they cut by former Mayor Rob Ford?

Platform screen doors were never part of the project, were they? They'd have to get ATC up and running on all of Line 1 before they could have them installed on any part of the Spadina Extension anyway.

Platform screen doors were never part of the project, were they? They'd have to get ATC up and running on all of Line 1 before they could have them installed on any part of the Spadina Extension anyway.

The first round of engineering on the Spadina Extension included support pillars at the edges of the platforms. This is only possible if you know exactly where the doors will be; so either ATC or very slow manually driven trains (see Jubilee line which ran with doors but no ATC for over a decade).

A design adjustment to each station was made, at a cost of around $15M per station IIRC (wider gap between vertical supports requires much stronger beams), when the ATC timeline started slipping. That was during the early "mixed signal" tender (old signalling + ATC overlayed ontop) which eventually got tossed as infeasible.

Last edited:
The first round of engineering on the Spadina Extension included support pillars at the edges of the platforms. This is only possible if you know exactly where the doors will be.

A design adjustment to each station was required, at a cost of around $15M per station IIRC (wider gap between supports requires much stronger beams), when the ATC timeline started slipping.
How can you design screen doors when you don't know what the new fleet will look like come 2025-2030?? What good having screen doors for the extension when rest of the line will not have them come opening day??

Given how over budget this extension is and lack of fund for other things, screen doors can wait until 2030. Need ATC more than screen doors as well a new fleet.

How can you design screen doors when you don't know what the new fleet will look like come 2025-2030??

This seems like a silly question doesn't it? We do it the same way we get them to fit a specific width, height, turn radius and every other physical constraint the pre-existing infrastructure enforces. You put the door locations in the spec for the tender.

What good having screen doors for the extension when rest of the line will not have them come opening day?

I gave that answer in the text you quoted: for new stations it allows you to put vertical supports immediately adjacent to the track. This takes them out of the customer flow area without needing significant reinforcement for a large horizontal span.

Last edited:
Finch West station seems so far behind
What do you expect when its Bondfield doing the work.

Only have to look at Burlington Go Station, Clarkson Parking Structure and Sheridan Mississauga Phase II to see why Finch is behind.

The only project I know Bondfield is not having a problem with, is Emerald City Rental buildings.

that overhang at pioneer station is simply MASSIVE...... maybe too big to my liking tbh.....
whats the concept behind this unless they plan on having double deckers serve this station........
The bus terminal is designed for 12 buses of which 5 of them are artic bays. Pioneer Village is designed to be a major bus terminal like Finch Station.

How can you design screen doors when you don't know what the new fleet will look like come 2025-2030?? What good having screen doors for the extension when rest of the line will not have them come opening day??
By that logic no-one would ever do screen doors since eventually the fleet would be refreshed. There were potential what-ifs about extending the Line 1 fleet from 450ft to 500ft post ATC (which would introduce the possibility of "odd" door spacing) but I doubt we see that happen anyway.

By that logic no-one would ever do screen doors since eventually the fleet would be refreshed. There were potential what-ifs about extending the Line 1 fleet from 450ft to 500ft post ATC (which would introduce the possibility of "odd" door spacing) but I doubt we see that happen anyway.
but isn't this like building the st clair street car just to redo the platforms because we didn't know the streetcar dimensions before hand. It can be spun poorly. Probably wouldn't affect a government who has the trust of tis people but I don't know if that's likely in the GTA in a few years time.

I would very surprise if the new fleet is not 500' long when order.

From my point of view, make all 7 cars the same length, which mean the cars will be shorter. It would reduce the squeal noise on the curves because the c/c of trucks will be less than today ones..

Until the design for the new fleet is known, best to put the screen doors on the back burner.

We will know in a few months if the CEO will be doing another 5 year tour or not. Andy needs to hang around for another 5 years to get TTC back to where it should be and get the fleet it needs. He done a better job of any GM/CEO since the 90's. I know he pushing for 500' trains and adding more new Flexity cars sooner than later.

Last edited:

Back