Yes, this is the folly of endlessly extending subway lines into the suburbs. Subways aren't meant for long distance travel. That niche should be filled by commuter rail/RER as demand warrants.

The people that continuously push for these subway extensions probably don't ride from Kipling to Bloor, or Finch to Union on a daily basis. Sounds like a nightmare scenario to me.

I wonder what percentage of the people who get on at VMC will travel south of Bloor.

That was one of the reasons why the Bloor Danforth line was never extended to Dixie GO. The density was not there and there was no reason to think anyone would ride such a distance to get to Toronto.

I travel daily from Warden to Old Mill and even that is a hell of a commute on the subway.

30 mins is my max but at 20 I start getting antsy. Love visiting NYC and riding the train out to queens with a view of manhatten.

pretty nifty but it says it takes 3 mins to get from eglinton west to St claire. I live at Eglinton West and pretty frequently go downtown via TTC (I did today at least) and that ride is always 4 mins at the minimum upwards to 5. Heres my real TTC question why is it that the TTC subway cars leave the stations when they dont know if it is all clear until the next stop. It would be so much better if when there was a delay I was at a station so I could make a exit strategy versus being in the middle of a dark tunnel with no escape plan other then running in the dark and possibly hitting the third rail.

That chart was provided by the TTC and used to be on their website. It came out right around the time the Sheppard subway opened.

As for why trains do not leave until the distance to the next station is clear, that is simple. If the travel time between stations is 4 minutes and you wait 4 minutes for the train ahead to get to the station well then your commute between stations becomes 8 minutes. When it takes 8 minutes to get between one station you can bet your ass it would take 40 minutes to get from the outer ends of the lines to yonge and bloor streets.

I forget where the data is, but I'd assume there's more trains than there are stations on the Yonge line, probably BD too, than there are stations, at least during peak hours, if not always.

I forget where the data is, but I'd assume there's more trains than there are stations on the Yonge line, probably BD too, than there are stations, at least during peak hours, if not always.

42 trains during the rush hour and 37 during off peak on the Bloor Danforth line. With 31 stations on that line it is concievable to have trains reach the station ahead before the train behind departs. You could have 21 in either direction but that would likely cause mayhem at the ends of the line. It is easier to run on headways than to worry about whether or not the distance between stations is clear before departing.

The only time they ever worry about if the distance between stations is clear is when the are keying by as the signals would then be out and they need to know there is no way for trains to collide between stations. That is a process put in place after Russell Hill. With that in mind, whenever they do that there is usually a lengthy delay of 20 or more minutes between stations.

Given an approximate time of 3- 5 minutes between stations anywhere between 18-30 minutes to travel from Sheppard West to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. That brings total travel time to roughly 86 minutes (1 hour and 26 minutes) Finch to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.

Miles off.

The trip from Sheppard West to VMC should take about 11 minutes at rush hour and the middle of the day, and closer to 9 minutes in the evenings.

but no one is going to take that trip. The real trip is from VMC to Union which looks to be upwards to 50 mins. That is a long ride to be underground for. Personally I always look forward to when the train goes above ground at Eglinton West.

Very few people will be travelling from VMC to Union, either. Just like on the Yonge side, there is a lot of turnover along the route.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Miles off.

The trip from Sheppard West to VMC should take about 11 minutes at rush hour and the middle of the day, and closer to 9 minutes in the evenings.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks for that Dan, I was doing the math in my head lacking any other information. I figured six times 3 was 18, factoring in subway delays etc bringing it up to 30.

Very few people will be travelling from VMC to Union, either. Just like on the Yonge side, there is a lot of turnover along the route.

Yes but something to keep in mind, there is little to no reason for people to get off at places like Lawrence West, Glencairn or Eglinton West. Along Yonge there are plenty of reasons for people to get off at Lawrence, Eglinton, Sheppard and even Summerhill. With that said, the only reason to get off along the Spadina line is Yorkdale and Dupont (thanks to all the residential in the area). I can see York Regionals going from York Region to Downtown Toronto for work and back again but not to stop along the way.

Those stations you mentioned are usually busy stations. You will see people get off and transfer to buses to get to their destination.

But yes, I suspect many will take it right to downtown. My experience on the Spadina line is that probably 2/3 of people who get on at Downsview go all the way down to Bloor.

VMC - Bloor will only be 30 minutes though according to the chart and Smallspy's intel on the travel time for the extension.. so that isn't that bad. That trip today on the bus is over an hour.

A solid 8-9 minutes of that is above ground as well for views and cell service to break it up.

A solid 8-9 minutes of that is above ground as well for views and cell service to break it up.
Hopefully they'll be getting the wifi into the tunnel not long after the extension opens.

I can't remember what the timeframe was to start putting service into the tunnels - but I thought they were starting by about 2018 or so.

Hopefully they'll be getting the wifi into the tunnel not long after the extension opens.

I can't remember what the timeframe was to start putting service into the tunnels - but I thought they were starting by about 2018 or so.

Speaking of Wifi the social login (where you could login for a month straight) has been discontinued. I am wondering if they are trying to limit usage with all the stations coming online now. It is a pain in the ass having to login every hour or so. As someone pointed out on twitter it would be nice to have the option of a permanent login or temporary login.

Speaking of Wifi the social login (where you could login for a month straight) has been discontinued. I am wondering if they are trying to limit usage with all the stations coming online now. It is a pain in the ass having to login every hour or so. As someone pointed out on twitter it would be nice to have the option of a permanent login or temporary login.

well the long term is to have wifi in the tunnels as well so in a few years it would be a moot point. However I do see where youre coming from and that would be a logical idea to consider

Back