Wow. So they built 407 for what? The 500 space commuter lot and one single YRT bus route (20 Jane) that still goes, IIRC, to Pioneer Village and maybe York U after? They marketed it as a huge GO terminal, and it would save 407 riders trying to go across the highway time vs. going all the way south to/north from York for no reason, and the GO terminal will just be completely vacant indefinitely?

I'd guess that they'll start using that terminal as soon as they have some agreement with the TTC that keeps the current fares for their passengers who are going to York U. Maybe they'll run the airport bus through there when the subway is operating.

Why not have Presto users who boarded at VMC or 407 stations get a free ride if they tap off at York U within 10/15 minutes? That could be calculated.

As is often the case, it's just a problem of two transit systems operated by two different organizations with two different customers in mind. For now, any tap-off system seems to be a complete non-starter for the TTC, and I imagine that they'd even be strongly opposed to an optional tap-off at York University if Go Transit proposed that. If it doesn't benefit (and confuses some) TTC passengers, why would the TTC be open to it?

There's also the issue of funding. Go Transit obviously isn't going to pay the TTC $3.00 for their passengers to travel just two stops (from both the 407 and Downsview Park), so any arrangement like this would require the transit agencies to find common ground how much Metrolinx will pay the TTC for the two-stop shuttles.

If it were just a cost to riders issue, ML could handle that on their own.

If someone taps off a bus at 407 subway station then taps onto subway and taps off at York then rebate them an amount equivalent to their TTC fare on the GO fare they paid on the bus.

It would require the installation of a special/optional tap off machine at York to track those folks.....paint it red or something and call it the rebater. ....or you could just make York (uniquely) a tap off subway station for everyone.

But, the point is, ML GO and Presto are all provincial agencies which, between them, could solve the fare issue for York Students on their own without any involvement with, or agreement by, the TTC.

If someone taps off a bus at 407 subway station then taps onto subway and taps off at York then rebate them an amount equivalent to their TTC fare on the GO fare they paid on the bus. It would require the installation of a special/optional tap off machine at York to track those folks.....paint it red or something and call it the rebater. ....or you could just make York (uniquely) a tap off subway station for everyone.

The TTC would never allow a single station requiring a tap-off for everyone, and they probably don't like the idea of a special machine that will confuse some of their passengers either. And again, Go Transit isn't just going to give the TTC an entire fare for a two-stop subway shuttle. That's the second big challenge - there's obviously going to be a lot of contention over how much Metrolinx should pay per passenger. Metrolinx will want to pay a low amount because the cost of moving those additional passengers is very, very low (it requires no extra service), and the TTC will want more because they have the upper hand in all of this, at least for now.

And again, Go Transit isn't just going to give the TTC an entire fare for a two-stop subway shuttle. That's the second big challenge - there's obviously going to be a lot of contention over how much Metrolinx should pay per passenger. Metrolinx will want to pay a low amount because the cost of moving those additional passengers is very, very low (it requires no extra service), and the TTC will want more because they have the upper hand in all of this, at least for now.

Maybe you missed the first line in my post:

If it were just a cost to riders issue, ML could handle that on their own.

I'd guess that they'll start using that terminal as soon as they have some agreement with the TTC that keeps the current fares for their passengers who are going to York U. Maybe they'll run the airport bus through there when the subway is operating.

Maybe they should’ve worked that all prior to spending hundreds of millions of dollars on this station.

This shows how idiotic the transit system in this place is. Expecting someone who is travelling two stops or one stop to pay 3 dollar fare because they are arriving on a GO bus while someone can travel from Scarborough Town Centre station to Kipling station on one fare is absurd.

Wow. So they built 407 for what? The 500 space commuter lot and one single YRT bus route (20 Jane) that still goes, IIRC, to Pioneer Village and maybe York U after? They marketed it as a huge GO terminal, and it would save 407 riders trying to go across the highway time vs. going all the way south to/north from York for no reason, and the GO terminal will just be completely vacant indefinitely?

Until the 407 Transitway is completed from Oakville to Cornell, that station is basically flyover country. Or better described as a ghost town considering the large cemetery next door.

When is the transitway to be completed?

Not for a very long time. It's been broken up into 4 different EAs with absolutely minimal staffing (seems like 1 MTO staff doing them sequentially during slow periods). 2 of 4 sections have finished the process (first PIC was in 2009) with 2 sections/EAs remaining.

First section (Highway 400 to Kennedy Road) got ministry of environment approval in 2012. I have no idea where they might be on engineering but obviously they've not managed to start construction over the last 5 years.

As much as I give flack to Metrolinx for slow scale-up/execution, I'm very thankful GO isn't under the MTO planning department anymore.

Last edited:
Not for a very long time. It's been broken up into 4 different EAs with absolutely minimal staffing (seems like 1 MTO staff doing them sequentially during slow periods). 2 of 4 sections have finished the process (first PIC was in 2009) with 2 sections/EAs remaining.

First section (Highway 400 to Kennedy Road) got ministry of environment approval in 2012. I have no idea where they might be on engineering but obviously they've not managed to start construction over the last 5 years.

As much as I give flack to Metrolinx for slow scale-up/execution, I'm very thankful GO isn't under the MTO planning department anymore.
Are GO buses in mixed 407 traffic delayed at all due to traffic congestion?

Are GO buses in mixed 407 traffic delayed at all due to traffic congestion?
I think it’s more about GO buses getting congested on Keele, Jane, Steeles, and around York U. If they all stopped at Highway 407 Station, then there will only be one choke point, the Jane Street Interchange.

Why is MTO handling the EA for the transitway?

Back