What about an express tube under Lake Ontario? Why route a future relief line under Queen when you can go straight under Lake Ontario!

Toronto's next bedroom community.... Niagara on the Lake. Buy now while the market is still affordable...

If England and France can build a 50 km tunnel under the channel than surely Canada can build one under the Lake.

*Excuse me I need to have my tongue surgically removed from my cheek*

It could be a bridge with trains running under the road part. If a long Confederation bridge can link nowhere to nowhere, then there certainly can be a Toronto to St. Catherine’s bridge. The other side could become the New Jersey of Toronto.

But it wouldn’t bode well for Toronto traffic so they’ll have to fix that too.

Per this tweet from Ben Spurr from the November 2017 TTC Board Meeting:

TTC staff say that Metrolinx has told them roll-out of new Presto vending machines has been delayed from next spring until at least the summer.

The only new Presto vending machines I'm aware of are the ones that will also dispense single-use disposable paper "presto cards" for cash fare riders.

How will the TYSSE work without these machines? There are going to be no collectors, I was at both open houses and there are no collector aisles, even. How will cash fare riders open the gates without these machines to dispense paper presto cards?

The only new Presto vending machines I'm aware of are the ones that will also dispense single-use disposable paper "presto cards" for cash fare riders.

How will the TYSSE work without these machines? There are going to be no collectors, I was at both open houses and there are no collector aisles, even. How will cash fare riders open the gates without these machines to dispense paper presto cards?
They don’t. So Presto will probably have a “Presto Booth” at all stations where you can buy a $6 (+$10 required load) Presto Card instead.

According to the postcards they were handing out, people can still use tokens, tickets, and metropass. However these can not be purchased at the TYSSE stations. My guess is there will be a crash gate until new limited-use Presto media is available.

News Release

Toronto-York TTC Subway Extension Set to Open in 30 Days
November 17, 2017

Faster and More Convenient Public Transit for Commuters
The new TTC subway extension from Downsview Park Station in Toronto to the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre in York Region will open on Dec. 17, just 30 days from today. The new subway extension will provide subway service that moves beyond regional boundaries in Ontario for the very first time.

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, Francesco Sorbara, MP Vaughan-Woodbridge, Michael Levitt, MP York Centre, John Tory, Mayor of Toronto, Josh Colle, Chair of TTC and Wayne Emmerson, Chairman and CEO of York Region, marked the 30-day countdown today by taking a tour and putting final touches on the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and Downsview Park stations.

The Toronto-York Spadina Subway (TYSSE), is an 8.6-kilometre extension of the TTC Line 1 from Downsview Park Station to the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre at Highway 7 in York Region. There are six new subway stations, three new commuter parking lots and TTC, York Region and GO bus terminals, making it easier for commuters to get around.

Starting on Dec. 17, the Line 1 subway extension will help get commuters to where they need to go sooner. Commuters will be able to go from Sheppard West Station to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station in 14 minutes.

The TYSSE project is jointly funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, the City of Toronto and The Regional Municipality of York. The Government of Canada has committed up to $697 million to the project. The Province of Ontario has provided $870 million through the Move Ontario Trust. Total City of Toronto funding will amount to $904 million and total Regional Municipality of York funding will amount to $604 million.

QUICK FACTS
  • The Line 1 extension/TYSSE project comprises six new stations: Downsview Park, Finch West, York University, Pioneer Village, Highway 407 and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.
  • The Line 1 Extension/TYSSE project created an estimated 20,000 jobs during construction.
  • The Province of Ontario and the City of Toronto are cutting the cost of commuting for people in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. Starting in January 2018, adult, senior, youth and student commuters will pay a TTC fare of just $1.50 when they use a PRESTO card to transfer between GO Transit or the UP Express and the TTC.

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, Francesco Sorbara, MP Vaughan-Woodbridge, Michael Levitt, MP York Centre, John Tory, Mayor of Toronto, Josh Colle, Chair of TTC and Wayne Emmerson, Chairman and CEO of York Region, marked the 30-day countdown today by taking a tour and putting final touches on the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and Downsview Park stations.

So, more than a photo op....they did some work?

So the parking is $50 per hour right :D
More likely closer to the $12 charged by KPMG for their lot and garage. However, during the VMC open house a Smart Centres rep told me they're negotiating the rate down to five or six dollars. Also, it's completely up in the air what's going to happen with the Wal-Mart parking lot. Ever since the KPMG building opened, I've had a fun time watching people parking everywhere else for free and walking into the KPMG building. I really think Wal-Mart's time is up for this Vaughan location because they won't like to charge anything for their parking and yet they don't want freeloaders parking there, either.

I really think Wal-Mart's time is up for this Vaughan location because they won't like to charge anything for their parking and yet they don't want freeloaders parking there, either.
I know a few retail parking lots with similar carpool scenarios. The business owners are torn between loosing the parking spaces during the day, but having those people purchase products from the business either before they travel, or after they come back.

I know there is a superstore beside Milton GO that has issues with GO commuters parking it it's lot.. it just enforces a strict tow policy. They mark the tires and wait 2 hours, then tow.

Also, the Vaughan wal-mart lot is always shockingly empty. Even if a good chunk of the lot is taken up by rogue parkers, there will still be plenty of space for customers.

Back