I think we can sleep soundly knowing that YorkU station (and Finch West in the coming years with the LRT) will have good, even great, ridership. The 60 bus can probably make PV decent; downtown Vaughan will eventually help VMC; redeveloping Downsview airport will help DP. Eventually I think only 407 will remain a ghost town (and maybe not even this one if 407 GO service increases). I'm actually more optimistic about these stations the last two weeks than I've been since I started following Toronto transit matters.

If we could only get pass the notion that seems to percolate on this forum that building subways is somehow a mistake; then all the new stations are categorically winners and were worth building.

No one in 20 years time will be concerned with capital costs or ridership totals per stop, they'll just be thankful there's a stop close by to where they work, school or live when they need it to whisk them to other parts of the city rapidly.

If we could only get pass the notion that seems to percolate on this forum that building subways is somehow a mistake; then all the new stations are categorically winners and were worth building.

No one in 20 years time will be concerned with capital costs or ridership totals per stop, they'll just be thankful there's a stop close by to where they work, school or live when they need it to whisk them to other parts of the city rapidly.

Prior to the opening of the TYSSE is there a station that should not have been built?

Why have they not closed them?

Public pressure mainly.

Chester is in the middle of the Danforth between Broadview and Pape. It would have been too far to walk between Broadview and Pape (I have done it) so I can see why Chester is open.,

Ellesmere was built as an intermediate station between Midland and Lawrence East. I really do not see the point of it because of how close it is to Midland but it was built alongside Kennedy Road amongst factories so I can only assume it has a purpose.

Glencairn serves a highly residential area so there was likely demand for it.

Bessarion is an enigma. It was built as an intermediate station but only now 13 years after opening is it seeing any real demand.

Essentially they are all intermediate stations that have had demand build up around them. No sense in closing them.

Public pressure mainly.

Chester is in the middle of the Danforth between Broadview and Pape. It would have been too far to walk between Broadview and Pape (I have done it) so I can see why Chester is open.,

Ellesmere was built as an intermediate station between Midland and Lawrence East. I really do not see the point of it because of how close it is to Midland but it was built alongside Kennedy Road amongst factories so I can only assume it has a purpose.

Glencairn serves a highly residential area so there was likely demand for it.

Bessarion is an enigma. It was built as an intermediate station but only now 13 years after opening is it seeing any real demand.

Essentially they are all intermediate stations that have had demand build up around them. No sense in closing them.

Will anything like that happen to 407?

Will anything like that happen to 407?
Not in the near future.

Who would want to live or work next to a 3 Level Stack Interchange, a freight corridor (with potential widening), or a cemetery? The only thing I can see as a possiblilty is when VMC is "complete" and there's demand for more buildings, then they could build next to Highway 407 Station. However, I see a larger commuter lot and 407 Transitway maintenance facility much more likely. It's a poor location for ANY development that will result in ridership.

407 Transitway Station.png

The only thing that can get Highway 407 Station's ridership numbers up is proper fare integration and it being a GO Transit bus hub, which will both happen in time.

Attachments

• 407 Transitway Station.png
    407 Transitway Station.png
    877.7 KB · Views: 442
If we could only get pass the notion that seems to percolate on this forum that building subways is somehow a mistake;
The mistake is building a form of transit that drains the available coffers to the detriment of far more demanding projects and a better way to deliver the service.

Toronto has over-invested in subways at tremendous cost: Editorial
A Pembina Institute study shows Toronto has over-invested in subways at tremendous cost while Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa created more transit for less money.
Toronto’s decades-long fixation on subways has left it “stuck in its tracks” compared to cities that are more open to other rapid transit options. Canada’s largest city spends far more per kilometre on new rapid transit and gets a lot less for its money.

That depressing verdict comes in a new report comparing transit across Canada by the highly regarded Pembina Institute. Toronto’s mayoral candidates, and voters, would do well to pay close attention to these findings. Obsessing on subways carries high costs.

Researchers examined commuter systems in five cities: Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa. They found the two oldest centres, Toronto and Montreal, lag far behind in launching new rapid transit lines.

The comparison is striking. In the last 20 years Toronto managed to open just 18 kilometres of rapid transit, less than one kilometre a year. In contrast, over the same period, Vancouver opened 44 kilometres, more than twice as much. Calgary opened 29 and even Ottawa delivered 23.

That’s a shamefully poor showing for a city like Toronto which aspires to be a leader in public transit. It’s small consolation that Montreal did even worse, opening just 5 kilometres of line in the past two decades. For the purposes of the study, “rapid transit” was defined as subways, light-rail lines, Vancouver’s SkyTrain, right-of-way streetcars travelling in their own separated lane, and right-of-way bus routes.

Toronto and Montreal lag because, unlike other cities, they’ve been slow to invest in “quick-to-deploy rapid transit technologies.” Instead, Toronto has focused on slow-to-deliver subways that come at a heavy cost. That’s why it’s stuck paying an average of $236 million per kilometre for new rapid transit — more than any other city in the study.

By failing to deliver effective, low-cost alternatives such as light rail and bus rapid transit Toronto has, for years, shortchanged its riders.[...]
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/edi..._in_subways_at_tremendous_cost_editorial.html

Last edited:
The mistake is building a form of transit that drains the available coffers to the detriment of far more demanding projects.

A Pembina Institute study shows Toronto has over-invested in subways at tremendous cost while Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa created more transit for less money.
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/edi..._in_subways_at_tremendous_cost_editorial.html

The city of Toronto has a higher population than the CMAs of Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa. The commuting range of Toronto is much more than those 3 CMAs combined!

Toronto needs more lines and to extend all lines.

Line one needs to go to at least Richmond Hill.
Line 2 should be extended to STC and to somewhere in Mississauga.
Line 4 Needs to be extended to the Airport and to STC, and beyond into Durham Region.

The DRL needs to be built to Markham and the Airport.

Maybe by then, we can slow down.

The mistake is building a form of transit that drains the available coffers to the detriment of far more demanding projects and a better way to deliver the service.

The thing is Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver are different cities compared to Toronto. With the exception of Vancouver none have the demand for a subway.

Line one needs to go to at least Richmond Hill.
Line 2 should be extended to STC and to somewhere in Mississauga.

THIS makes sense. Connecting the Bloor-Danforth line to Square One and STC would actually be a good thing. You could get people from one of the biggest transit hubs in the 905 to another regional hub in the east end of Toronto.

Same goes with Line 1, you could catch a ton of people coming in from Markham and Thornhill if you extended it to Richmond Hill.

THIS makes sense. Connecting the Bloor-Danforth line to Square One and STC would actually be a good thing. You could get people from one of the biggest transit hubs in the 905 to another regional hub in the east end of Toronto.

Same goes with Line 1, you could catch a ton of people coming in from Markham and Thornhill if you extended it to Richmond Hill.

... but those will never get done until until the DRL.

As much as I hate to say it we have as much chance of getting a DRL built as we do of successfully juggling active chainshaws without winding up in the hospital.

It's possible but do you think someone will actually do it?

Why would you say that?

Right now, we are in the best position to get it. There are elections happening for the next few years at all levels. Do you think there is a politician that would try to say that it is not needed?

Back