True, the 407 station's sole purpose is to have tons of parking. I think there's also a bus terminal planned for GO buses but I'm not too sure about that.

I think there's also a bus terminal planned for GO buses but I'm not too sure about that.

Yep, you got it.

Well, since the station won't be removed, why not just reduce the station's operating hours on weekends? It's already just a "commuter" station anyhow.... Save some costs by closing the station late at night and have reduced hours on weekends and holidays.

York University would laugh at the suggestion of an elevated subway through the Campus, and the preferred route alignment cuts through a number of buildings. North of Steeles you may be able to get away with an elevated structure.
You want to save money? Take out the 407 station. Useless station.

agreed...
even better...

Stop at Steeles West...but it's never going to happen...
It's a waste of money...

I just dont understand the concept of the 407 station. I understand some think ppl will commute similar to Go transit. Why couldnt ppl commute at the highway 7 stop. Also isnt the Go transit model a business concept of the past. Building huge lots hoping for transit. Should we be building high density arround the stations not parking lots. Isnt this whats happening at locations such as downsview and wilson. Intensification. This seems to be the reverse.

Also does the Sheppard west station even connect to sheppard or is it so far into the downsview park that someone travelling east on sheppard by bus would continue to downsview VS transfering at sheppard west. If this is the case, does this station make sense either? A station to serve a park in a country which only has good weather 6 months of a year.

I just dont understand the concept of the 407 station. I understand some think ppl will commute similar to Go transit. Why couldnt ppl commute at the highway 7 stop. Also isnt the Go transit model a business concept of the past. Building huge lots hoping for transit. Should we be building high density arround the stations not parking lots. Isnt this whats happening at locations such as downsview and wilson. Intensification. This seems to be the reverse.

Also does the Sheppard west station even connect to sheppard or is it so far into the downsview park that someone travelling east on sheppard by bus would continue to downsview VS transfering at sheppard west. If this is the case, does this station make sense either? A station to serve a park in a country which only has good weather 6 months of a year.

I think it's for the Go Train...I guess
I guess people working at NYCC can get of there and take the 84 bus to Sheppard-Yonge...Which is why finishing the Sheppard line
makes more sense. Wanna bet more people would take that go Train instead of taking buses to Finch? At the same time increases
the ridership of Sheppard and reducing Traffic on Yonge...

Can't expect politicians to think that way...

From my point of view, this line should go to Jane-Sheppard

The Highway 7 station is being foreseen as a highly urbanized environment with no room for surface parking, exactly like you're describing as desireable.

The 407 site is under high-tension hydro lines so isn't exactly likely to ever host infill development. There's nothing you can really ever hope to put there except a parking lot.

Likewise, the reason Sheppard West has been sited where it is is precisely to leave room for high-density TOD around it, including the space between Sheppard Avenue and the station. Downsview Park will shrink to just be a rump space in the southwest corner of the current lands.

But the Sheppard station is right next to an airport and there's gonna be height restrictions just like the 407 station. We're not likely to have high density TOD if there are height restrictions in place and they can't shut the airport down since it's Bombardier's airport.

The only reason I see why the Sheppard station is being built is for the transfer between subway and GO. Though this isn't a very good reason to build a station, it conforms to Metrolinx's multiple transit systems interchanging at key stations.

I really have no idea why the TTC has this mindset. When they build subway they massively overbuild everything, but when they build LRT they try to save every single penny.

Besides the art and decor budget, the subway stations on the Sheppard line and the University extension are not over built. They are built to unload two six car trains in an emergency, handle wheelchair accessibility, and provide an alternate exit should one be blocked. The absence of six feet of dirt over a cut and cover station is cheaper than the presence of six feet of dirt over a cut and cover station.

But the Sheppard station is right next to an airport and there's gonna be height restrictions just like the 407 station. We're not likely to have high density TOD if there are height restrictions in place and they can't shut the airport down since it's Bombardier's airport.

I guess you haven't been following the neighbourhood plans because the whole area west of the station will be littered with mid-rise to high-rise residential and a number of 5 story office buildings will be walkable from the station.

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/Downsview_MeetingPanels_Sept14_2.pdf

It's better to get the stations now, overbuilt as they will be, than wait and assume they'd be built in the future. Chances are they'd never be added.

Back