The Idea is to abandon the subway North of YU, I believe. The idea isn't unprecedented- the TTC considered doing the same to Sheppard Line

The Idea is to abandon the subway North of YU, I believe. The idea isn't unprecedented- the TTC considered doing the same to Sheppard Line

Abandon it with the tunnel already built and the station structures already in place? Does that make sense?

no it isn't, they are simply considering delaying the opening of the subway north of Steeles. Not permanently abandoning it.

How temporary is temporary? Even the Sheppard abandonment plan was temporary.

To me, article indicated the line could remain unused until ridership increased north of YU:

"Both he and Tory say the city may have to consider opening the subway only as far as York University to start. That’s where the bulk of the ridership is expected to be initially."

So depending on the success of VMC, this thing could lie unused for a few years or indefinitely (how I interpreted it)

Mind that the expected AM ridership of this thing at Sheppard West Station is expected to be only 7,000 ppphpd, which is very low ridership for a subway route. I can't imagine the ridership north of YU being even half of that.

For reference, 4 Sheppard Line, infamous for its low ridership, moves only 4,000 pphpd. 510 Spadina Line has slightly higher usage than that. 6 Finch LRT and 7 Sheppard LRT both move about 3,000. 1 Yonge will move somewhere around 35,000 not long after ATC is online. The Relief Line moves almost 10,000 for the Pape to Downtown stub, and a lot more than that once extended North and west.

Personally, I'd mouthball any sections moving less than 4,000. Any lower than that is a ridiculous waste of the Commission's finite resources.

Last edited:
Abandon it with the tunnel already built and the station structures already in place? Does that make sense?

Potentially. Depending on how low usage is, it doesn't make sense spending tens of millions of dollars to subsidize this thing, especially when the Commission is struggling to find money for important initiatives like improving system accessibility

Last edited:
Potentially. Depending on how low usage is, it doesn't make sense spending tens of millions of dollars to subsidize this thing, especially when the Commission is struggling to find money for important initiatives like improving system accessibility

If you think the province and the feds who invested the bulk of the money into the project will just sit there while the TTC decides to just open the subway up to York U while the section to Vaughan sits abandoned, then your living in some fantasy land.

The idea isn't unprecedented- the TTC considered doing the same to Sheppard Line
No they didn't. That was merely a stunt by a former chair to gain support to raise fares more than usual. Once staff came up with the cost of running buses compared to trains (and ignoring the capital expense of all the new buses), that one vanished off the list of proposed cuts.

If you think the province and the feds who invested the bulk of the money into the project will just sit there while the TTC decides to just open the subway up to York U while the section to Vaughan sits abandoned, then your living in some fantasy land.

I never said it was a good idea, just something to explore depending on how low usage is.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever support it. There are better options, such as reduced service on the section until ridership improves, or just running it at full service.

Last edited:
I am just trying to understand how your postpone to 2035 plan would work...who would write the cheque?

Do you realise the tunnel is already complete, and the 2 stations in Vaughan are both well under way, with contracts already awarded to complete the stations.

Surely the $100s of million the TTC would have to refund Ontario, York, and Canada would far exceed the cost of putting in track, power, and signals to Vaughan Centre.
The TTC. This is what happens when you make a bad deal.

They did the same to sheppard.

I never said it was a good idea, just something to explore depending on how low usage is.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever support it. There are better options, such as reduced service on the section until ridership improves, or just running it at full service.

Isn't there also the larger issue that Steeles/Black Creek Pioneer Village is one of the furthest-behind stations?

IIRC, they can't turn trains around at York; they have to turn them around at Steeles, so how does that work?

Plus, if TTC wants York Region to pay any share of the over-runs, I feel like they might be less open to that discussion if "their" stations are getting delayed to speed things up for Toronto. could be interesting...

So what will the province do? Toronto always seems to get pushed around.

Back