I know perfectly well how OPs, OPAs, Secondary Plans and zoning work, I assure you.

Really? You wrote paragraph, after paragraph - telling your audience that the official plan can’t change. You continued to quote and bandy about dated info that contradicted the recent info I had to brush you up on. I even made it easy for you by providing screenshots of the by-law changes and amendments, and yet you still denied it was possible. And insulted me for saying we were in the midst of changes. Nice try, though.

you mean as it is nowhere near Spadina Road?
I think the entire branch should be renamed. I know there is historical reasons, but the name is still largely misleading.
It was renamed. It's now officially the Yonge-University instead of the Yonge-University-Spadina.

However, the project was initiated several years ago. There's little point in renaming the project at this stage, with only a couple of years left to go.

So he's "open to options" but I didn't imagine the York-terminal thing (I did mis-type "Steeles" in that last post, however). And I believe others have verified, they can't turn York into a terminal unless they run the trains up to the not-open-yet Steeles station for the sole purpose of turning around.
To open York University Station, I would imagine an operational possibility would be to have a train cross-over north of Finch, and wrong-rail to York. Every other train could use the left or right track. Or, with long enough headways, just use a single track north of Finch West's crossover.

That's assuming they actually get York U station into a state fit for human habitation. I wouldn't be surprised if Del Duca's aggressive stance is to try to prevent the kind of massive shifting of resources away from the Vaughan stations to York U station that would be required to get that station operational sooner.

Opening to Finch West is the low-hanging fruit for a staged opening, and if they're studying all the possibilities, hopefully they will see that.

Last edited:
To open York University Station, I would imagine an operational possibility would be to have a train cross-over north of Finch, and wrong-rail to York. Every other train could use the left or right track.

That's assuming they actually get York U station into a state fit for human habitation. I wouldn't be surprised if Del Duca's aggressive stance is to try to prevent the kind of massive shifting of resources away from the Vaughan stations to York U station that would be required to get that station operational sooner.

Opening to Finch West is the low-hanging fruit for a staged opening, and if they're studying all the possibilities, hopefully they will see that.

I wonder how much "resource shifting" they can even do due to the fact all the stations are different contracts. Seems like a good idea to divvy it up until something like this, eh? I'm interested to see the scenarios they come up with. I don't see much point making big changes if it means, for example...
Scenario A: Entire line opens mid-2017
Revised Scenario: Open to York U in late-2016; rest of stations open mid-2018

I just made that up, clearly, but my point is that I don't think the rest of it should be delayed to get part of it open as a face-saving gesture. I guess it makes sense to get it open at least to York U ASAP but I suspect, even without the track issues, there will be other operational challenges in doing that (the question of the Steeles bus terminal comes to mind).

Honestly, the whole thing makes me shake my head and it does put the fear in one's heart, regarding Scarborough. TTC has to learn when it's time to delegate big projects, I think.

Oh, and on nomenclature, let's not forget the official name is the "Toronto York Spadina Subway Extension", so if you're tired of the "Spadina" name, maybe you can try to make "Toronto-York" or something like that a thing :)

Indeed, with the stations being separate contracts, at best, I could imagine the influence being limited to expediting funding funding for York U, at the expense of the others.

Prove it.

Prove it yourself - you know where it is. Hint: it’s around the time you downloaded/reposted my map (w/out permission), took it out of context, and childishly put words in my mouth concerning why I drew subway extensions along Sheppard and Finch.

Really? You wrote paragraph, after paragraph - telling your audience that the official plan can’t change. You continued to quote and bandy about dated info that contradicted the recent info I had to brush you up on. I even made it easy for you by providing screenshots of the by-law changes and amendments, and yet you still denied it was possible. And insulted me for saying we were in the midst of changes. Nice try, though.

Who cares? Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and Richmond Hill Metropolitan Centre are officially Places to Grow and they get subway. End of story. Anything short of such is denying York Region their manifest destiny. TJ is set to retire once he cashes out.

Prove it yourself - you know where it is. Hint: it’s around the time you downloaded/reposted my map (w/out permission), took it out of context, and childishly put words in my mouth concerning why I drew subway extensions along Sheppard and Finch.
Enough already!

Obviously no one is going to suggest cancelling part of this line at this stage - if that's what y'all are arguing about ...

Who cares? Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and Richmond Hill Metropolitan Centre are officially Places to Grow and they get subway. End of story. Anything short of such is denying York Region their manifest destiny. TJ is set to retire once he cashes out.

Dang, I wish I had a way to make some money off this. I wonder if it's too late to buy one of those rundown auto shops in Langstaff? Anyone want to go in with me?

(More seriously, it's kind of sad/interesting Markham has arguably done better/more ambitious planning for their non-existent subway than Vaughan has for their nearly-there subway. They probably "need" the Spadina extension more than Toronto [except the university] but I haven't seen any media asking Vaughan how they feel about this FUBAR.)

Or just always optimistic that people can sort it out themselves (or that they'll just get bored and stop it).
*sigh*
OK STOP IT YOU TWO. DON'T MAKE ME PULL OVER.

I stopped- there's just several other people venting their frustration with 44 too. It has a certain life of its own ;)

Allen Road, which was originally called the Spadina Expressway, was built at the same time as Spadina Line. Somewhere down the line the name of the expressway changed to Allen Road.

that's why I said there is a historical reason. However, the Spadina Expressway was intended to go all the way to Spadina avenue passing Bloor, which is why it is called such - it indicates where the expressway ends. And as Spadine Ave is a well known street downtown, it gives the name of the expressway a purpose.

on the other hand, the bogus "Spadina subway" neither starts or ends on Spadina Road or Spadina Avenue. It has two stations on Spadina (Dupont and Spadina stations), that's it, which makes the name less sensible than the Spadina expressway by far.

This is why naming the subway by a street name makes little sense. By colour or by number is far better. At least the King street car runs mostly on King st, and Dundas streetcar runs mostly on Dundas. Spadina expressway is hardly an acceptable reason for calling the subway branch "Spadina subway" - didn't make sense in the beginning, won't make sense in the future.

Back