Thanks Drum - wonder what they are planning for the ex-Target space. It might be tough to have the entire piece leased out as is. Perhaps they are planning to subdivide it along the lines of Sears @ Eaton Centre?

AoD
Not only that, they have the theatre area and a number of large empty stores. Still got to fill in the area where Richtree was. That west extension that got change after Omers bought the mall in the 90's, has come back and bite them in the ass.

Time to blow it up and start with a small area with 3/4 levels to support 500 stores of various sizes. All parking underground with mix mid-tall development on the current site including a community centre; day care; k-12 mix school; etc.

Wouldn't be surprise to see Target get split up as you stated or torn down.

I'm very curious what they're going to do with Target and the theatre space. That's a lot of space to fill.

I'd really expect Uniqlo to jump at locating in Square One.

So what do people think of the future of Square One?

I believe that while suburban mega-malls are deplorable consequences of urban sprawl, the malls themselves are examples of the kind of human-scale, vibrant shopping attractions akin to what urbanists praise on the street level.

This area is going to be (in the future, more evidently so) the downtown of Mississauga and Square One mall is going to anchor it. The parking lots surrounding it are in the long-term going to become irresistible to development.

Will Square One have to be redeveloped completely into something more like the Eaton Centre one day?

So what do people think of the future of Square One?

I believe that while suburban mega-malls are deplorable consequences of urban sprawl, the malls themselves are examples of the kind of human-scale, vibrant shopping attractions akin to what urbanists praise on the street level.

This area is going to be (in the future, more evidently so) the downtown of Mississauga and Square One mall is going to anchor it. The parking lots surrounding it are in the long-term going to become irresistible to development.

Will Square One have to be redeveloped completely into something more like the Eaton Centre one day?
The Mall is the white elephant for the City Downtown 21 plan.

It needs to become something like Eaton Centre to support 500 stores and have development above it, as well having 10,000 parking space below ground for the whole area.

If I had the $3-$5 Billions to redevelop this area, "It" would be a city with-in a city with everything you need to support 3-400,000 people living and working there that would include a new transit hub to support 125,000 riders a day. Would take 20 years to build it in phases. Fire Hall, k-12 Schools, Community Centre, park, office towers, pool & Skating arena, church, convention centre, hotel, residential towers of all sizes up to 110 floors, 2-4 grocery stores, streets with no traffic on them and so on.

One idea that you could do with Target site is have an Canadian Tire on the lower level and Best Buy on the upper level.

After Target Failure, don't expect to see large retail stores (more than 1 floor) entering Canada anytime soon unless its is in only a few cities that can support them in the first place.

July 9 and lot more up on site

Not sure what is going on with the paving by the terminal and it could be a platform for the new 4 bus stops going in On Sq One Dr or for Valet Parking or cabs. The Road itself is to be narrow yet.

Glazing going up for the new south entrance. Work taking place for the new roads as well parking to the point the west south side is close off to traffic, but can use that small new lot.

All the floor tile being replace in the southside court yard that was just replace. Removing the last mechanical room over the corridor by the Hudson's Bay, to give a clean eye shot of the corridors like they did on the other 5.

Cutting of the floor slab in the southside area for the new east-west escalators has taken place as well squaring up the opening. From the looks of things, going to put in a drop ceiling in this area now.

Hundson's Bay getting a total makeover on all levels with 2nd floor the main one more advance.
19444565080_84663639b4_b.jpg

19444619000_68f568489e_b.jpg

19010039204_59cc6b83fe_b.jpg

19001386034_4cdf54219f_b.jpg

19444690460_ea826af459_b.jpg

19001398594_fa45ce9a77_b.jpg

19435961398_8e318d3547_b.jpg

19001417994_79d66350a9_b.jpg

19624018785_f029a7877e_b.jpg

19597859146_0307a962d1_b.jpg

19617075112_fef4fc6fd6_b.jpg

19436130300_e9749c04c6_b.jpg

19001652314_6b0d7ab974_b.jpg

That glass entrance is going to be one of the nicest mall entrances in the GTA.

The Mall is the white elephant for the City Downtown 21 plan.

It needs to become something like Eaton Centre to support 500 stores and have development above it, as well having 10,000 parking space below ground for the whole area.

If I had the $3-$5 Billions to redevelop this area, "It" would be a city with-in a city with everything you need to support 3-400,000 people living and working there that would include a new transit hub to support 125,000 riders a day. Would take 20 years to build it in phases. Fire Hall, k-12 Schools, Community Centre, park, office towers, pool & Skating arena, church, convention centre, hotel, residential towers of all sizes up to 110 floors, 2-4 grocery stores, streets with no traffic on them and so on.

One idea that you could do with Target site is have an Canadian Tire on the lower level and Best Buy on the upper level.

After Target Failure, don't expect to see large retail stores (more than 1 floor) entering Canada anytime soon unless its is in only a few cities that can support them in the first place.

I agree completely.

This mall is a disturbingly poor use of what is the centre of a city of 800,000 people.

I also believe the parking should be underground and a bigger mall (perhaps similar to "The Well" and/or Westbank's "honest Ed's" project) plus condos and office space should be built here. Drum is right, the potential for this property is sky high yet all they are doing is expanding an average suburban shopping mall into a somewhat larger but haphazard shopping mall. There is no draw to this mall except it's location. Simon's may be a big name in Quebec but nobody I know has ever heard of them. And whats with Walmart and Holt Refrew in the same mall?? Talk about milking their cash cow.

Personally I think mixing a Walmart with a Holt Renfrew is a great idea. Why should people have to shop at one or the other exclusively? Are we going to start segregating people based on their incomes?

The question is, will the Holt Renfrew crowd come here.

A good chunk of the new south parking lot should be open in Aug as it is waiting paving and fixing the concrete deck by Hudson's Bay.

The old entrance is history which is odd as that was supposed to be the main road due to traffic lights being there as well a future connection road to Burnhamthorpe Rd. By the look, the new entrance will line up with the north-south road. This will mean either adding a 2nd set of lights so close together, or relocating the existing ones.

Too bad there was no site plans showing the road when I was looking at the drawings for the brick work taking place now. Dark Grey brick being install on the west side and slate tile on the lower section on the south side. Slate tile will go up along the window edge with brick between them. Give another 2 weeks to get the brick work up for Holt.

Most of the glazing is up for the new south entrance.

Not sure when I will have today photos on line.

Personally I think mixing a Walmart with a Holt Renfrew is a great idea. Why should people have to shop at one or the other exclusively? Are we going to start segregating people based on their incomes?

The question is, will the Holt Renfrew crowd come here.

Well, that was the point of my earlier comment. It's nice to mix the plaza into both low end and high end shopping, however the question is whether the higher end shopper will see a Walmart plaza as a place to shop.

Well, that was the point of my earlier comment. It's nice to mix the plaza into both low end and high end shopping, however the question is whether the higher end shopper will see a Walmart plaza as a place to shop.
They should since Walmart is at one end and Holt at the other

More of the high class store will be at the west end, than the east. The high class buyers will only go to where they want to but X and not pay attention to the other areas of the mall.

I wonder when they're gonna be completed working on this section. Maybe by Christmas?

I wonder when they're gonna be completed working on this section. Maybe by Christmas?

The exterior will be done in the fall since brick work is outstanding for the blank area.

Most of Holt West North end is brick with slate tiles on the south section almost done. Slate Tiles for the main entrance and brick for the rest.

The next section of the south parking lot should be open this month since they have pave it and should have the rest by Hudson's Bay done shortly.

The new east-west road in place and waiting paving by the Bay to connect the new road with the garage.

2 section of parking lot should be in service by the end of the month.

A new north-south road will connect to City Centre almost dead centre of 201 and line up with the existing N-S road. Not sure when the existing traffic lights will be remove since they are useless now with the new east entrance as well the new N-S connection.

Aug 9
They have open up the east side of Simons store as well repave all the north lots and Sq One Dr. Still have to build the south sidewalk at Simons.
20466364691_a8a3e0705e_b.jpg

20272010150_092bb4fecf_b.jpg

20272109978_62eab511d3_b.jpg

20272113648_a4ab06e037_b.jpg

20272117748_a3354c51d7_b.jpg

19837459294_a3d9490346_b.jpg

20466356411_a26c1e086d_b.jpg

Back