The 1851 market would have been a great retrofit if we had kept it:

View attachment 341752
(F. W. Micklethwaite/City of Toronto Archives via Wikipedia)

View attachment 341753
(John Ross Robertson/TPL via Wikipedia)

The 1904 replacement is basically like the south market - so it would have been great kept as is as well.

AoD
Boy oh boy Toronto, they have continued to make this mistake over and over. You are right it's sad this was not kept, would have been better than what is current. I just hope that this new building can bring everything together and make that area nice and exciting.

Boy oh boy Toronto, they have continued to make this mistake over and over. You are right it's sad this was not kept, would have been better than what is current. I just hope that this new building can bring everything together and make that area nice and exciting.

Well, the city was growing rapidly and these were meant to be utilitarian buildings - clearly the Victorians had no qualms about replacing them at their time, can't blame them for it.

The one thing this new market has over the previous is that it uses the site more intensely, and with a broader mix of uses.

AoD

Wasn’t there a roof over Front St at one time (pre-1968 building) linking the north and south markets?

Wasn’t there a roof over Front St at one time (pre-1968 building) linking the north and south markets?
Yes, and pretty dreary it looked too!

SLM 1231.jpg

They should put up a helix bridge between the two buildings like the one at Queen St.

It will interfere with the view along Front (especially with Gooderham building as the view terminus); nevermind negatively affecting the north facade of the market (which is from the 2nd city hall). We should have planned for an underground connection instead.

AoD

Yeah, I was joking. But there's no reason people can't go outside anyways. That's what the whole redesign of Market Lane and Market St are supposed to encourage.

They should put up a helix bridge between the two buildings like the one at Queen St.
Though it COULD look 'nice', I am not quite sure WHY you want a bridge as there is only the "kitchen' on upper floor of existing Market and only the seniors' centre on upper level of new one. Who would use it??

It will interfere with the view along Front (especially with Gooderham building as the view terminus); nevermind negatively affecting the north facade of the market (which is from the 2nd city hall). We should have planned for an underground connection instead.

AoD
Apparently, the reason there is no underground link is that there is a large sewer on Front but ......

Though it COULD look 'nice', I am not quite sure WHY you want a bridge as there is only the "kitchen' on upper floor of existing Market and only the seniors' centre on upper level of new one. Who would use it??
It was a joke. People should go outside!

Yeah, I was joking. But there's no reason people can't go outside anyways. That's what the whole redesign of Market Lane and Market St are supposed to encourage.

It would be nice if Front Street were made into a market square between Jarvis and Church. Then, you could just walk across some cobblestones between the two buildings without worrying about traffic. That would allow for large outdoor markets in front of the two buildings too (and west along Front Street).

Back