The original design would have been financially feasible if the city wasn't so insistent on including underground parking.

It certainly is an improvement over what we have and it looks fine but the Front & Market Street area is one of my favourite parts of town and one of the first areas I take friends to. The original design would have truly made that area pop and cemented itself as a destination for Toronto. Those high metal 'poles' in the front and the cladding along the sides would have been so unique for Toronto, yet fit in so well with this historical area.

There were stone heads/faces that stuck out of the wall in the restaurant patio there.
They (and part of the cast iron fence) were very carefully removed from the wall and are being saved. See photo a page or so back.

From the weekend. One last look.

IMG_1776.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG
    428.4 KB · Views: 893
From the weekend.

IMG_1921.JPG
IMG_1919.JPG
IMG_1920.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    420.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    595.6 KB · Views: 1,105
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    624.5 KB · Views: 1,110
I'm usually the first person to call out The Cheapening™ and lambast the developers for a bait-and-switch, but I have to admit that the original proposal was almost too bold for a farmer's market. It looked like it should host university science lectures, not vegetable stands from Elmira.

I'm usually the first person to call out The Cheapening™ and lambast the developers for a bait-and-switch, but I have to admit that the original proposal was almost too bold for a farmer's market. It looked like it should host university science lectures, not vegetable stands from Elmira.

The new building will be a 7 day a week operation with the farmers only occupying the ground floor on Saturdays.

Well, you will just have to ensure the products sold are heavily genetically engineered to fit the theme :D Those glass pods look perfect for hydroponics!

AoD

I thought this was the future home of the Antique Market and a farmers market once a week?

Farmers on Saturday and Antique on Sundays for the ground level. Traffic court in the offices above.

Back