Apparently the extension by-law for 125 Esplanade (the temporary tent market), was insufficient and this thing will drag well into 2024:

From the above:

1686592709672.png

Editorial: Did they switch this project to being overseen by the same people who handled the Wellington Streetscape?

How can this take another 11 months?

Apparently the extension by-law for 125 Esplanade (the temporary tent market), was insufficient and this thing will drag well into 2024:

From the above:

View attachment 484739

Editorial: Did they switch this project to being overseen by the same people who handled the Wellington Streetscape?

If we ask nicely, maybe they can push until 2026, at which point we'll be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the first post about this project in the forums here...

[…]
I'm willing to bet it's more about covering their asses. I don't think it'll take 11 more months, but they just want to make sure it's there, rather than potentially screw over the vendors. 11 months will cover all the way until next may, which roughly coincides with when local spring produce starts getting harvested, and when most of the seasonal markets start.

I am curious to know if after the tent is gone if the site will revert to parking or be used for something else. My hope is for the latter. After what, 9 years now (?!) without a lot there it's been quite well demonstrated that the an adjacent lot really isn't all that important.

I am curious to know if after the tent is gone if the site will revert to parking or be used for something else. My hope is for the latter. After what, 9 years now (?!) without a lot there it's been quite well demonstrated that the an adjacent lot really isn't all that important.

The original intent for the site was a park, for which a design was complete and budget allocated.

Subsequently, the decision was made to move the St. Lawrence Library here.........as part of upgrading and enlarging it to a District Class branch.

Thereafter the decision was taken to let CreateTO have at the site, with the mandate for the Library, but also housing.

A future report on all that will arrive at some point..........

But given CreateTO's track record for getting projects off the ground, I'd assume a couple of years of 'interim state' at least.

If it ends up being less, great! A surprise to the upside would be welcome.

What any interim state might be, I don't know.

The original intent for the site was a park, for which a design was complete and budget allocated.

Subsequently, the decision was made to move the St. Lawrence Library here.........as part of upgrading and enlarging it to a District Class branch.

Thereafter the decision was taken to let CreateTO have at the site, with the mandate for the Library, but also housing.

A future report on all that will arrive at some point..........

But given CreateTO's track record for getting projects off the ground, I'd assume a couple of years of 'interim state' at least.

If it ends up being less, great! A surprise to the upside would be welcome.

What any interim state might be, I don't know.
The Library are keen to move forward, soon and it's in their budget. If CreateTO is involved it would be to add affordable housing above the library.

Given that the roof is going to be landscaped and that these HVAC covers will be highly visible, I wonder if there wasn’t an opportunity to make them more playful- possibly even kinetic?

Last edited:

Back