Are you talking about the "wasps' nest" streetlights? I actually kind of love the look of those lights; the poles, however, are in desperate need of work.

Has anyone had a good look at the little structure that's been erected on top of the hoarding right at the corner of Bay/Adelaide? You can see it in the most recent photos, it's the wood-framed thing right behind the Lewis sign that's about 10 feet tall and braced from the sides by 2x4's. It looks like it's got some mechanical running into it, and I can't figure out if it's for a sign or a cladding test or something else. Just glanced at it as I was driving along Adelaide today and couldn't figure it out

Has anyone had a good look at the little structure that's been erected on top of the hoarding right at the corner of Bay/Adelaide? You can see it in the most recent photos, it's the wood-framed thing right behind the Lewis sign that's about 10 feet tall and braced from the sides by 2x4's. It looks like it's got some mechanical running into it, and I can't figure out if it's for a sign or a cladding test or something else. Just glanced at it as I was driving along Adelaide today and couldn't figure it out

I noticed it too last week on the way to New York and it looks like it may be some type of cladding. Maybe the lighting feature that will run along the corner of the building?

I have people over from Germany, and we went for a nice walk yesterday evening. They wanted to know why:
- the city was covered in hydro wires and old poles
- the pavement and sidewalks looked 3rd world (patching the sidewalks with asphalt)

I told them that they sounded like Torontonians.

Yes, I hear these comments from people visiting from out of town all the time. It really doesn't matter how many cool or tall buldings you can point out to them when all the crap in between is so decrepit and fugly. In the end everything just feels like:

8ac491a8e4fe36ee

Yes, I hear these comments from people visiting from out of town all the time. It really doesn't matter how many cool or tall buldings you can point out to them when all the crap in between is so decrepit and fugly.

Top top it all off, I took them to my hockey game at Moss Park.

I just counter with, "..well, we have much less national debt". However, it's not quite the zinger I intend it to be.

You could also use "our population is growing" and "our taxes aren't stifling our growth". But really, these aesthetic issues are quite basic and our bureaucracy seems to be decades behind the times. There's no excuse.

Maybe visitors should be taken to Bloor and Yonge - a global cross-roads, Bazis, pedestrian friendly, hip Yorkville, main transport inter-change, etc.

3859121267_c6fbd535c5_b.jpg

Where else can one just stretch out and relax in such a prime location.

I keep clicking on this thread thinking there will be new info or pics about the Trump building and every time I'm disappointed with nonsense about street poles, Germans and homeless people... surely that stuff can be saved for a different thread?

You're describing almost every thread on UT. If everyone stayed on topic the post count would probably be cut in half.

Not sure if there's a good solution though. I find that slightly offtopic posts add to the sense of community.

To go back on topic, that weird structure on top of the podium appears to have a curved glass face, so I take it it is some kind of a mockup, I just couldn't figure out what for as I drove past it again today

I completely agree. I'd rather if there were half the posts on UT, than to read posts that are completely off topic.
Yes I'm aware this post is off topic as well, but I'm just responding to what was brought up.

And Toronto Hydro is owned by the City of Toronto.:D

And you own them by your tax $$.

I still say that developers should put in their cost or come up with a plan with Toronto on burying those wires as well put up some better light poles.

Don't like the ones they have place along Fleet as well some of the area south of the tracks.

It would make the development more attracted and improve the street look.

Ask TTC about the problems getting poles removed on St Clair as well Fleet for the ROW and they will run away yelling. It been 3 years since Phase I was built on St Clair and there are still old poles and wires as well temporary ones up there.

A small portion of the east side of the floor for level 9 - restaurant/kitchens (10th floor) - is presently being poured.

Slow but steady progress is continually being made.

Back