Looks like you can see through to me. I wouldn't be surprised. The Grand on Jarvis has glass along the front (covering concrete) too. You can't see through it unless the sun hits it from a certain angle... but it IS possible to see through it at certain times of the day.

Trump's glass seems to have the exact same characteristics.

I figured I'd contribute a couple shots since all I have to do is stand up.

trumpdec19.jpg

trumpdec192.jpg

^The stone on Trump will probably look better than that pink stuff. But the building isn't bad at all; a version with better architectural details and stone cladding would look quite attractive.

I think that's actually a fair comparison. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump does end up looking a bit dated before it's even finished, given how old the design is.

And does anyone have a full timeline of this development, from the initial announcement of the Ritz-Carlton's old design (the reddish building with the dome), through to the sale to Trump, and the two (or three?) revisions to that design? I remember reading the original announcement in the Toronto Star when the Ritz Carlton got announced, but it feels like it must have been 6 or 7 years ago

Edit: Going through the Star's archives I have

August 2000: First mention of the Ritz-Carlton project
November 2000: Press conference talking about a 60 storey, 800ft tower. 188 condos, 483 hotel rooms, and seven floors of underground parking, topped with a titanium dome.
June 2001: Donald Trump is in town, as a partner in the Ritz Carlton project. Also, Zeidler's design is unveiled (so right now we're getting a modified version of an 8 year old design). A Star poll shows only 55% of readers like the Zeidler remake.
September 2001: Leib Waldman (the Ritz half of the equation) has legal problems and is extradited to the United States.
May 2002: Ritz pulls out.
February 2003: Council approves the 68 storey version

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up ^^^ :)

So only certain areas of the parking levels will have windows right?

I think this is some kind of a mock up for the upper floors. Why would they have opening windows in the garage ? The size and the anchoring also seem out of whack. :)

Dec 20 visit

IMG_dec-20-09-0074.jpg

I have no issue with this colour so far. Once more goes up, it maybe a different story. Nice to see something different.
IMG_dec-20-09-0077.jpg

IMG_dec-20-09-0079.jpg

Great shots everyone!

The colour of the glass does change depending on the lighting, etc...

I have my fingers crossed on this one!...

I WANNA SEE MORE CLADDING!!! lol

The size and the anchoring also seem out of whack. :)

of course the cladding doesnt line up with the openings in the garage levels. Thats the beauty of the glass facade is that it will hide all that messy looking stuff and give the appearance of regularly spaced floors....

Ever since Trump got above ground level its been near the top of my list for most interesting projects to keep an eye on. After getting a look at the cladding its #1, no contest. I'm almost giggly with anticipation. What a great splash of colour this is for the financial core...

Last edited:
Yeah... Trump (with all it's slanted floors) looks like a bunker that's been deformed by an earthquake or somethin... The floors look like shock waves have permanently twisted the floors!... lol

The glass hides all the yucky stuff!

Trump is a truly "EPIC" building in Toronto skyscraper history!... It's the first Trump Tower!... and truly a world class building!

Nice to see a residential structure and how it might/might not work out in the Financial District!!!

Trump Tower Toronto: EPIC history in the making!

I wonder if the faux "windows" that will cover the completely concrete sections of the parking levels (i.e. the Bay Street side: 3rd, 4th and 5th levels) will have decorative lighting behind them on special timers or always completely dark?

I know it would be a lot to ask for, but lighting these fake windows would add some natural life to the building at night and give it a more realistic appearance.

The lower floors facing Scotia Plaza would benefit greatly from lighting these windows. Otherwise I feel that looking west towards Trump from Yonge and Adelaide, will give a lifeless impression to the street wall.

IMG_dec-20-09-0079.jpg

(Courtesy drum118)

Back