Looking at Trump from the east, I don't think it's going to have much of an impact, especially with that blank east wall. From this angle, it should top out just above BAC.

trumpeast.jpg

Photo of the day right there ^^^^
holy crap is that an amazing shot! postcard worthy! i love the city from this angle. there's some great contrast between the greenery of the don valley. its really amazing! Trump ROCKS from this angle! Its gonna be the coolest tower in the CBD! it'll look pretty bold next to Scotia and FCP. the 3 biggest players in the financial district.

Its good and bad that BA2 will take out a big chunk of trump. its good because it'll cover the ugly (granite) lower section of trump and show off the glass at the top of the building.
a lot of people hate the "onion" at the top of the building, but i like it :D!, i'm hoping it'll look great from here alongside the spire!

trump still has a ways to go! This tower WILL make its mark on the skyline!

epic shot no doubt android :D!
*i just wet my pants.

Stop beating around the bush there Steveve.
Do you like it or don't you.

Looking at Trump from the east, I don't think it's going to have much of an impact, especially with that blank east wall. From this angle, it should top out just above BAC.

I was just there yesterday with the dog, that looks like it was taken from the footbridge over the Bayview extension/DVP that links Riverdale Park east & west. Never thought to take a snap of it, I should have though as Steveve says that's a terrific vantage point from the east.

A year from now I bet Shangri-La and the L tower will make a bigger impression from that vantage point.

Steveve,

No, the comment by Interchange 42 was not a "nice one" - I'm completely right about my question on the east wall - just because you love this building (or most of the time at least based on your numerous postings) doesn't mean that you can't dislike anything about the tower. And by the way, what makes you so sure that the lobby will turn out like that? It seems that my question about the lower-end of the east wall will remain unanswered (because it'll stay the way it's, which is very disappointing for any tower, let alone Trump).

It doesn't matter that from far away the lower-end of the east wall may not be visible, as there are many people who walk on Adelaide (especially when entering/exiting Scotia Plaza) and if they look up, they'll see the east wall - it would be one thing if this was the south wall but the east wall is a lot more visible.

Interchange 42, i know you're being diplomatic and that's understandable, but I'm not being rude in my question - it's a legitimate one and here's my beef: while I'm thorougly impressed with the number of developments happening in the downtown area (especially considering the economic climate), what I don't like are the supposedly minor things in many of the projects that are not well executed - this matters and I wish it was addressed at the time of construction by the city planning department or someone who could monitor projects to ensure they're building in a consistent and proper manner - examples range from the east end wall of the Trump to the unfinished mechanical box of Success I to the unevenly patterned ad panels in Toronto life-square to the random white panels on Crystal Blu (unless if that's temporary), etc.....not to mention the color schemes that I believe most would find unappealing - such as Crystal "Grey" and in my eyes, even the Cityplace Parade towers - yeah, the concept of two tall towers joined by a bridge is nice but the grey color scheme with the orange sides on the podium don't seem to create a strong and integrated presence...so this project, too, is compromised from my perspective. I'm sure most of you would agree......

CITY_LOVER,

It seems that my question about the lower-end of the east wall will remain unanswered (because it'll stay the way it's, which is very disappointing for any tower, let alone Trump).

the question was addressed to TrumpToronto. in time he'll reply back. and if someone knows the answer, i'm sure they'll be happy to post it.

And by the way, what makes you so sure that the lobby will turn out like that?

I didn't say i knew the parking/lobby levels were gonna be like that. I'll quote myself... i still don't know what the rest will look like, but i did say "if so" (the "what if" scenario)

Gotta love those ceiling heights! From what i can see, the actual FLOOR of the driveway(s) looks like they're marble or something fancy! thats crazy! i can't believe people will drive on that! Will this material be the same for all the parking levels???? if so, it would be the most awesome parking garage in the city that happens to be above ground, and indoors (completely inclosed) :D :D!!!!!

It doesn't matter that from far away the lower-end of the east wall may not be visible, as there are many people who walk on Adelaide (especially when entering/exiting Scotia Plaza) and if they look up, they'll see the east wall - it would be one thing if this was the south wall but the east wall is a lot more visible.

I don't think its fair to say that the way this building is seen from far away doesn't matter or that it is irrelevant compared to the view from street level. every view is equally as important.

And yes, i think its obvious i like this building, but it doesn't mean i don't think that there are bad things about trump. its just that they've been all addressed on this thread already, and i think its the good/new things should be regularly highlighted (not the bad things people already know about). people don't need to keep criticizing on the same negative things about this tower, what is done has been done. i try to be a positive person. :D

Going back on topic, i was doing a bit of math and if building construction continues at a 4 floor per month rate (which it should now that the complicated transition floors are essentially done), we should expect a floor top off in about 7-8 months (given the penthouse floors take longer). and then of course the mechanical + spire. :)

its just that they've been all addressed on this thread already, and i think its the good/new things should be regularly highlighted (not the bad things people already know about). people don't need to keep criticizing on the same negative things about this tower, what is done has been done. i try to be a positive person. :D

Right-on and well said steveve...:)

So we should censor ourselves if we feel we want to shed light on some of the (unacceptably) crappy qualities of this design?

So we should censor ourselves if we feel we want to shed light on some of the (unacceptably) crappy qualities of this design?

Steveve just said he was tired of the same old complaints, so if you can come up with whole new ones, I guess that would be ok.

:p

No not at all... but I think we're just trying to avoid this type of situation:

Person_A said:
I think the east wall of this building sucks
Person_B said:
yeah i agree it sucks
Person_C said:
hey has anyone noticed the east wall of this building sucks?
Person_D said:
I think the east wall of this building is somewhat unnattractive
Person_E said:
i like this building, but I think the east wall sucks

Interchange 42, i know you're being diplomatic and that's understandable, but I'm not being rude in my question - it's a legitimate one and here's my beef: while I'm thorougly impressed with the number of developments happening in the downtown area (especially considering the economic climate), what I don't like are the supposedly minor things in many of the projects that are not well executed - this matters and I wish it was addressed at the time of construction by the city planning department or someone who could monitor projects to ensure they're building in a consistent and proper manner - examples range from the east end wall of the Trump to the unfinished mechanical box of Success I to the unevenly patterned ad panels in Toronto life-square to the random white panels on Crystal Blu (unless if that's temporary), etc.....not to mention the color schemes that I believe most would find unappealing - such as Crystal "Grey" and in my eyes, even the Cityplace Parade towers - yeah, the concept of two tall towers joined by a bridge is nice but the grey color scheme with the orange sides on the podium don't seem to create a strong and integrated presence...so this project, too, is compromised from my perspective. I'm sure most of you would agree......

CityLover, I agree with some of your concerns above, but I'll restrict my attention to the Trump Tower, the topic of this thread.

While you are not the only person that finds the east wall unattractive, it is a subjective opinion. While my earlier comment to you was put cheekily, the intent was sincere. I merely maintain that a better way to have your questions answered is to pose them in a way where you are only trying to get at the facts on why the east wall is windowless in spots. Remember that TrumpToronto does not owe you an answer, but may answer you if he/she is favourably disposed to. Why start out in an antagonizing way?

No architect or developer makes decisions like these without thinking them out thoroughly. I am not saying that everyone has to like the outcome, but when buildings have aspects that are out of the ordinary, one must suppose that there are explanations for it all. Here I'm curious about two things: 1) what are the floor plans for the levels that demanded windowless walls, and 2) why choose the stone over faked windows? No judgement call intended on my part in that regard: putting fake windows in may have been more attractive option, but the honesty of this option is more interesting for me. The rarity of gestures such as this on Toronto high-rises becomes a chance for a lesson and discussion in this case.

I'm looking forward to more insight on all of this.

Back