What?

This has everything to do with location. Shangri-La, Ritz,Four Seasons will all disagree with your statement.

The Location is bad, however Trump will still get build, even if its 57.

Why not just turn the remaining residential units into hotel units? Keeping the height of the building in tact.

Re: TrumpToronto

There's plenty of money in Toronto, and lots of foreign investment. I'm of the opinion that it's in small part that the Trump brand doesn't work here as well as other places, the project has been troubled for years, it's not the most pleasing architecture (although I admit I don't hate the building rendering as some others do) but most importantly the location. I always thought the location was poor given obstructed views and it's not a very exciting area after 7pm.

Donald Trump clearly overestimated the size of Toronto's high-end real estate industry (and Canada's for that matter). There just aren't as many rich people in Canada to pick up these units, compared to most comparably-sized U.S. cities. He clearly didn't do his research, and blindly assumed that Toronto was just another U.S. city, when there is definitely a difference in income distribution here.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, at least we have less extremely poor people.

Donald Trump didn't overestimate anything really...he just let some developers use his name on their project.

I'd say the high end market here is actually pretty good...they just miscalculated how much the Trump brand would do for them.

The apartments in Yorkville are selling at twice the price of trump yet they all sold out. I believe starting prices for condo's in yorkville was 2 million plus for Hazelton.

If trump had built in Hazelton/Yorkville, King West, his result might have been different.

Thank god there are still plenty of high end Hotels that have not yet entered the Toronto Market. So there is hope for future talls down the line.

However, this one still hurts.

I would agree with SD. Indeed I would wager that only San Francisco has more wealth and investment than TO for a comparable sized north american city. And lets not forget that their are several other large high end luxury hotels going up here as well- the Ritz, Four Seasons, and ShangriLa- all large towers.

I also don't see cutting off 13 floors to be a massive scaling back of the project, it will still be 800-900 foot tower for goodness sake. I only wish they had redesigned it.

The feeling in the real estate community was that location killed this project. As well, I heard rumours from other developers that thought that they would have to chop stories off this sucker to get it built (and I believed I passed those said rumours on to this board some time ago).

It is a shame but I bet that if they used better Toronto real estate people (and marketing), like re Baker, that they could have sold this sucker at its full height. They seemed to turn off not just members of this board but the real estate community in general, for whatever reason.

I'll throw my hat in the ring with those who have been saying that it's the Trump brand itself that has not done this project any favours. This is the tower for those whose money has not improved their taste, and we seem to have less of those people here than in the US. I keep wondering if the building had a more impressive design, if that would have lured more buyers - the currents plans volumes and setbacks seem very weak to me.

Still, I am glad there are residents and hotel guests soon to be added to this corner downtown.

Oh well, 57 stories, you ain't gonna see my crying boo-hoo.

I think this is my first post in this topic. Generally I agree with what has already been said - 57 storeys in nothing to sneaze at but I'd prefer if this tower were not at this location. This corner is squeezed right in the middle of the city's tallest of the talls and I'd fear even 57 stories will be lost in the cluster. The part I liked most about the original tower was how it peaked out the top of the skyline and added a new signature spire.

Wasn't this design initially 60 storeys anyways? If so we're just getting what we were originally expecting. The height increase was done pretty well into the process.

Trump

I believe the very original Ritz proposal back in 2000 or 2001 on this site was for 56 floors. Then it was 65 and Ritz bailed and the new Trump proposal was 68 - which council approved. The OMB approved the increase to 70.

Wouldn't it make more sense to maybe get rid of some of those extra costs for stuff that really is not that needed. I mean look for cost savings and emiminate some of those perks which the tower could still be luxurious without. Ritz is building a 53 flooor luxurious tower at no where near as high a cost. Im sure something is maybe a little on the overkill and not needed. This way they can begin construction and hopefully get more sales duing the construction process. Cutting 13 floors off the project is just a simple thoughtless move that makes the design looked squished and inappropriate given its design.

I agree that the Trump brand may have hurt.

That's an interesting point, CSW, though I think that most of the high cost likely comes from the very large building on a very small site. I'd be a bit worried if I bought in this building, since the frills will now have to be spread among the condo fees of 13 floors fewer units.

Back