From Yesterday, by me:

008iis.jpg

009hb.jpg

And last night, also by me:

098xj.jpg

100raf.jpg

I think it's safe to say that this is the worst project in the history of Toronto.

We'll forget about this by 2012. Things can only get better from rock bottom.

I would agree that this is the worst project in the city, in terms of aesthetics. However, this is still definitely one of my favourite projects of the year. Along with Shangri-La, Ice, Southcore Financial, etc. this will have a very large impact on Toronto's skyline (I'm not referring to the generic waterfront shot either).

It ain't Trump Chicago that's for sure! but compared to other Trump buildings i have seen TT isn't that bad!

It ain't Trump Chicago that's for sure! but compared to other Trump buildings i have seen TT isn't that bad!

I just want to second this point ... there are some incredibly ugly trump building out there.

Also, it's just me, but I'm not a fan of trump Chicago - not at all. The glass is great and some of details as well but I absolutely hate the massing - it's just way too bulky for me - and it doesn't do anything for the surrounding buildings - not due to the glass but the sheer mass the design. That's just me though so I can see why many would like it - compared to this particularly.

All,

I sent a private message to TrumpToronto (who is on the forum here) to find out if the lower end of the east wall was ever going to be 'fixed'/'cleaned-up' or will it be left like that (because that is likely in Toronto's situation) but he hasn't replied back (unsurprisingly) and even when the question was attempted openly here on this thread, he ignored it, so i decided to email trumptorontohotel directly to get an idea on what is happening, and they got back to me (see below). Of course, there is no real answer but at least my inquiry was acknowledged, which is saying a lot!

My email:
I've sent an email in the past inquiring about the final treatment of the lower-end of the east wall of Trump tower in Toronto but haven't heard back; is it going to stay the way it's or will it be 'cleaned-up'? Currently, there are unevenly spaced and patterned windows and ventilation ducts and it looks quite unattractive. People who are interested in this project (and I know some of them) are seriously concerned about it. Further, the glass panels that are currently being added throughout the building also show signs of mismatch (in that they're actually different shades of green). Whoever is the manufacturer of glass needs a visit from you guys to confirm what is going on. I hope to hear back from Trump on how it plans to address these concerns. Thanks.

TrumpToronto's admin assistant's response:
Thank you very much for your email and we appreciate your feedback.
Further to your email, I have forward your concern to our construction team for evaluation.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday and thank you again for your interest in Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto. I look forward to welcoming you to our property in the near future!
Best regards,
Lisa

Heyyy I happen to like that building, it adds some much needed color to the skyline.
*note - I'm NOT referring to Trump, but rather the red building in from of it in the photo above.

Last edited:
Heyyy I happen to like that building, it adds some much needed color to the skyline.

I've been waiting to contribute my two cents as a first post. I don't understand why so many people don't like this building. It's great! It's colourful, wonderful setbacks, textures, curves, definitely not your run of the mill box. To all you Trump haters, in the spirit of the season " Bah, Humbug" To everyone else "Merry Christmas"!

I've been waiting to contribute my two cents as a first post. I don't understand why so many people don't like this building. It's great! It's colourful, wonderful setbacks, textures, curves, definitely not your run of the mill box. To all you Trump haters, in the spirit of the season " Bah, Humbug" To everyone else "Merry Christmas"!

I will say that most, myself included, appreciate Trump as a neat piece of construction; given its intricate details and small footprint, it is quite an impressive feat.

Architecturally however, it leaves much to be desired. Urban Shocker put it best a few months ago by describing Trump as a "jumbled mess." Think of trying to jam different puzzle pieces together that simply don't fit. A more unified design, without the shoddy elements (East side cladding, 1/4 onion spire, pre-cast cladding etc.) would have made for a far more appealing landmark.

Regardless, this will be a prominent piece of Toronto's skyline, and as such, will assimilate into the landscape in due course.

Regardless of the jumbled mess, which it seems to have right now. Remember this buildings defining element is it's extremely elegant lines. We won't really see this until it's topped out, and can admire it's sleek design in context.

It's gonna be tall and slim, and I think that above all else is what makes a tower.

it may be what may be what makes a tower....but i don't think it makes a good tower, you could have a super skinny really tall tower that is still hated because all the other elements on the building are horrible. that being said i wasn't reffering to trump, which i love! i like the massing and even the east side. the mismatched cladding is annoying but hopefully that will be switched

Architecturally however, it leaves much to be desired. Urban Shocker put it best a few months ago by describing Trump as a "jumbled mess." Think of trying to jam different puzzle pieces together that simply don't fit. A more unified design, without the shoddy elements (East side cladding, 1/4 onion spire, pre-cast cladding etc.) would have made for a far more appealing landmark.

I wouldn't call the quarter onion shoddy just yet. You might consider it to be a poor design choice, but you can't just say that it will be poorly constructed until it is actually built. Also, that's not precast cladding, it's granite.

Anyway, I agree that this tower is a jumbled mess. I have a much easier time appreciating its form and massing by viewing it from a distance or without focusing my eyes on any particular portion of the building... much like Uptown.

Back