The dimensions of this tower are the stand out feature. gotta admire the height/scale of the project. Nothing quite like it in the city so far. (squeezing such a tall tower in such a small lot in the financial district).
For me the granite on the east wall is the worst part.

The dimensions of this tower are the stand out feature. gotta admire the height/scale of the project. Nothing quite like it in the city so far. (squeezing such a tall tower in such a small lot in the financial district).
For me the granite on the east wall is the worst part.

My thoughts exactly.

2 random videos from december 23

[video=youtube;ykz3mQlG8Xg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykz3mQlG8Xg[/video]

[video=youtube;R2RhncRYdHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2RhncRYdHQ[/video]

Trump Tower from this morning

sany0597.jpg

The upper half of the eastern side is destined for greatness. All the different layers it has are gonna look great with the glass. shame the lower half though :(

^ Adelaide? It's a prominent street but I wouldn't call it great. Now Bay St... that's a different story. It's North terminus is picture perfect with the Old City Hall tower.

^ Adelaide? It's a prominent street but I wouldn't call it great. Now Bay St... that's a different story. It's North terminus is picture perfect with the Old City Hall tower.

I agree, Adelaide may not be among that most exclusive group of Toronto streets, but it's definitely prominent and has a lot of history too, along with a beautiful western view terminus.

I agree, Adelaide may not be among that most exclusive group of Toronto streets, but it's definitely prominent and has a lot of history too, along with a beautiful western view terminus.

I was about to make the same point - they got it so right with the church, which benefits from the visual release bestowed by the sky on either side of it. HP's Vu condo just looks like a wall blocking the vista. The campanile of Old City Hall, at the head of Bay, also benefits from the visual release of seeing sky on either side.

I was about to make the same point - they got it so right with the church, which benefits from the visual release bestowed by the sky on either side of it. HP's Vu condo just looks like a wall blocking the vista. The campanile of Old City Hall, at the head of Bay, also benefits from the visual release of seeing sky on either side.

That's a good point, that the sky on either side helps to make a good view terminus. It seems obvious, but alas, many in the architecture and planning communities don't seem to be too familiar anymore with what makes a striking view terminus and the aesthetic appeal. Yet it's a strategy that can make for striking cityscapes. Even at the most local level, in a low-rise residential neighbourhood, a house can be aligned with a laneway to terminate the view nicely. Some setbacks perhaps could have helped to make the 'Vu' more distinctive and allow for the sky to be seen on either side of it, making the urban landscape more scenic.

Also, is there a more common term for "view terminus"? It doesn't get that many Google results (about 4,000). A building's role as a view terminus can be phrased as "at the head of _____ Street", but I am curious if there's another term for it.

Back