Trump has been elected POTUS.

One of the tallest buildings in our fair city should be renamed as not to be named after an incoming POTUS, especially one with an extremely loose tongue.

One of the tallest buildings in our fair city should be renamed as not to be named after an incoming POTUS, especially one with an extremely loose tongue.

And the Hilton should have been renamed after any number of Paris Hilton stunts?

Trump has been elected POTUS.

You will probably want to rename anything associated with Diefenbaker, John A. MacDonald, Mackenzie King, etc. as well as they all had even looser tongues and more fiery tempers. Even the beloved Pierre Trudeau was known for his angry outbursts.

You will probably want to rename anything associated with Diefenbaker, John A. MacDonald, Mackenzie King, etc. as well as they all had even looser tongues and more fiery tempers. Even the beloved Pierre Trudeau was known for his angry outbursts.

Again, not sure that comparison makes any sense. Do you honestly think the issue people have with Trump is "angry outbursts" or "fiery temper"? I always assumed it was (what a column in the Globe this morning called) the toxic nonsense he's been spewing for 2+ years now, quite independent of his tone.

And how do the past statements of three dead PMs who were in office decades ago (one of whom was in office not this century, nor last century, but the century before that) invalidate Johnny's opinion about the ramifications of what Trump has been saying and doing today?

Again, not sure that comparison makes any sense. Do you honestly think the issue people have with Trump is "angry outbursts" or "fiery temper"? I always assumed it was (what a column in the Globe this morning called) the toxic nonsense he's been spewing for 2+ years now, quite independent of his tone.

And how do the past statements of three dead PMs who were in office decades ago (one of whom was in office not this century, nor last century, but the century before that) invalidate Johnny's opinion about the ramifications of what Trump has been saying and doing today?

He said "loose tongue" specifically so I addressed that criticism only.

He obviously was referring to Trump's unrestrained toxic statements ("free of speech; given to unrestrained talk" being one definition of loose-tongued), not his propensity to reveal secrets (which is the other usual meaning of loose tongue). Hard to stretch his comment to mean that we shouldn't name stuff after people who get angry.

Last edited:
Do you need a safe space? LOL

BREXIT, Trump, maybe Front National next.... nationalism is the future. It's Trudeau who is out of place.

Completely agree. If people are triggered by simply seeing the word 'TRUMP' on a building, they need to rethink their priorities.

Sigh.

Who said people were "triggered" (whatever that means)?

Whether one agrees with it or not, there are people who believe that having a tall building in our Financial District named after a man with notoriously predatory business practices, whose statements have been by any objective measure racist and ignorant, whose attitudes and behaviour towards women are at best incredibly sexist, who brags about sexual assault and then dismisses it as locker room talk, and who lies without compulsion, is inappropriate. That is a fair opinion to have. And it is not an unusual one.

Personally, I've always though the Trump branding was gaudy and cheesy, but to each his/her own. I believe it's a business and legal issue, and will get resolved (in this case in the courts). But I am always happy to see people take a stand against racism and misogyny, and think that people who care about such issues have pretty damn sound priorities.

I've not seen anyone on these threads advocate that the state somehow force the removal of the name, but maybe I missed that.

And this equating of the antics and vapidity of Paris Hilton with the statements and actions of Donald Trump, as if they are somehow comparable, is baffling and a bit troubling. Moreover, unlike Trump, Paris Hilton does not own or run Hilton Hotels, nor is she in line to inherit the company (the company was sold by her grandfather, and he pledged almost the entirety of the proceeds to charity, while Trump was using his foundation as petty cash - another reason why the Hilton name on one building is not in any conceivable way comparable to the Trump name on the building down the street).

He obviously was referring to Trump's unrestrained toxic statements ("free of speech; given to unrestrained talk" being one definition of loose-tongued), not his propensity to reveal secrets (which is the other usual meaning of loose tongue). Hard to stretch his comment to mean that we shouldn't name stuff after people who get angry.
That is exactly what I meant by loose-tongued in this context.

Back