I actually do think this makes that ridiculous quarter onion dome and mast look better.

I can't believe I'm saying that.

I don't care about this being a cheater tower. Big frickkety frick deal.

It still looks good, perhaps even better. The onion spire gets bonus points for being more corporate than previously.

edit - I agree with interchange...the onion was kind of pointless before, but now it's appropriately cheesy.

Never thought I'd be wishing for a box.

Fortunately, it's nice and central, so the view from the skyline will be more or less blocked by future towers.

That's only what it looks "more like", not the actual new render. That is actually an old render.
We still need a photo of the new render on the site. I'm sure we'll have one.

Who is being cheated? And out of what?

This example is not that big a deal, but look at how Petronas was declared the "World's Tallest Building", despite being clearly shorter than Sears. The reason was that its spire counted towards its height, while the antenna atop Sears did not. For another example, look at FCP (whose antenna does not count towards its official height) versus the Emirates Hotel Tower in Dubai (whose spire does count):

Comparison.jpg

Bill

The rendering on site looked worse to me. It was like someone stepped on it and it only sprung back part of the way up all mangled.

Anyway, the tent was up and there were workers around the site prepping things for the big disappointment tomorrow.

What pratical use could they possibly get out of a 5 storey dome?

I understand it is to gain height but it will be a part of the penthouse and used for something. I am just not sure for what.

I turned down my invitation to rub shoulders with Trump so I am counting on all you photogs to capture the moment. A close up of Ivanka would be nice by the way. Any complaints about her hair?

^ I have no idea what function a multi-storey add on is for... world's biggest elevator?

But I'm not yanking your chain.. the render looks like this for some reason. Perhaps it's nothing more than a soon-to-be-fired newbie artist.

But that's what it looks like.

As for your invitation, send it to me at the Pantages front desk and I'll smooze, shoot (digital camera), and post. SPECIAL NOTE: they obviously plan to use a Donald impersonator at the festivities because there are closed tents for the reception... if you don't arm a UT member with your invite, there will be minimal sightings.

P.S. the dome (nee quarter dome) is not 5 storeys... the pedestal it sits on is 5 storeys (ok, maybe 4)... from the rendering on site... the total mileage from roof slab (below the mechanical penthouse which sports the "hair" logo X 2) to the beginning of the flagpole... is roughly 7/8 storeys (Onion dome is 3/4 storeys).

Back