Solaris

Member Bio
Reaction score
food for though ...

U.S. mortgage, housing woes could come here, Merrill Lynch says
Sep 24, 2008 11:58 AM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

a904d58f4bd2b8a5829b05fcb669.jpeg

Merrill Lynch is warning that Canada could be headed for a housing and mortgage meltdown similar to the one that has devasted the United States economy.

A report issued Wednesday by Merrill Lynch Canada economists says many Canadian households are more financially overextended than their counterparts in the United States or Britain.

They say it's only a matter of time before the "tipping point" is reached and the housing and credit markets crack in Canada.

The Merrill Lynch Canada report by economists David Wolf and Carolyn Kwan acknowledges that the analysis is more pessimistic than the prevailing view.

Many economists have been saying that Canada's housing and banking sectors are much more stable than their American counterparts and will likely slow down but not crash.

But Merrill Lynch – whose U.S. parent is one of the biggest victims of a crisis in financial markets that is rooted in the American housing and mortgage meltdown – says Canadians should be wary.

Household net borrowing in Canada amounted to 6.3 per cent of disposable income in 2007 – meaning they're carrying more debt than households in the United Kingdom and not far off the peak U.S. shortfall in 2005 – just before the subprime mortgage crisis erupted.

"These data imply that the Canadian household sector is now overextending itself as much as the U.S. or U.K. ever did, challenging the consensus view that Canadian lenders and borrowers have been far more conservative through the cycle," the Merrill report says.

It also says housing prices are now falling and inventories of unsold homes are rising sharply in Canada suggesting that this market turnaround will not be a transitory phenomenon.

However, the prevailing view is that Canada's lenders have issued few of the type of subprime mortgages that sparked the U.S. crisis, which is continuing to ripple through the financial system.

In addition, many observers argue that Canadian residential properties are, by and large, not overvalued – considering the strength of regional economies in resource-rich provinces.

If interest rates go up, many people will be screwed over. The only way many ppl can afford these prices is due to the artificially low rates

I wonder if they're referring to Vancouver. From MLS release, some property has gone up from a year ago. Only a few areas have dropped drastically like Bridle path and Forest Hills. Pickering prices were up by a lot over the past year.

There's no way Merrill Lynch could be wrong. I mean they were the ones to have the foresight to loose $51.8 billion in the mortgage crisis and be bought out by the Bank of America.

Good one! But, alas, Canada will not be immune from the world's problems. Fortunately, not a severe downturn as experienced by other countries, in my opinion. Again, those who got into bidding wars, those who were seduced into buying in so-called 'up-and-coming' areas...well, just think 'Long-Term'.

And, I really would avoid buying pre-construction into those outrageously-priced new downtown condominium projects currently being marketed. Buy re-sale, and save yourself the grief!

How many times do we have to read about this impending crisis? I remember reading articles about this before I (wisely) bought my current condo. Fortunately since then I have made a very healthy appreciation.

Do your own research people, and ignore what these supposed experts write. Newspapers get readers by publishing sensationalist articles, not accurate ones.

A slightly different story here

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/story.html?id=0e498b5b-77bf-41dc-a061-fe6e08f9f61f

Last week's Merrill Lynch report on the Canadian housing market predicted that while the national market is headed for a plateau, the western provinces are at risk for outright decline. The report also stated that homes in both Regina and Saskatoon were overvalued by almost 50 per cent. However, industry leaders in the province see the opposite as being true.

So...first ML says the national market will plateau, now they're saying the market will crash? It's only been a month difference and such a drastic conclusion?

How many times do we have to read about this impending crisis? I remember reading articles about this before I (wisely) bought my current condo. Fortunately since then I have made a very healthy appreciation.

As I recall Gei from previous posting your holding on to your condo and not leveraging nor flipping and mocking me for asking about real estate shorts as a hedging strategy. So the question begs, what do you mean by made a healthy appreciation when you haven't pulled the trigger on the sell side ?? You've made nothing until you press the sell button. But if you did sell since the last time I posted, congrats on your REAL profits.

Something is happening...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/09/26/toronto-sales.html

Toronto new home sales off nearly 40% in August

Last Updated: Friday, September 26, 2008 | 6:22 PM ET Comments1Recommend16
CBC News
Sales of new homes plunged 39.6 per cent in August in the Toronto area, compared with a year earlier, the Building Industry & Land Development Association said Friday.

Low-rise sales in Toronto and the surrounding Durham, Halton, Peel and York regions fell 53.1 per cent to 709 from 1,511, while highrise sales were down 25.3 per cent to 1,067 from 1,428, the group said in a release.

In addition, year-to-date sales were off 29 per cent from the first eight months of 2007.

But while sales volumes were down, prices increased. In the first eight months of the year, new home prices were up 5.9 per cent and highrise condominium prices jumped 17.9 per cent.

Association president Michael Moldenhauer said that although the volume numbers were way down, the 22,043 new homes and condos sold in the first eight months of 2008 still represent a healthy market.

He noted that the drop in 2008 sales is measured against a record-breaking 2007, when 30,900 homes were sold.

The new home price index produced by RealNet Canada Inc. shows single detached houses, semi-detached and townhomes were up $24,389 since August 2007, while the highrise price index jumped $58,833.

Highrise sales accounted for more than half of all sales.

This is what's happening:

He noted that the drop in 2008 sales is measured against a record-breaking 2007, when 30,900 homes were sold.

i cringe when i hear the realtors/spinmasters explain that sales are off due to the record-breaking year of 2007. The supply level right now is more than what we had in 2007!!!!!, combine that with 40% lowered demand is a recipe for a disaster in the making. The ideal graph should show a slight upward plataeu b/w Sales (X axis) and Volume (Y axis), as volume goes up, # of sales also slightly go up in a heathy market. What we're seeing here is not heathy and i don't think this is going to be a pretty picture a year from now.

Back