News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^Rubbish pizza. I swear they stole the concept from Montreal, where 99 cent pizza rules, and rules in appalling taste. Sometimes feeling hungry yet poor, I'd buy one of these cheap slices of pizza. More often than not, the garbage would gladly accept my cheap pizza before my belly would. :p

Vancouver has several $1 pizza places as well--horrible, frozen dough, stale (often stolen) cheese, tinned pizza sauce, cheap ingredients.

Yeah, those $0.99 pizza places suck, all over North America. I used to eat those in Montreal, but that's just because I was a poor student.

I like those $3.99 per slice gourmet pizza places though.

Yeah, those $0.99 pizza places suck, all over North America. I used to eat those in Montreal, but that's just because I was a poor student.

I like those $3.99 per slice gourmet pizza places though.

Cheap pizza can be good or bad. It depends how fresh it is, and your state of intoxication.
But the point is in Toronto bad slices all sell for more than double what they do elsewhere.
Isn't it $3 for a pepperoni slice at Pizza Pizza?

Maybe the last gasp for classic ultra-cheapo was the joint in the Union Station concourse--but unfortunately, the price shot up and you have to get a pop to get *any* semblance of true cheap there.

Then there's *ahem* Cora Pizza...

Cheap pizza can be good or bad. It depends how fresh it is, and your state of intoxication.
But the point is in Toronto bad slices all sell for more than double what they do elsewhere.
Isn't it $3 for a pepperoni slice at Pizza Pizza?
The last time I went to a downtown by-the-slice pizza joint it was $3 for two slices. Can't remember which chain it was though.

Personally I prefer going to Terroni though. :) That is truly awesome pizza, if you have need for an entire pizza that is.

Toronto street food is a joke. I spent a few weeks in Philadelphia recently, Philly knows how to do street food! very much like NYC. Most of my breakfasts and lunches came from the street vendors, the food was great, and far better quality than places like Tim Hortons or McDonald's. and best of all cheap! There is all kinds of varieties of food vendors to choose from such as fruit vendors , hot dog/burger vendors, Italian food vendors, greek food vendors, asian food vendors, even Jamaican food! my friend being a vegetarian loved the vegetarian vendors through out the downtown, every street corner in Philly has a vendor. I would love to see something like this in Toronto one day.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yep, it's nice - not great ... and at the end of the day it was a lot worse then restaurants ... buy hey ..

You got to wonder though, this must detract from restaurants to certain degree ... maybe we really don't want these to flourish here.

The Star: Putting the cart before the food

The ethnic food program — offering everything from bulgogi to souvlaki — is in a shambles.

So, how did a well-intentioned effort to reflect the diversity of Toronto through street food go so sour?

The answers, critics say, can be found at city hall and reflect political mismanagement and bureaucratic red tape.

An independent review of à la Cart is beginning, Roos said. A report should go to the new economic development committee in January.

Filion says some vendors — he won’t say who — “made some really bad business decisions.” While no longer involved in à la Cart, he says failing vendors “need to formally drop out, rather than stay in the process and not pay their fees, and we need to fill their spots as soon as possible.

“I don’t think anyone is going to compensate them for their losses, but, going forward for a third year, we need to add some members and give the program some oomph.”

As her lineup dwindles, Pinder scoffs at the idea others will join, much less prosper.

“You can’t have eight vendors and seven of them fail and it all be their fault,” she says.

“This program, unintentionally or not, was designed to fail.”

---

I like that bit about the independent review. It'd probably be accurate to just to have one line that states "It's because the City is made up of a bunch of @#$%@ bureaucratic morons".

Last edited:
The carts are a great opportunity for some right-winger to champion standing up for the small entrepreneur and preach deregulation to help business prosper.

The carts are a great opportunity for some right-winger to champion standing up for the small entrepreneur and preach deregulation to help business prosper.
I'm surprised Ford hasn't jumped on this yet. (Or has he?)

Ironically though, this should face the ire of both right wingers and left wingers. To overgeneralize... The right wingers will criticize the program's harsh overreaching rules and anti-business stance. The left wingers will criticize the punitive fees on hardworking immigrants who are just trying to bring a bit of their culture to the masses of Toronto.

Any left winger -- that isn't a moronic bureaucrat -- should be livid.

The required food cart even looks expensive.

c442a66d45839e90996b5ba2fa0b.jpeg

20090519streetfood1.jpg

Back