At the north end of the Longo's there are some individual shops/fast food outlets that are divided off on the own. It would connect to somewhere there. I'm not sure if they can do it by just closing one of those, or maybe it'll be just to the north of all of them.

I was in MLS during construction, and I'm almost positive the knockout panel is directly underneath where the escalator connects to the main floor. I think Longo's has the frozen food section along that wall right now. The connection needs to be somewhere that would be accessible if/when Longo's is closed for the day, and they could easily accomplish that if the knockout is where I think it is.

I'm not so sure how easily that would be accomplished if Longo's is closed. They'd have to completely redesign that part of the store to accommodate a through passage. Both sides below the escalator now are thoroughly stocked with items all 'round.

If you look at the path master plan the connection appears to be going on the lakeshore / york corner of MLS.... but this I believe shows the knockout panel being built (first pic beside the yellow crane). A case could be made for either side - that far corner of Longo's is really no mans land, not much there. The other side is where the small shops area and the way everything was built would allow people to use the escalators without truly entering Longos.

Today:

yQuBYfG.jpg

If you look at the path master plan the connection appears to be going on the lakeshore / york corner of MLS.... but this I believe shows the knockout panel being built (first pic beside the yellow crane). A case could be made for either side - that far corner of Longo's is really no mans land, not much there. The other side is where the small shops area and the way everything was built would allow people to use the escalators without truly entering Longos.

The only thing that makes sense (and what I've heard mentioned by the staff there) is that the PATH connection would go through the area just south of the Starbucks/Corks area but north of the bakery (still in the northwest corner of the store). The only problem with that, is it would line up more with the 16 York site, than it would ICE. However, if they went that route, it's possible they could add in dividers for when they're closed, allowing the path to connect through the fire/entrance stairwell and elevators that go from P2 through 2 (the west elevators) — these are the same elevators and stairs they direct customers to when they close the escalators at the end of the night.

Otherwise, isn't the PATH network allowed to have closures in some sections at times (HBC comes to mind, or is that a special exception)? If so, Longo's hours of 7am-11pm every day of the week (except holidays) might allow them to get around making special affordances.

Looking at the most recent PATH map on the city's website, actually makes it look like the connection will in fact be through 16 York (AKA York Centre?).
It would also line up with the late 2015 date, since isn't that closer to 16 York's timeframe?

Anyway, this is somewhat OT for Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences, so I'll leave it there.

Does anybody know how the prices compare between leasing new office space in the South Core vs new space in the Financial District?

RE: Green Roof - it's a patch of grass. Seems like a lost opportunity to turn all that space into something usable for office tenants. Would have made a nice place to have picnic tables or BBQ's or whatever. From that angle, RBC looks terribly sterile and very 905.

RE: Green Roof - it's a patch of grass. Seems like a lost opportunity to turn all that space into something usable for office tenants. Would have made a nice place to have picnic tables or BBQ's or whatever. From that angle, RBC looks terribly sterile and very 905.

RBC looks like that from every angle, though.

I wonder if allowing access to green-roof areas to anyone other than maintenance staff would increase costs more than the client was willing, given the bargain-basement nature of the building.

At any rate, there'll be a new park right outside once the circular off-ramp comes down. I'd rather employees go out and use that on their lunch break, from a street-vibrancy/public-life perspective.

Back