My sources tell me that that the intended Target space is going to be an Apple Store.

Joking

This is one of the most expensive location not just in Toronto but in Canada..I was disappointed when I heard that Target will fill the retail space and I was super happy when I heard they are pulling out.

A prime location like One York shouldn't be occupied with a brand like Costco or Walmart

In my point of view, I would recommend Simons and a couple of high end quality restaurants.

I have to say as someone who actually lives in the area, I really DO hope it is a discount store like (preferably) Costco, or Walmart. The downtown core has plenty of high-end retail, but other than the crowded Crappy Tire there's not much competition when it comes to discount department store stuff.

This isn't a big-box vs. small retail argument... I prefer small retail 90% of the time! But, for that other 10% I think there is a place for a discount option (and by necessity they need to be big)... because as someone already mentioned: living down here ain't cheap! Sometimes I'd prefer to save my money by not being forced to buy Calvin Klein underwear at the Bay, Nordstroms et al...

The trick will be to make sure they don't have awful signage - as I agree it is a gateway to the city.

p.s. Would also accept an Ikea.

I have to say as someone who actually lives in the area, I really DO hope it is a discount store like (preferably) Costco, or Walmart. The downtown core has plenty of high-end retail, but other than the crowded Crappy Tire there's not much competition when it comes to discount department store stuff.

This isn't a big-box vs. small retail argument... I prefer small retail 90% of the time! But, for that other 10% I think there is a place for a discount option (and by necessity they need to be big)... because as someone already mentioned: living down here ain't cheap! Sometimes I'd prefer to save my money by not being forced to buy Calvin Klein underwear at the Bay, Nordstroms et al...

The trick will be to make sure they don't have awful signage - as I agree it is a gateway to the city.

p.s. Would also accept an Ikea.

Thank you for writing this. I find it incredibly haughty when people say "what should be here." What should be here will be decided by the market and the desires/needs of those who will eventually live in the neighbourhood; not some sort of Urban Toronto approval committee.

Downtown is and will continue to be successful by being a neighbourhood for people who live there, including providing them the opportunity to buy regular household items, groceries. Downtown is not some sort of pollyanna where you can buy artisanal toilet paper.

+1000. We love you. We have wanted to say this for years. Thank God that there isn't an Urban Toronto Approval Committee!

You must realize, however, that these projects and construction forums are only to critique exterior appearances and not the actual quality or utility or management of a building. You all know how horrendously bad our new RC condo building is even though no one listens (or conveniently becomes deaf). We bought a dud with a sexy black exterior.

Of course, actually practical retail would be awesome here. Why on earth would we need more high-end retail? Does no one live downtown?

Brad Lamb talked about how all the poor people will naturally be pushed out of the core by the "Manhattanization of Toronto". At least allow us normal people to shop somewhere for a little while longer before you elitists only into appearances and fake friends take over entirely.

I wonder if those opposed to a Walmart type store would be as opposed if they were to adopt the three storey model. Virtually every decent sized city in China has a Walmart in a central location and of the many i have been to the large majority were three levels. The ones that weren't were two levels. This is true of most large supermarkets there. Would that be more palatable and is there any chance it'll catch on in a big way here? It really does allow them to fit in nicely in extremely urban, walkable environments.

First of all, speaking of people who live in South Core as if they’re low-income people who can nary afford anything more than Walmart is absurd. These people can afford condominiums with waterfront views, can’t they?

Second of all, affordability doesn’t justify enormously destructive corporations. Walmart may be more affordable to people, but long term it makes the world much worse for lower income people (and makes more people lower income). And being against Walmart or similar giant stores/corporations is not about being “only into appearances and fake friendsâ€; it’s about ethics and making the city/world better (especially for the non-rich).

And about the three-storey model, that would be a less egregious presence, yes, but it would retain countless problematic aspects of said corporation. I dearly hope nothing (more) of the sort ever comes to Toronto (or anywhere).

Walmart doesn't bother me in an urban setting so much. (I should first say that I am a broke post OCADU student with lots of debt, so I see things from both sides of the fence. I want things to be affordable and also look nice)
From a visual merchandising standpoint Walmart makes some good aesthetic choices, more so than Target did. My main issue with Target was that they didn't even look as nice inside as an up to date Zellers before they closed. It just felt like an empty old warehouse in those places with cheap generic fixtures. I know that is a silly thing to dwell on but they did not look nice on the inside. At least newer Walmarts use custom fixtures, and use their space well.
If it wasnt for places like Walmart and Canadian Tire I would not be able to survive living downtown either. The core could definitely use more retail like this I agree.
I just hope that whoever goes there makes some smart aesthetic choices.

Yet it's also extremely naive to believe that arvelomcquaig was referring only to the purchase of a single, cheap item in his critique of walmart and corporatism. I think a more charitable reading of his post would show that he was talking about the macroeconomic effects of large corporations, not the micro(super-micro)economics of buying a single shower curtain. So your objection sounds more like invective to me.

Either way, Walmart down in the southcore is a bit of a downer, I'd have to agree.

First of all, speaking of people who live in South Core as if they’re low-income people who can nary afford anything more than Walmart is absurd. These people can afford condominiums with waterfront views, can’t they?

Second of all, affordability doesn’t justify enormously destructive corporations. Walmart may be more affordable to people, but long term it makes the world much worse for lower income people (and makes more people lower income). And being against Walmart or similar giant stores/corporations is not about being “only into appearances and fake friendsâ€; it’s about ethics and making the city/world better (especially for the non-rich).

And about the three-storey model, that would be a less egregious presence, yes, but it would retain countless problematic aspects of said corporation. I dearly hope nothing (more) of the sort ever comes to Toronto (or anywhere).

Huh? Who on earth said that people living in Southcore were living the high-life? Most ppl are either paying massive rents or have huge mortgages, but many people are cash-strapped that I know of. To think that people should shop only at high-end retailers because they have a lake view is absurd. Let's keep this area real.

I know tons of people at any income level who shop at Walmart. For a reason. While maybe they are an evil corporation in the bigger picture, anyone who lives in a first world country and uses up precious resources is evil according to your theory. Get real. We should want a Walmart here. They hire normal people and cater to normal people. There is only so often one can shop at retailers like Whole Foods and Rowe Farms for food and Nordstroms for clothes without going broke. Sure, they are nice, but are they practical retail for the average resident here? A resounding NO.

I never said everyone living in the area should only shop at high-end retailers; I said that they can afford better than Walmart. There are more options in the world than Walmart and Nordstroms. Let’s keep this area “real” by not precluding the presence of small businesses with the dominance of giant corporations.

I’m not saying anyone’s evil; I’m saying that some businesses and kinds of consumption are more harmful than others, and produce worse cities long-term, so we should try to eschew those. And Walmart treats “normal” people like garbage and often ruin the retail environment and labour standards wherever they go. So, whenever possible, it should be eschewed.

I never said everyone living in the area should only shop at high-end retailers; I said that they can afford better than Walmart. There are more options in the world than Walmart and Nordstroms. Let’s keep this area “real” by not precluding the presence of small businesses with the dominance of giant corporations.

I’m not saying anyone’s evil; I’m saying that some businesses and kinds of consumption are more harmful than others, and produce worse cities long-term, so we should try to eschew those. And Walmart treats “normal” people like garbage and often ruin the retail environment and labour standards wherever they go. So, whenever possible, it should be eschewed.

Therefore why I suggested Costco. :rolleyes:

What's funny is Walmart actually pays better than other chain retailers (except Costco) and even gives bonuses to their employees. I was surprised when I heard this from a friend who works at Walmart.

Last edited:

Back