There are two branches literally 5 minutes from the site - 777 Bay at College Park and off Carlton at the Met. Further north there is one at Church/Wellesley.

Next time when you wonder why the bank charges exorbitant service fees....

AoD
Nope, still doesn't add up. CIBC's net income in 2015 was just shy of 3 600 000 000. They charge the services they do for one reason and one reason only: because people pay them.

Alright, sorry, back on topic.

The number of developments on Yonge Street is crazy but also exciting to see. I just hope these changes don't make the retail completely generic and corporate.

There are two branches literally 5 minutes from the site - 777 Bay at College Park and off Carlton at the Met. Further north there is one at Church/Wellesley.

Next time when you wonder why the bank charges exorbitant service fees....

AoD

We already saw the banks go through a phase of branch closings 20 years ago and moving everything to office parks and mega suburban outlets. Doesn't really help their retail business downtown.

241 pizza is honestly bottom of the barrel in my opinion. Ali baba's is not great in fact its barely ok, but they are cheap and I'm into falafel, sometimes you just need a huge platter of falafel and rice and hummus and you only have $6.

I've also worked in grocery stores and restaurants and know that everything we put in our mouths whether prepared by us or for us is pretty gross. Just try not to think about it.

Today:
IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,312
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,275
  • IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,320
While the building is unabashedly aimed at the Asian community through its marketing, to infer that it's all offshore Chinese investors in this building is a bit of a stretch. Sure, of course there are some, but we all know that means there will be more units coming onto the rental market in this city, and that's not exactly bad.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what's been "so fast" with this. Lanterra bought the site in March 2011, went through working groups finalizing the design with the City over the next two and a half years or so, and got the sales going in November 2014. To be starting excavation a year and a quarter later is pretty typical.

What's more important is that there are many retail units. I don't want another Aura.
Many? It's going from 13 down to 5 max, and the developer confirmed that those 5 could be combined depending of the market. I predict 3 retail units. Coffee shop, bank, dry cleaners. Yawn.

Many? It's going from 13 down to 5 max, and the developer confirmed that those 5 could be combined depending of the market. I predict 3 retail units. Coffee shop, bank, dry cleaners. Yawn.
If this does happen and continues to happen in the towers to come, it will destroy Yonge Street as a retail destination. It's not a great shopping street as it is but that will make it much worse.

I like seeing a variety of retailers, too, but let's be honest about the quality of what we lost. There may have been 13 retailers there, but that included a shoe store that looked like no one had shopped in it since the 70s, a very low market martial arts supply store, a sketchy internet cafe, the Ali Baba, that Braz.1.l place that was always closed and a generic schwarma/hookah place that seemed to change names every six months. That Mexican place on the corner was good but always empty, Kathmandu was decent but nothing special (and they've already reopened further north), and the Papaya Hut was good and hopefully finds a new home in the area. There was nothing interesting or worth saving in that block. I'd rather see five decent operations there than the previous mishmash of crap. If we get two nice restaurants, a bank, and even one decent retailer it would be a huge improvement over what was there.

Back