thumbnail_IMG_6897.jpg

New glazing up on podium
I'm just wondering WTF this is supposed to be and how it ever got approved. On Yonge Street.

A hulking 4-5 storeys of parking garage on the city's central artery is bad enough - but what is going on behind the glass? Are those bamboo blinds from the dollar store? I'm confused... Unless I am missing something, I think this would probably be better off being a billboard.

Developers are really having their way obliterating the soul of Yonge St. Not as bad as Canderel salting the earth with their horrendous eyesore across the street but this is still pretty awful.
At this rate there will be no point in improving Yonge's public realm- nobody is going to want to spend any time there.

I'm just wondering WTF this is supposed to be and how it ever got approved. On Yonge Street.

A hulking 4-5 storeys of parking garage on the city's central artery is bad enough - but what is going on behind the glass? Are those bamboo blinds from the dollar store? I'm confused... Unless I am missing something, I think this would probably be better off being a billboard.

Developers are really having their way obliterating the soul of Yonge St. Not as bad as Canderel salting the earth with their horrendous eyesore across the street but this is still pretty awful.
At this rate there will be no point in improving Yonge's public realm- nobody is going to want to spend any time there.

It looks fine - and I certainly prefer that over billboards (which there isn't much of a market for at this site anyways) - or what was on the site previously for that matter. My only serious complaint for this project would be the nature of the retail - I am hoping for something fine-grained, but I doubt we are going to get it. The elevated parking garage is unavoidable given the specific nature of the site (i.e. right above the subway tunnel) - short of the project having NO parking whatsoever. Not a huge fan of the south tower - just because it looks forgettable, middling - not poke your eyes out ugly like the neighbour across the street.

As to the "soul" of Yonge Street - it's already mostly on life-support or gone even before the pandemic. High-rents and demographic change drove that process.

AoD

Last edited:

Back