Wow there will be a public art component on the Podium. I didn't even realize that!

Cool, I like the idea of some nice LED lights making different artistic patterns on the Yonge facing side.

That would be awesome!

Some glass boxes are better than others. Some cardboard boxes are better than others too!

I believe I once lived in a glass box...and as a kid, I certainly loved hanging out in cardboard boxes!

Do you live in a precast concrete and stucco clad box?

My house
Amazing-Green-Glass-Cube-Pavilion-Building.jpg

vs your house:
P9290007-612x456.jpg

???

Last edited:
That glass box in the first image is far more refined than this project. I'd equate 501 Yonge to the stucco house- cheap modern architecture that pretends to be classy while not-so-secretly submitting to the brute forces of economics.

Last edited:
I'd equate 501 Yonge to the stucco house- cheap modern architecture that pretends to be classy while not-so-secretly submitting to the brute forces of economics.

Can you point me towards a rendering to illustrate the point you were making here?

...nevermind...found it. And I am now inclined to agree with you. The only possible saving grace here is colour and texture but really, its a lipstick on a pig situation.

Last edited:
There's not much to been seen in colour and texture- from what I see in materiality, it's basically Casa without the cap and with Exhibit/TIFF Lightbox's fritted glass balconies. Plus, it looks like the building will be pretty close to the sidewalk.

Could they not have articulated the project in a more refined way, like how they did at Pure Spirits and 18 Yorkville?

...Could they not have articulated the project in a more refined way, like how they did at Pure Spirits and 18 Yorkville?

Yes, but that would require two things:
1) a desire by the developer to do the right thing and
2) a real architect

Yes, but that would require two things:
1) a desire by the developer to do the right thing and
2) a real architect

I think the developer ought to be tarred and feathered for this proposal, as it stands now. Your criticism of the architect is maybe a tad harsh, but it may be justified; the concept at present is just another form of " whorin' ".

I was pondering the name of this condo. Murano-Burano- Bore-anew?

Or, Whorin' on Yonge ?

The design is good. I'm still not that excited about this giant going right next to Buddies, and possibly exploding it's land values, and therefore property taxes. :(

I was pondering the name of this condo. Murano-Burano- Bore-anew?

Or, Whorin' on Yonge ?

While I do find that quite amusing I do believe it would be entirely inappropriate... to get creative now. The simplicity of 'The Box on Young' would however compliment it perfectly.

or to please a particular segement of population .... perhaps "aA on Yonge" will satisfy their needs ... LOL

@ UrbanDreamer! HOT house! I still think you should change your avatar to a pic of the mask you wore on RogersTV! Great episode, btw :)

urbandreamer, I do like your house better than the other house (lots) but ... are those the only two alternatives? I hardly think so.
You reduce it to such simple terms.

There is some good design work going on in this city, and I would like to see the 501 Yonge site get some of that good design, and I think aA can be pushed, in fact I know it.

Back