Meanwhile, check out Aa's exciting new lineup:

aanewlineup.jpg

Now that's funny.

I see the aA bashers and the aA hagiographers have chosen to hang out in different threads today (see Florian).

I posted this elsewhere but it belongs here. A group put this together to challenge this development - http://501yonge.ca/drupal/index.php

I hope they are able to shut this project down until they put forward an intelligent, people friendly solution to this site. I'd be happy to let them go taller if they could better address the relationship to the street and hopefully street-life.

It's a very difficult site what with subway tunnels below much of the site, so they can't go down. I'd like to meet the geniuses at Lanterra who approved 40M for this site with a subway below it. I mean, of all the properties in the downtown to develop on and they choose to snap this one up.

How many times do we have to reiterate this: THIS IS NOT THE INTENDED STRUCTURE!

It is simply a placeholder that establishes the 'planning envelope'. Whatever the actual proposal looks like, it will fit entirely within the dimensions established by this design, which is intended to get the planning permissions underway while the real design work is being completed. I have every expectation that when the actual design is unveiled, it will be far superior in design to this maximum-volume placeholder -- including in how it 'meets the street'.

Last edited:
I agree that something like that Halifax project by aA would be amazing here.

How many times do we have to reiterate this: THIS IS NOT THE INTENDED STRUCTURE!

It is simply a placeholder that establishes the 'planning envelope'. Whatever the actual proposal looks like, it will fit entirely within the dimensions established by this design, which is intended to get the planning permissions underway while the real design work is being completed. I have every expectation that when the actual design is unveiled, it will be far superior in design to this maximum-volume placeholder -- including in how it 'meets the street'.

So you have every expectation that there will NOT be a 75 to 85 foot parking garage that runs along an entire city block on Yonge Street?
We all understand that what we've seen isn't a rendering of what's to come, it's a proposal - a work in progress, but they still have to build up - way up to accommodate a parking garage for guest and resident parking. Let's presume for a moment that they get chopped down to 45 stories each, then we lose one level of parking so the parking garage is now 14 feet shorter. That's still a massive concern.
Bottom line, this is as bad as proposals come with what Lanterra wants to do here.

Good one! This thread is a laugh.
Hopefully underneath the 'planning envelope' there isn't another box with the same massive podium, or the light-hearted humor will end right there and then.

Last edited:
It's a very difficult site what with subway tunnels below much of the site, so they can't go down. I'd like to meet the geniuses at Lanterra who approved 40M for this site with a subway below it. I mean, of all the properties in the downtown to develop on and they choose to snap this one up.

even if they only get approved for half the height that they've asked for they're still in good shape. yes it's a tricky site but location is A+ and basis is low at 38.5mm in either event. the real problem as i see it is that the site lacks the depth to accommodate the large floor plates that they've pencilied in. i was at another meeting a few days ago where the developer is proposing double the setback from Yonge Street and the residents were going wild. lanterra is at 9 metres with this one and from reading the application i wonder how much room they have to push back further.

CanadianNational - Did you actually draw that? Too funny... I think I see ProjectEnd there with his camera.

Back