Push back further and go with one tower of 75-80 floors...might actually look a lot better.

from what i can tell there's plenty of room frontage wise for two two towers. as for pushing back further it looks like they're set back 8 metres from the lane so i'd say push the tower over in this direction and cut down the floor plate in order to get it further off of yonge....but if i'm not mistaken there's another building on the other side of that lane which they'll need to stay sufficiently away from as well so i wonder how much they can even push over.

i think the solution here is to let them keep two towers but cut down on the height and floor plate while also limiting the awkward seven-storey podium that overhangs yonge.

i think the solution here is to let them keep two towers but cut down on the height and floor plate while also limiting the awkward seven-storey podium that overhangs yonge.

Yeah, didnt this lot cost Lanterra around 50 million bucks...people want this chopped in half and meanwhile also want the perks, quality, and reasonable price per sq. ft. Is that even possible.:confused:

38.5M, if the information released is correct.

Yeah, didnt this lot cost Lanterra around 50 million bucks...people want this chopped in half and meanwhile also want the perks, quality, and reasonable price per sq. ft. Is that even possible.:confused:

At the same time, good City Planning / Building is not ONLY about how much return a developer should get from their investment (yes it is part of the equation of course), but that should NEVER be the basis of any planning approvals .... it would be Lanterra's own doing (if) they overpaid in order to acquire for any particular property .... the City and its citizens should be be held responsible to live with a monsterous building just because a builder paid HUGE premiums for the land ~

It would be nice if they had some kind of courtyard or public square between the two towers. We need more public spaces along Yonge Street.

At the same time, good City Planning / Building is not ONLY about how much return a developer should get from their investment (yes it is part of the equation of course), but that should NEVER be the basis of any planning approvals .... it would be Lanterra's own doing (if) they overpaid in order to acquire for any particular property .... the City and its citizens should be be held responsible to live with a monsterous building just because a builder paid HUGE premiums for the land ~

you guys are missing the point - lanterra did not overpay for this land. even if they get approved at two 38s (as opposed to 58s) they're still in the black.

i like the idea of the courtyard in beteen the towers btw but then they wouldn't be able to provide any parking so doubt this is feasible.

what's wrong with you people. anything that lanterra build, as long as it has retail on the ground floor, is going to be better than what's there now.

Sorry>>>>

.....that should matter ,more than a bunch of internet dorks whining cause the cladding doesn't match my favorite color this month...or the podium isn't what I had envisioned.........the investor does and should have the majority say, and too bad if you don't like it!!! :confused:
You people are so self important at times......seriously......do you want your neighbors telling you what to do with your land??? Get over yourself!!! If Lanterra paid 50, 35 mil, or 6 dollars and 75 cents, they get to decide, if you don't like it, buy it!!! ...and see what a thousand different opinions gets you??? Nowhere!

.....that should matter ,more than a bunch of internet dorks whining cause the cladding doesn't match my favorite color this month...or the podium isn't what I had envisioned.........the investor does and should have the majority say, and too bad if you don't like it!!! :confused:
You people are so self important at times......seriously......do you want your neighbors telling you what to do with your land??? Get over yourself!!! If Lanterra paid 50, 35 mil, or 6 dollars and 75 cents, they get to decide, if you don't like it, buy it!!! ...and see what a thousand different opinions gets you??? Nowhere!

I understand what your saying but i think what Solaris was trying to get at was if the people of a city had more say in planning for a building then it may turn out better overall because it is appeasing to them now.

I understand what your saying but i think what Solaris was trying to get at was if the people of a city had more say in planning for a building then it may turn out better overall because it is appeasing to them now.

good point toronto3, but jetsbackincanada raises a valid concern. I've found a lot of the commentary on these forums to be from people who are seemingly "self-important" per above. we're entitled to our opinions of course but i just wish we could be more constructive and relevant with our feedback, particularly in discussing critical sites such as this one.

i think the public should have a say in the planning process. absolutely. but there's a limit given that the investor has, as jetsback put it, the majority of the input in direction (within reason). the problem as i see it from some of the meetings that i've been to is the public is unrealistic with their feedback/demands, and when you're in a position of relative weakness to begin with then you're going to have a difficult time getting anywhere if you take the hard line position every time out.

Clearly you haven't a clue about people here who are passionate about the planning and building of a good, livable city. Why do you even come on this forum if this is your opinion?

I noticed today on my walk to the Y that 26 Alexander (which houses Carmen's Steak House) is up for sale. This may be a ripple effect of the pending 501 development. Between the 501 property and Carmen's, there is Buddies in Bad Times theatre.

Not a change-resistant person, me, but some of this is putting a lump in my throat. I'd like part of the existing character of Alexander St. to stay intact. On the other hand I can't fault the owner of a business for sensing an opportunity, and listing his/her property ... or perhaps they want to beat it outta there before 4 years' construction upheaval takes its toll on nerves and business.

I noticed today on my walk to the Y that 26 Alexander (which houses Carmen's Steak House) is up for sale. This may be a ripple effect of the pending 501 development. Between the 501 property and Carmen's, there is Buddies in Bad Times theatre.

Not a change-resistant person, me, but some of this is putting a lump in my throat. I'd like part of the existing character of Alexander St. to stay intact. On the other hand I can't fault the owner of a business for sensing an opportunity, and listing his/her property ... or perhaps they want to beat it outta there before 4 years' construction upheaval takes its toll on nerves and business.

great points Tony V never thought about the argument of business owners wanting to split before construction gets going. karma will be being built at the same time as well so the area will be a war zone.

Carmen's has survived closer construction than Karma - the Cosmopolitan for example - and Karma will likely be ahead of 501 Yonge by a year or two. Karma is in sales, 501 is not.

Back