You wouldn't be wrong as Asia is the world's largest and most populous continent with a myriad of different geographies, cultures, and lifestyles.

Why you felt instantly drawn to some of its poverty and overcrowding at the mention of 'Asian-inspired' and felt compelled to share that notion (with pictures and all) I do not know. I guess the urge to be cheeky was too much to handle, even if its at the expense of other cultures and their evident social problems.

I agree. This project is a new condo, why would he compare it to a bunch of old buildings, possibly from the 70s? Or is it because he has never been to Asia?

Should people think of this when thinking of "North America inspired"?

suburbs.jpg

Attachments

• suburbs.jpg
    suburbs.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 1,672
At this point I'm not even concerned about architecture.

This project eliminates by far the most deadly nasty retail block on Yonge (possibly in all downtown Toronto).

It is nice to see most of the nasty retail blocks on Yonge between College and Wellesley are being replace, and of course this one is particularly bad.
One story shacks with boring retail (blue jays T-shirts, CN tower miniatures for $19.99, Yay!) on downtown Yonge st, simply unfathomable!

I agree. This project is a new condo, why would he compare it to a bunch of old buildings, possibly from the 70s? Or is it because he has never been to Asia?

Should people think of this when thinking of "North America inspired"?

You could hardly blame them if they do. That picture quite adequately describes a "norm" which prevailed for decades and still stubbornly persists - although I would argue it's fiercely under attack in a (belated) reaction to the grossly wasteful inefficiencies that kind of planning entails.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is nice to see most of the nasty retail blocks on Yonge between College and Wellesley are being replace, and of course this one is particularly bad.
One story shacks with boring retail (blue jays T-shirts, CN tower miniatures for $19.99, Yay!) on downtown Yonge st, simply unfathomable!

It isn't glam, but this retail strip is rich in interest and selection. The restaurants (4-5 of them), the Kleen Air shoes, and Papaya Hut are all great businesses! I won't miss the building at all, but I will miss the shops.

This project eliminates by far the most deadly nasty retail block on Yonge (possibly in all downtown Toronto).

What the hell does 'deadly nasty' mean? Even if you're not particularly interested in the retail offerings, the loss of cadence in their narrow street-frontages is something that will not only be missed, but could create more of a 'deadening' effect than what exists currently. There is endless research to support this.

I agree that it could be better just by duplicating other stretches nearby on Yonge, but what is being proposed should be a disappointment at this stage in Toronto's development. It is unlikely to encourage tourists or visitors to the city to linger much. That it a heuristic I generally find useful in determining how much a new project will contribute to the area.

You probably wrote the post in haste given how discordant it is with many of your other posts I have seen on here. This includes posts in threads where we argued on the same side. For future reference, and so I know who I may be siding with, can you confirm that, upon mature reflection, you are actually concerned about architecture.

Thanks. :)

the loss of cadence in their narrow street-frontages is something that will not only be missed, but could create more of a 'deadening' effect than what exists currently. There is endless research to support this.

As a rule, I would agree. But Yonge can withstand the loss of the smaller storefronts in this side of the block. Cheap rent is simply not been working on Yonge for a long time...it's just crappy indie stores as opposed to interesting indie stores. If this was a block of vics, I'd be be willing to wait it out, but it isn't...it's an unredeemable block-long 2-storey shack that has a negative impact on the vibe and aesthetics of the street.

And we could get lucky and the new project may meet the street very nicely and the retail, while larger and paying higher rent, could be a good fit.

I'm now resolved to the idea that the old Yonge I knew and loved.... is gone...and it's never coming back. The new Yonge is going to be a combination of 5ive type projects I think. The status quo is really awful...has been for quite a while...and it has to change. It's too bad projects like Aura are barely an improvement to the surface parking lot it replaced, but I hope this project will be better.

I like that the retail plans on the south side of the building show small scale restaurants or cafes. It is hopeful that some interesting restaurants might open there.

In the renders, the brick on the shorter tower looks limited to the balconies. These models (edit: hopefully? on second look I'm not so sure) seem to show it running all the way up the tower, though.
The model has spandrel glass running vertically, no brick (matches the renders). The backlight just makes it look very dark in those pictures.

That bricked portion looks pretty decent but I'm worried about the glass wall on the south portion. Glass walls on retail podiums need to be kept to a minimum. We are already getting too many of them.

501 YONGE ST
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District
►View All Properties

Proposal for site plan approval related to two mixed use towers(25 and 52 storeys), with residential above, total of 832 units
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 15 149779 STE 27 SA Apr 30, 2015 Under Review

I'm kinda curious what the marketing hacks who came up with "Asian inspired" are actually referring to with this project--I mean, they've only narrowed it down to 2/3 of the world's population. Why not just call it universe inspired--that way nobody is left out, not even any potential space ant investors.

People need to lighten up slightly rather than huffily pursuing ways to be offended and outraged.

Unless you're also 'equally' offended at terms like Continental cuisine, South American, African, North American culture etc. Lets see what they do? Would a term like Indian-inspired also offend since there are countless regions, religions, dialects in India?

Asian-inspired is not racist however much you wish it was.

Back