Photos taken today, it appears they may finally be at the bottom in one small section here. Still a long way to go for the rest of the dirt to be removed.
PXL_20240513_163651507 - Copy.jpg
PXL_20240513_163315942 - Copy.jpg

I was looking through my old iCloud photos and I found this, haha. It was in a flyer I got in the mail in the summer of 2017, and I remember taking the photo to send to a friend.

I had to share it here. "FROM THE LOW 200's" gave me a good laugh...

IMG_4340.JPG

I was looking through my old iCloud photos and I found this, haha. It was in a flyer I got in the mail in the summer of 2017, and I remember taking the photo to send to a friend.

I had to share it here. "FROM THE LOW 200's" gave me a good laugh...

View attachment 564160

That was back when it still had the nice podium instead of the cheaped out "brick" they copped out for.

In 2024 are there any sub $500,000 or sub $450,000 units?
Not in this building, and likely never again. Price to build is too expensive. The floor is likely $400,000 for break-even on these types of developments and that doesn't include profit margins of around 15%. The removal of parking minimums will likely help a ton with reducing the minimum break-even cost as a parking stall alone can cost $70,000-$125,000 each.

That was back when it still had the nice podium instead of the cheaped out "brick" they copped out for.
Wasn't cheaping out, the neighbours complained and the developer was required to make the podium better match the 'character of the area's ie. use red brick, remove the columns

Wasn't cheaping out, the neighbours complained and the developer was required to make the podium better match the 'character of the area's ie. use red brick, remove the columns
Yeah but it doesn't match the current building or the heritage front at all and it's just plain - they could have at least added some embellishments or gone with a similar look as the heritage front. It just feels very cookie cutter panels.

There was at least one variant a few pages back where it looked like white stone that looked a lot better than just the regular reddish brown brick

tvc_rendering_ext_podium-jpg.380654

this one looked much better.

vs the current one:

1696021677491-png.510023

Someone said it aptly when they compared it to a public library look.

Last edited:
Oh I totally agree - but if I remember correctly, one of the complaints was specifically that it wasn't using red brick.

The red brick looks so dumb to the point of garish, and out of place. The stone or "stone look" would be a much better choice.

They should try to match the colour of the historic house on site if doing any attempt at "faux historic" podium

Last edited:
The red brick looks so dumb to the point of garish, and out of place. The stone or "stone look" would be a much better choice.

They should try to match the colour of the historic house on site if doing any attempt at "faux historic" podium
My thoughts exactly! The house itself doesn't match the rest cuz its not red brick - match the HOUSE, not the surroundings! I mean what exactly are they complaining about? The previous thing on that block was a metal spaceship!

My thoughts exactly! The house itself doesn't match the rest cuz its not red brick - match the HOUSE, not the surroundings! I mean what exactly are they complaining about? The previous thing on that block was a metal spaceship!
It really was as close as TV studio-looking-like-60s-idea-of-spaceship (mothership) could get 😆

Edit: the spaceship wasn't opened until 1983!

This quote. Destiny!
City council approved rezoning for the new studio in October 1980 after the station changed its mind about another plan for the site — ironically, a high rise residential building.

Last edited:

Back