Sweet! That's looking cool so far. Can't wait to see it completed. Thanks for the photo!

now that, that is what a REAL fin looks like.

Waw.. looks good, fins are tall and covering glass wall looks adding three more floors. I wish they could also cover east and west side of the building and it will definitely gain little bit of hieght.

What a beautiful building. This is the perfect example of how execution and details matter

wow. i cannot - even squinting - see any beauty in this building. it is a fat, squat, ugly, grey building. yes, there are details that are interesting. but the overall structure is dreary. it looks like something built in saskatoon or edmonton in the 70s or 80s.
the three office towers that have gone up recently are all really disappointing. what redeeming qualities are there?
rbc looks ok from north to south. but the western exposure from the gardiner is like a big, blank nothing.
and the BA centre is a total unredeemable dud.
thank god for residential and hotel construction. that's where the interesting architecture is.
be honest. compare these buildings to TD Centre and Commerce. Or Brookfield Place or the Royal Bank plaza.
they are duds.

June 8

Fenceing has replace the hording on the east side and can get a full view of things now.

IMG_june-08-09-0041.JPG

IMG_june-08-09-0040.JPG

wow. I cannot - even squinting - see any beauty in this building. It is a fat, squat, ugly, grey building. Yes, there are details that are interesting. But the overall structure is dreary. It looks like something built in saskatoon or edmonton in the 70s or 80s.
The three office towers that have gone up recently are all really disappointing. What redeeming qualities are there?
Rbc looks ok from north to south. But the western exposure from the gardiner is like a big, blank nothing.
And the ba centre is a total unredeemable dud.
Thank god for residential and hotel construction. That's where the interesting architecture is.
Be honest. Compare these buildings to td centre and commerce. Or brookfield place or the royal bank plaza.
They are duds.

bravo!!!

Brookfield place?!?

Anyways, I think your selling KPF's RBC Centre way too short and giving 1970s and 1980s Saskatoon or Edmonton far too much credit.

wow. i cannot - even squinting - see any beauty in this building. it is a fat, squat, ugly, grey building. yes, there are details that are interesting. but the overall structure is dreary. it looks like something built in saskatoon or edmonton in the 70s or 80s.
the three office towers that have gone up recently are all really disappointing. what redeeming qualities are there?
rbc looks ok from north to south. but the western exposure from the gardiner is like a big, blank nothing.
and the BA centre is a total unredeemable dud.
thank god for residential and hotel construction. that's where the interesting architecture is.
be honest. compare these buildings to TD Centre and Commerce. Or Brookfield Place or the Royal Bank plaza.
they are duds.

Agree...Get ready for the now under construction PWC office building, and future 31 storey Cadillac Fairview office building on the ICE site, they shouldnt be any different. Yeah i would say nothing special with these pretty boring boxes, maybe the future office boom will bring Toronto some funkier designs.

This building is all about the glass, the materials and the details. Dreary? Gray? No way. Give it a couple of months when the building nears completion and the glass has been cleaned then head down and examine it in person. Despite the many fantastic photographs by so many great UT'ers here many buildings look better when you can walk around them, see how they fit into the space where they sit, how they are connected to the area etc. and take it all in.
You may be very surprised at what you see.

I think it suits Bay St. It's a little brother to First Canadian Place. Shorter, but cooler, wearing the new cool "glass" outfit. Glass is rad....uhmm... do they still say "rad"? :rolleyes:

On the one hand a lot of it seems to boil down to a personal preference for or dislike of glass, whatever the case may be. I like glass just fine but find the impact of individual buildings is lost when so many glass buildings, and so many that are arguably similar in design, are built in such close proximity to each other such that it starts to feel pretty 'Vancouver'-ized pretty fast. On the other hand, the skylines of some other cities like Chicago or New York seem more interesting because you see an evolution of building styles and materials all mixed in together which feels more organic.

On the one hand a lot of it seems to boil down to a personal preference for or dislike of glass, whatever the case may be. I like glass just fine but find the impact of individual buildings is lost when so many glass buildings, and so many that are arguably similar in design, are built in such close proximity to each other such that it starts to feel pretty 'Vancouver'-ized pretty fast. On the other hand, the skylines of some other cities like Chicago or New York seem more interesting because you see an evolution of building styles and materials all mixed in together which feels more organic.

I agree there is far too much glass. The next business cycle will hopefully bring new styles and new materials. Its the silver lining of a boom gone bust.

June 9

3612746108_d37a7092f4_b.jpg

I've mentioned this before, but the problem with the new office towers in Toronto these days is that they are speculative developments. If they were designed as corporate headquarters right from the beginning we might have seen much more thought put into the design, as corporations would be looking for a more unique design to project a corporate image.

June 9

3612746108_d37a7092f4_b.jpg

I've mentioned this before, but the problem with the new office towers in Toronto these days is that they are speculative developments. If they were designed as corporate headquarters right from the beginning we might have seen much more thought put into the design, as corporations would be looking for a more unique design to project a corporate image.

Was Telus tower not such a project?

Back