WRT to multiple buildings vs one super tall. I've often wondered why RBC has a handful of buildings scattered throughout the city and the GTA in general, instead of one iconic supertall a-la FCP.

It's just not necessary to have all the operations under one roof (no doubt paying double premium lease rates)

And BMO has offices all across the city, not just at FCP. I have a friend who works in the internal offices of BMO and he is presently in the Eaton Centre in one of the towers. He has also worked up at Vic and Steeles and the Manulife building.

Everything is easy when you don't fully appreciate why complexes are choosen over lone supertalls. (especially in this day and age of pension fund/reit ownership)

Not only is it cheaper to build out than up but phasing has all the advantages from pre-leasing, to financing construction, to earlier occupation, etc.

Toronto doesn't really have the anchors for a supertall and I wouldn't count on one of our large corporations to build a new signature headquarters when the money can be better invested into the business. You're also stuck with that location and space.

Maestro, how exactly is it cheaper to divide a set amount of office space into seperate buildings as oppossed to having that said amount built as one single structure? I'm guessing maybe the complexities of building a taller strucutre substantially increases the cost of construction?

Tell us, what projects do you like?

Fair question. New residential buildings that I like include the Bell Lightbox with its dramatic massing along King Street and the terraces and the way sunlight makes the limestone on Stern building on St. Thomas glow. Among new office buildings I value are the Bank of America tower across from Bryant Square in NYC. These structures are not just boxes like the Telus tower.

Let me add that some elements of Telus impress. The rectangular frame near the ground level adds some variety to this slab. But the sum of the whole lacks verve.

What buildings do you like?

In response to ProjectEnd's post commenting (sardonically?) that my views wouldn't be "popular around here", maybe your expectatations are kind of on the modest side?

And BMO has offices all across the city, not just at FCP. I have a friend who works in the internal offices of BMO and he is presently in the Eaton Centre in one of the towers. He has also worked up at Vic and Steeles and the Manulife building.

A relative of mine is quite high up at Scotiabank and he works in Union.

I know many rant and rave over Toronto's potential to rank up there with the big boys of the world a la NYC, London, Paris etc. I say Toronto embrace supertall construction, but with bold, iconic design and architecture. If Toronto allows its buildings to reach for the heavens, similar to what Dubai is doing, maybe the world will slowly turn its eyes onto our city like never before. Towering structures do attract attention after all. We're proof of that on this forum are we not? ;)

Oh, go lose your virginity.

June 10

IMG_june-11-09-0027.JPG

IMG_june-11-09-0033.JPG

IMG_june-11-09-0039.JPG

IMG_june-11-09-0040.JPG

IMG_june-11-09-0042.JPG

this building will a be a success, no doubt. aesthetically, it certainly outdoes its glass sisters. its connection to the acc, union and the core in general seems natural.

3621552806_4328f057c0_o.jpg

Oh, go lose your virginity.

The best retort of 2009 so far! Hilarious!

this building will a be a success, no doubt. aesthetically, it certainly outdoes its glass sisters. its connection to the acc, union and the core in general seems natural.

I agree but I think it's fair to say that at this point it already is a success :)

RBC was designed and executed well but that green glass just doesn't do it for me. BA has great glass, but it's boring. If BA had have had an exciting roof line (like many have discussed, tall fins) that was lit with LED lighting, it would have made a big difference to me as at least it would have been a standout at night.
Finally, I'm curious as to how window cleaners will navigate Telus's north and south sides to clean the glass.

Back