Union Station Sign, 17 October 2009

The sign has now been installed at the south entrance to Union Station. No doubt the keen eyes of Urban Toronto will thoroughly critique it. Is it true Helvetica? :p

(PS If it is more appropriate to move these to the Union Station Renovation thread please let me know.)

4020177601_81f4d4b625_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41002894@N07/4020177601/

4020177821_31ba8a6e15_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41002894@N07/4020177821/

4020177975_a432b13a45_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41002894@N07/4020177975/

Love it, assuming that they are covered and not left like that.

As for the doors... why cant we have just normal doors for once? Our doors in T.O look so institutional. It would have been nice to just have glass doors.

i triumph indeed! but i would have preferred the use of wingdings.

Love it, assuming that they are covered and not left like that.

As for the doors... why cant we have just normal doors for once? Our doors in T.O look so institutional. It would have been nice to just have glass doors.

Code calls for all doors in Toronto to weigh around 200kg so that you have to wrestle them open while juggling any parcels you may be carrying.

There also has to be a massive pressure differential so that opening the door creates a gust of wind that destroys the hairstyle you spent a good 5 minutes on that morning, which is why you decided to walk indoors in the first place (because it was too windy outside).

Love the sign. Would love it more if it was on the roof, instead of hanging down.

Is that neon lighting?

Last edited:
A black, aluminum clad support on the west side, silver aluminum cladding on top and a stone column on the east side...now that's architecture. Sigh.

(...and those doors are disgusting).

The stone wall makes sense, takes symmetry away and grounds the entrance nicely.

As for the black vertical section to the left, I don't like that too much.

I wonder how they will cover the letters? Dark red casings? Dark glass? Something sexy I hope!

I wonder how they will cover the letters? Dark red casings? Dark glass? Something sexy I hope!
The letters would have been built differently if they were going to be covered (typically with plexiglas faces). Seems to me that they were going for an art-deco look with the structure of the letters themselves, and that the inner line that you see is a single stroke of neon that will be seen through the front and back of the letters, to reflect off the glass above the doors.

Being that the tube looks white, it very likely means it's a phosphor coated, argon filled tube - so the neon will most likely be either Blue or White.

I would hold off judgment until we see the signs lit up as the effect should be quite appealing. In a location like this, I prefer a unique approach like this over typical covered face letters that look more like retail signage.

/\ Why even allow yourself to dream? It will most likely be grey.

haha, so true....it'll likely be a grey or some derivative of that...it is mandatory in downtown toronto to have a substantial portion of grey in any building (in addition to having a substantial box component)....otherwise it would look out of place and that can result in unrelated implications, such as cutbacks in TTC service, higher fares, etc. :D

Back