^ From the PDF:
SyB4J.png

The way this project is being whittled down it will be 40 stories by the time they start construction. Tridel doesn't put up much fight.

Sorry to say but at 75 stories this project was exciting despite the mediocre aesthetics - now, it's just mediocre - if that.
Can't get very excited about a project that pales in comparison to almost everything else proposed these days.

I hope Oxford put up mor fight for height when their application goes in.

this height reduction has nothing to due with NIMBYs. its all market driven.

Sure it does. I am sure 5 stories were reduced to satisfy the NIMBYs and another 5 stories reduced so that they can apply for a 5 storey minor variance in the future, since they know well enough they will never get 75 stories out of this site. So chop off 10 stories, everyone is happy, and then come back in the future with a 5 storey variance to make it 70 stories.

Last edited:
ah, but the working group did not demand a height decrease. they said "redesign", not "shorten".no developer willingly drops 5 floors off of a building if there is demand for it and they could get it approved with the 5 floors.

ah, but the working group did not demand a height decrease. they said "redesign", not "shorten".no developer willingly drops 5 floors off of a building if there is demand for it and they could get it approved with the 5 floors.

I don't believe the "market driven" comment. There is something beyond "market driven" that ultimately chopped 10 stories off the building. I assumed the other 5 stories was willingly chopped off, but deep down inside I think the NIMBY's ultimately wanted more than 5 stories removed.

It looks like it was the city that ordered the height reduction (with Tridel all too happy to oblige?) From page 17 of the report.

Staff have undertaken a detailed review of the site and the area and are of the opinion that the
height of the residential tower should be revised to 222 metres (approximately 65 storeys) or less
for two-thirds of the roof with an architectural element permitted at the westerly edge of the roof
to a maximum height of 224 metres. This has been discussed with the applicant and agreement
has been reached on the height of the tower. The heights of the ICE development and Maple
Leaf Square were used as a reference point in determining the appropriate height for the subject
site with the intent that the subject site be less in height than the ICE east residential tower. The
stepping of the building heights from the north side to the south side of Lake Shore Boulevard

West provides an appropriate transition from the intensity of the Financial District to the lower
density development and more open landscape of the waterfront.
It should be noted that additional requests for increases in height through future Committee of
Adjustment applications or rezonings would not be supported. The intent of the transition area is
to provide a stepping down of height from the Financial District to the waterfront.
Additional
height would go further to matching the Financial District height and not fit within the intent of
providing an appropriate transition as required to respond to the context of the area.

A tease on page 6: Further discussions with the applicant since the last submission has resulted in additional
revisions to the proposal as summarized on Table 1 and which will be further elaborated in this
report. In summary, the applicant has agreed to reduce the height of the residential tower from
324 metres to 224 metres inclusive of mechanical penthouse and architectural elements. ;)

Last edited:
now that the design is so ugly who cares if it's whittled down? I'm crossing my fingers for a reduction to below 200m. And the ad on this site says it's "Toronto's most anticipated condo", it also says it has "captivated the imagination of a nation", what a crock of sh....

West provides an appropriate transition from the intensity of the Financial District to the lower
density development and more open landscape of the waterfront.
It should be noted that additional requests for increases in height through future Committee of
Adjustment applications or rezonings would not be supported. The intent of the transition area is
to provide a stepping down of height from the Financial District to the waterfront. Additional
height would go further to matching the Financial District height and not fit within the intent of
providing an appropriate transition as required to respond to the context of the area

This in a nutshell is why Toronto's skyline is not as impressive as it could be. Decades ago it was decided by some faceless planning department bureaucrat that building heights had to step-down from First Canadian Place which was established as a pinnacle. This has resulted in our tallest and best buildings ending up in a tight bundle centered around King and Bay. This has given us a situation where you can't see the forest for the trees.

Compare this to Chicago where its four super-tall towers are scattered around the downtown, each standing on its own, each unobstructed by others buildings. They can be viewed in their entirety from top to bottom. This results in a much more impressive skyline!

Another example of how city planners have done more harm than good to Toronto.

As for this project , as long as the architecture is good why should its height be limited? This is a perfect location for a 1000 ft + tower.

Last edited:
It has a very Vancouver /SL feel to it. I'm not a fan. I know Tridel had to cut costs but still.... The area needs some brick, zinc or even creatively designed precast to change the tedious glass wall look.

Some Leftwing types talk about Toronto breaking away from the rest of Ontario, but really, these new condo 'hoods look and feel like totally different cities than Toronto.

So why don't they become new cities:

"Toronto South"

etc.

Last edited:

Back